Active Topics

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 351 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Cotswolds, UK
Thanks for the info, which suggests the problem is not in the tablet. It looks like it will be worth running tests swapping different components to track down my problem.

Originally Posted by w4csc View Post
Graham, I'm using the Electronics Product Online swivel USB OTG/Host adapter
Any chance of a UK source?

Originally Posted by Graham Cobb View Post
Thanks for the info, which suggests the problem is not in the tablet. It looks like it will be worth running tests swapping different components to track down my problem.

Any chance of a UK source?
Sorry, no. I think EPO in Canada has them custom made. I've never seen any of this stuff any place else. There's a whole line of products for the tablets there. I bought their audio adapter for the mic/headphone jack and never knew there was an external mic circuit before buying it. Works perfect on Skype.

We should all support these guys for products in our little market.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by w4csc View Post
Sorry, no. I think EPO in Canada has them custom made. I've never seen any of this stuff any place else. There's a whole line of products for the tablets there. I bought their audio adapter for the mic/headphone jack and never knew there was an external mic circuit before buying it. Works perfect on Skype.

We should all support these guys for products in our little market.
Yup, that's pretty much the story; I started making USB OTG adapters by hand early last year because a few people had asked for them, and demand was so high that I ended up convincing my boss that this whole "tablet accessories thing" was a great idea. We had the swivel OTGs custom manufactured and at the same time tried to expand the offerings to cover all the other Nokia tablet specific things that just didn't seem to be out there (or easy to find in one place). Some of the items, like the "Speaky/mikey" as we like to call 'em around here, didn't exist but also couldn't be justified in "manufacturing quantity" (thousands are often required to justify manufacturing costs), so we just sourced the parts and make them ourselves. All of us here are avid electronics people with quite a bit of experience in the tools of the trade so the stuff that we make in house isn't just "thrown together" either.
It's not a highly profitable sector, but we all feel that the contributions to the community and the users is well worth it. We do have some volume discounts and things setup, so if anyone's interested in selling to their local community to help cut down the shipping costs for users in the area we'll do our best to support you and redirect requests/customers your way.
Thanks again to everyone, and if you have any ideas or requests for hardware products don't hesitate to ask!

-Rob (Manager, Electronic Product Online)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
Is there a USB OTG swivel adapter for the microUSB port on the n810? I'm only seeing n800 (miniUSB) versions.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Unfortunately there's no swivel adapter for the microUSB port (the costs at the time I had the adapters made for MicroUSB was about twice as high, so...); you can use the same adapter in combination with the MicroUSB/MiniUSB converter cable (it's not quite as awesome but it does work):
http://www.electronicproductonline.c...oducts_id=2004

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Winchester, UK
My first post - so go easy with me

I think I've found the OTG cable us N810 users need.

USB Micro male -> USB A female

I've no affliation with the seller, apart from I've just bought one

Check out eBay item 250366571928

Hope it helps

Andy

PS All I need now is Mplayer to play AVI's on a pen-drive on the end of an OTG cable - is this possible ?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moglite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by moglite View Post
PS All I need now is Mplayer to play AVI's on a pen-drive on the end of an OTG cable - is this possible ?
Yes it is, though I have had some problems with read access before.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Stuttgart, Germany
Sorry, but reading all your contributions I am still confused about how to get wired connection to the internet with my N810.
I connected a Motorola Micro USB to mini USB B adapter and further the N800 USB 360 OTG adapter and further the Linksys Etherfast 10/100 USB network adapter and connected this to the RJ45 cable coming from my router.
After a while the tablet is announcing "Connection can not be established, file system not available."
If I want to go to the internet the tablet always tries to use the WLAN connections available around.
Can somebody help me to get wired connection established to the internet.
Do I need some software installed??

From above:
For host mode, a mini-b to female-a is useful:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y6UL5E
^^^^^^^^^^^
The above cable does not connect to the N810 - the N810 requires a _micro_ USB connector - this _mini_ must have been recommended by the author for the N800.

I learned this the hard way, by ordering one, then noticing the difference. Hope this helps someone else.

Last edited by RMattB; 2009-03-30 at 04:21.

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Argentina
Hi, I have an N800 and just found a female-usb to whatever the n800 uses. I run "pb" (penguinbait's great console-tools) to set OTG or HOST mode. I've tried with 6 different makes and models of pendrives, 3 mp3 players and 2 card readers. With the pendrives I always get "Unable to connect, no file system available", some are formatted FAT16 others ext2 and all have a led. With the mp3 I get a "device not supported", so I guess those would need a powered hub. And the card readers gave no sign of life, no light went on, the tablet didn't show the usb icon, no error message.

So, the question is, what is the next step? what information should I look for? Should I buy a powered hub? (this is the only use I could give it)

thanks