Active Topics

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
I keep getting msn messanger spam messages. Not sure how that happened. Does that mean my device could have a virus or is it just my msn with the problem? Is there a way to get rid of it?
spam you recieve on msn is NOT you're fault, its your friends that have the viruses.

Posts: 27 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ cyprus
hey guys,i am new to this forum and i would like to ask if i need an antivirus for my N900.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ India
No you don't need any

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The following threads were combined to make this thread:
  • "AntiVirus" with twenty-nine posts
  • "Virus risks?" with thirteen posts
  • "Anti Virus" with three posts
  • "Anti-virus pgm for N810?" with twenty-seven posts
  • "Can N900 get a virus?" with nineteen posts
  • "antivirus" with two posts

I'm leaving this thread in "General" as this topic is a FAQ that spans all Maemo versions.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2010-01-29 at 13:52.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Nottingham
What about pop ups that wont go away? Is there any way to stop this?
Attached Images

That's java-script scare tactics. It works best on windows users and the .exe you have there is a neat trojan

The Following User Says Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
AFAIK: No gui password prompt program is available for the N900 and thus that specific solution would require manual work in making one. The other possibility is you set yourself a user password (leave root locked unless you have specific reason to need it), and then completely change your sudoers file to prompt for a password in order to gain root.
sudo can be configured to have a grace period with no password required after sudo with a password has been run. So, without changing any .desktop files or altering anything except a one time change to sudo configuration, a user could open a terminal session and type:
Code:
sudo pwd
and enter the user password, then take any other action that invokes sudo and not need a password. After timestamp_timeout expires without a sudo command being executed, a password is again required. The default it to always require a password. timestamp_timeout is set by /etc/sudoers. The n900 /etc/sudoers file does not have an entry present for timestamp_timeout, so that would have to be added and the NOPASSWD entries would have to be changed as well.
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
However, you would then need to go through and modify every .desktop file and have it launch in a terminal window instead of directly so that your terminal will ask for the password. Not elegant, and certainly not easy... not to mention extremely likely to brick the device unless you know exactly what you're doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to j.s For This Useful Post:
Hey guys,does the N900 need an antivirus and how do u use the secondary camera on the phone,cos i cant get mine on,sorry i had to buzz in cos am going off and on,could any 1 help

Last edited by saksman; 2010-03-03 at 12:20.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by saksman View Post
Hey guys,does the N900 need an antivirus and how do u use the secondary camera on the phone,cos i cant get mine on,sorry i had to buzz in cos am going off and on,could any 1 help
N900 is based on Linux and I haven't heard of a virus out for Linux yet. Most Linux antiVirus software packages just scan for virus' on other platforms to avoid passing them on in infected programs.

If you mean the camera facing the user then the app in question needs to support it. Video calls over GTalk can work with it if the other end supports video calling too.

hi the owners of 900
as we are just a step back to have USB support for our device.
in case if it ll support flash disks and other storage devices as well.
don't we need a kind of antivirus to protect our device????

Last edited by zabishah20; 2010-06-11 at 12:01. Reason: spelling corretion

Tags
770, antivirus, bora, chinook, diablo, fremantle, gregale, internet tablet os, itos, maemo, maemo 2, maemo 3, maemo 4, maemo 5, mistral, n800, n810, n900, os2005, os2006, os2007, os2008, scirocco, virus