I have just recently ran into this issue from an at&t rep. who has been backed up by multiple managers and supervisors. The claim is that removing the battery on a N900 is just a soft reset and cannot, in any event, damage the device. However they all admit they know nothing about this particular device.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't ohm's law apply here?

And if so couldn't the increase in power draw damage CPU pins, arc the motherboard socket, fry the regulators on the motherboard, melt traces on the motherboard or in the CPU, and do any number of other horrible things to the hardware?

I have been experiencing issues since the incident as listed here:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...157#post990157

Can someone provide links or other info? Google doesn't seem to be very friendly right now.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
I have pulled the battery from my (half)running Samsung OmniaHD a bazillion times when it got stuck yet again. Never hurt the hardware. And that phone uses the same TI OMAP package as N900.

It cant harm the hardware, but surely can screw the software.

Thanks. I'm glad I can rule out hardware damages.

What software damage may happen and through what way?

The Following User Says Thank You to Naomik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
All sorts of filesystem corruption basically.

The Following User Says Thank You to casketizer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
Ive dropped mine a few times and the battery went flying notihing ever happened to the phone but it did kill my sd card once

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I often switch batteries, and a number of times I didn't notice I was pulling the battery on a still-running N900. It didn't do any apparent harm.

However, if it had I would simply reboot and run Backupmenu and be fixed again in minutes.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I often switch batteries, and a number of times I didn't notice I was pulling the battery on a still-running N900. It didn't do any apparent harm.

However, if it had I would simply reboot and run Backupmenu and be fixed again in minutes.
If it had done such apparent harm as corrupted file system, you would not have been able to simply reboot and run any application.

i'm pretty sure he meant reflash

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Backupmenu works differently. You don't boot to maemo and then use app called Backupmenu.You use it before maemo even starts to boot.

Originally Posted by Mike Fila View Post
Ive dropped mine a few times and the battery went flying notihing ever happened to the phone but it did kill my sd card once
blimey howd u manage that? i accidentally DROVE over my sdcard in a gravel carpark once >.< dents and scratches all over it but it still works!