Posts: 16 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Arkansas, USA
I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on Nokia's replacement policy as far as my current situation is concerned. In another thread, I posted this:

I happened to receive a Nokia N900 by mistake from Nokia. I have a friend in Canada, her name is Giulia. She had a N900 and sent it in for repairs/replacement because it had some kind of a problem with the phone memory. The Nokia manufacturer she sent it to is based in Texas. Well, apparently Nokia Care doesn't do international service! They sent her broken phone straight back to her! She IM'd me one night and asked if I could do her a favor. She asked if she could give them my address (I'm in Arkansas) instead of hers so the replacement phone would be shipped to me. In turn, I would ship it back up to her. We agreed to do this. I received the replacement phone from Nokia, and promptly shipped it up to her. When I got home from shipping it off, I noticed another package dropped at my door from UPS, exactly like the one Nokia sent. They sent me another replacement phone, brand new, unlocked, from the factory!

I asked her about this and she said she's fine with me keeping it if I want to. We thought about calling Nokia and letting them know, but because these are replacement devices under a warranty there was no monetary transaction made. Giulia figured since she's not getting charged for them, it's no big deal. Nokia still hasn't contacted her about their error.

Because it's a replacement, it came with no battery or accessories. I guess they assume I already have those. So as a thank you given the circumstances, Giulia bought a battery, a wall charger, and a micro-USB cable (all official Nokia products, not third-party) and had them shipped to my address. I just got them yesterday.

Now to the problem at hand...

The battery appears to be working and the phone is currently charging through the wall charger. The light will flash yellow as its charging and eventually it'll turn green minus the flashing, which I've learned is normal behavior. So, I think it's charging just fine. But when I turn the phone on, it goes to the regular loading screen with the five flashing dots...and it just stays there, hangs. The system doesn't actually boot.

Any idea why it's stuck at the five dots and not booting?

Thanks,
Phil
Well, the verdict is that it's bricked. I can't even get it to charge now so that I'd be able to flash it again. It shuts off a few seconds after I turn it on with no reboot loop.

Giulia and I talked the other night about what we could do about this now. I feel bad that she sent a battery, a wall charger, a micro-USB cable, and an OtterBox case for the phone only for us to find that the phone is defective. She thought maybe we could call the shipper's number on the shipping receipt and tell them that they sent a defective product. We have all the information, even the dock door number that it came from.

We weren't aware that it's Nokia's repair center number, though! I called it and when they asked for her account information, I said "Uhh, just a moment!" and immediately hung up. So, she has to call them. I asked if she could let them know that they sent a defective phone. What are they gonna say and what's their policy on that?

Thanks,
Phil

Expect a request to return the duplicate device that was sent in error.

i cant believe the cheek of some people. you got sent a phone by mistake. Instead of doing the honest thing and returning it, you decided to keep it then complain when it doesnt work.

If you want an N900 go and buy one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mastac For This Useful Post:
Honesty is a great thing to do for people that need it, deserve it and those around you, but....

Nokia sort of screwed us over by cutting support from the N900 as soon as we bought it. Why shouldn't at least one of us screw over Nokia?

As far as I see it, they can afford such a "loss" and they deserve such a penalty, and the guy in customer service that noticed the error probably responded with "FiretrUCK IT!".

Just flash it. It'll probably solve the problem - reboot looping is /so/ common due to eMMC corruption(I think).,
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Buy a desktop charger and charge the battery that way. If it still doesn't work, you lost what, $5?

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted by mastac View Post
i cant believe the cheek of some people. you got sent a phone by mistake. Instead of doing the honest thing and returning it, you decided to keep it then complain when it doesnt work.

I cant believe the cheek of some people. Acting like Nokia would care if one person kept one phone that was sent out to them.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Arkansas, USA
Originally Posted by mastac View Post

Yes, I'll agree that the right thing would be to return it. But I'll be candid here and say that when a loophole has been discovered, I'm going to exploit it. And Giulia and I have discovered such a loophole in this situation today.

So, does this make me a bad person mastac? You're communicating with someone thousands of miles away from you through a medium which gives you no details about my personality and background. And I don't think you or anyone else on this forum or anywhere else for that matter, has a right to speak down to others about honesty and integrity like you have. I appreciate the criticism mastac, I really do, but I'm sure you would do the same damn thing if this happened to you.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Keep it Re-flash it Nokia screwed us so lovely to hear at least ONE person can screw them !!!.

Up yours Nokia hahaha one to US