Active Topics

I have to ask it again: when I connect with the N900 to an exchange server, either for reading Email from the university mail server, or to sync my calendar over Google calendar, it will not work when I use wifi, but it does work when I connect over broadband.

The wifi router does not seem to be the problem, because my android tablet works perfectly with it when reading email. Also, the N900 does surf the net when connected to wifi. It is just the connection with exchange servers that do not complete.

Are there other people with this problem, or who have a solution?

Paai

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
maybe u need to chnage your connection settings

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
I had the same issue at home over WiFi but it would work over 3G and the WiFi at work.

I read somewere that if you tuned off the Power Saving function in Advanced on the WiFi connection you are having issues with it helps/fixes the problem. It worked for me

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to electristan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 50 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Tahiti
electristan is right,
Try disabling power saving function. Most routers do not support this option and you get weird (dis)connection bugs because of it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to renowong For This Useful Post:
I do not quite see why the powersave settings would prohibit the connection with Exchange servers, but allow surfing.

Paai

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
neither do i, but have you tried it? it helped me and others so it might work for you to

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Mine also likes to stop being able to connect to Exchange server when I move from one connection to another.

I wonder if there is some DNS caching problem, when I'm at work it gets local IP address, then when I go home maybe it's trying to use the cached IP (which does not work on public internet). That's my theory, anyway...

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Could you explain a little bit more about your network topology.

Broadband is more of a buzzword that conveys very little technical meaning. Probably it would be more useful if you could explain in detail the hardware that makes up this 'broadband' link. Is it a desktop PC plugged in through wired ethernet? Is it your N900 using USB networking?

WiFi - I presume it has internet plugged in on the wan port and you're able to get correct values for your IP / Gateway / DNS and so on.

From an exchange perspective, the link really doesn't matter - wifi / wired - so long as the connection is established it will work.

Most likely (and probably this is redundant) there is a configuration issue.

@ dchky: I do not quite understand your question. Wifi is... wel, wifi, connected to my wireless router at home, and broadband is the wireless connection to the net operated by (in my case) Vodafone. Cables to a desktop PC or usb connections do not come in anywhere.

Paai

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Tahiti
It sounds to me that it's a firewall setting on your router.

If you're using POP3.
Make sure that port TCP 110 (or 995 if Exchange is using SSL) is open.

If you're using IMAP
Make sure that port TCP 143 (or 993 if Exchange is using SSL) is open.

Reno

Last edited by renowong; 2011-04-07 at 21:19. Reason: Extra info on IMAP

The Following User Says Thank You to renowong For This Useful Post: