Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Another bug I've noticed is that after the first witter oauth via the twitter website, when you've typed the number code in and pressed ok; any further attempts to add other accounts or re-auth the same account will end in that dialog box where you type the number not appearing properly. Its still drawn and the button is there, but only pops up half-way, so half the number you're trying to write is invisible, and its really hard/impossible to click on the ok button.

The only way to get it back again is to exit the app and restart it.

The Following User Says Thank You to jgbreezer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by wreckgar23 View Post
Could you let me know if running it as root prevents the crashes (not that you should do this generally)?

Is the problem you see now that the N900 menu displays "timeline", you get notifications of new tweets, but that the timeline UI itself doesn't get populated and the app is apparently locked up?

Would be good to know as I was seeing this yesterday, and would help to resolve the problem.
... yup I get that problem a lot ... I also get some crashes before that point where none of the buttons appear, and the app just hangs ...

The Following User Says Thank You to EmmaGx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Manchester
The main startup problem is with a file called portrait.py, which handles switching between portrait and landscape mode, I think. The code is basically taken from gpodder, but hasn't got the latest fixes to that code.

The version in extras-testing does. And it looks like it has sufficient karma to be promoted to extras.

http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...itter/0.3.7-2/

I can see SpandexBob has a pending request to be the maintainter. I've just put one in too just now.

Looking at bugzilla though I think there are other developers waiting to be made maintainers of their own packages so it might not be so straightforward unfortunately

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
FYI I just approved maintainer requests for 2 people. I guess that means work is going on to improve witter. I feel a little guilty to have just dropped it, but I am insanely busy with work and trying to move, so I haven't had time to even try any android development, let alone keep up with developing for a phone I don't use anymore.

I will try to respond to any direct questions about the code from anyone looking to carry on development.
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dwould For This Useful Post:
No worries - thanks for writing it in the first place! I'm between a jobs myself so can spare a bit of time over the next few weeks.

The version in extras-testing has a lot more changes than I was expecting tbh. Looks completely different! We might have some issues with the GPS positioning, for example.

Thanks for approving the maintainer requests and the offer of info on the code. That should give us what we need to update the version in extras.

The Following User Says Thank You to wreckgar23 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ London
I've promoted the newest version that was unlocked from testing.

This has been my fault for saying that I'd pick up witter and then not being able to work on it. I've now started working with wreckgar23 to give witter some more momentum. I now have more time to work on witter as well.

Last edited by SpandexBob; 2011-03-29 at 13:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to SpandexBob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Thanks for putting so much time into this guys ... it really is appreciated ... I've always wanted an easy but comprehensive twitter app on the n900 ...

... however ... the new version promoted from testing not only has all the same old issues I was having ... and despite trying to authorise it about 15 times I am getting nowhere ... it also has a number of new issues ...

... firstly, why oh why does it try activating my GPS on start-up? ... I like my battery to last & I like my privacy and hitting the checkbox to switch off location just causes a crash and frequently results in the GPS being left on even once I've managed to close an unresponsive witter ...

... also ... is there an option in the new UI to swiitch to full screen mode? ... so far as I can see (without actually having been able to activate my account) the new UI leaves about 1 inch of screen to view tweets, as the new array of buttons is taking up about 3x as much space as it really needs ... and the least of my problems is that the new version is definitely lacking in beauty!

... I'm afraid I have no programming skills so can't help with any of the real issues but I do have graphic design skills, so if you'd like UI asthetic type help please feel free to ask I will be all too hapy to contribute where I'm able!

Hopefully witter will relent & let me authorise my account soon, I'm definitely missing the way things were! x

The Following User Says Thank You to EmmaGx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I loved Witter for a long time but abandoned it because I couldn't stand it any more. I'll give it another shot. So far as I can tell, my N900 has no good Twitter client at present -- even Twimgo and Tweego seem to be gone.

Edit: Not usable, at first glance. No saved searches, slow and clumsy, and it closed itself while I was using it. I'll keep trying.

Last edited by geneven; 2011-03-31 at 03:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by EmmaGx View Post
... firstly, why oh why does it try activating my GPS on start-up? ...
It's the default setting, unfortunately. SpandexBob has updated the code to at least make the default 'off'. I found it easy to lock the handset up toggling this setting and so am looking at this issue. I think it's safest to disable it from the status bar

... is there an option in the new UI to switch to full screen mode?
I've not see one, and miss it too

... I'm afraid I have no programming skills so can't help with any of the real issues but I do have graphic design skills, so if you'd like UI asthetic type help please feel free to ask I will be all too hapy to contribute where I'm able!
Thanks! Posting on this thread or raising bugs in bugzilla is appreciated too.

Hopefully witter will relent & let me authorise my account soon, I'm definitely missing the way things were! x
I think some users of Tweego are reporting similar problems (it's pure speculation to say that the Tweego and witter setup issues are related) but I'm afraid to say that account setup has worked fine for me I think the flow of the user experience on first use could definitely be improved, but would be best with the limited time we have to focus on stability.

Originally Posted by wreckgar23 View Post
I think some users of Tweego are reporting similar problems
one issue that might affect witter as well has a workaround described here

(basically, you're better off typing in the PIN than pasting it)

Tags
python, twitter