Active Topics

Notices

Hello all,
I was just wondering if it was possible for anyone to port the new formula 1 app to N900.I loved the first f1 app for maemo but now they they have updated the android app and im a little bit jealous of all the extra information available.
Formula 1 app

I'm guessing this is going to be a bigger than job than it sounds so I wouldnt be surprised if nothing really happens but it would be a cool little app to add to our collection.

All the best.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
The Java Version works fine in Microemulator 3 (backed by Oracle JRE). I just tried the N97 Version.
http://mobile.formula1.com/download/...7/Formula1.jar
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to casketizer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by casketizer View Post
The Java Version works fine in Microemulator 3 (backed by Oracle JRE). I just tried the N97 Version.
thanks for the info casketizer

i was actually trying to do that but can't get it working.This is what i did:

- Installed Sun Java SE for Embedded
- Installed MicroEmulator
- Ran the SimpleDemo MIDlet using the command: java -cp microemulator-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT/microemulator.jar:microemulator-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT/apps/microemu-demo.jar org.microemu.app.Main org.microemu.midp.examples.simpledemo.SimpleDemoMI Dlet

everything up there went fine so i'm assuming the java environment is correctly setup, but i'm not sure what command issue in order to run the
Formula1.jar app.

Do you mind helping me out here??

Regards,

The Following User Says Thank You to bettlejuice For This Useful Post:
Start microemulator with
java -jar /opt/microemulator3/microemulator-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT/microemulator.jar

then simply open the .jar from file menu -> open midlet file.

I created a menu entry via microemulator.dektop file to start microemu.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to casketizer For This Useful Post:
Oh and you should go to options -> select device.
then select resizable device and set it as default.
That way you get semi fullscreen like my pic.

Oh and you should go to options -> select device.
cool casketizer ,,, it worked like a charm!
Although i wish there were a way to hide the top maemo bar... if i find something i post it here

regards,

Thanks casketizer and bettlejuice - followed your instructions and got it working - really pleased to get this app working. Ready for qualifying later on!!

Can someone post a complete guide for this? Since i suck at using the N900 at its best.. yesy yes i am working on it..

Originally Posted by Ketes View Post
Can someone post a complete guide for this?
I'll start by saying I'm no expert and I'm just writing what I did to (eventually) get this working on my N900. Maybe the guys I thanked before can explain better or "proper" ways of doing things but from this and another couple of posts on TMO this how I understood it to work.

I did everything as root. You need to download and "install" three things:

1) Java SE for Embedded 6 (I got ARMv7 Linux - Headful) - get it here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ads/index.html

You have to fill the requerst form and they email you a link to download the file (almost immediately). You will download a <file>.tar.gz file. Create a new directory on /opt such as /opt/microemu3 , put this file in there and uncompress it using
tar -zxvf <filename>.tar.gz

Also run this so you can run java later from anywhere:
ln -s /opt/microemu3/ejre1.6.0_21/bin/* /usr/bin/

2) Download MicroEmulator 3 - http://snapshot.microemu.org/microem...0-SNAPSHOT.zip

Again just place that on /opt/microemu3 and unzip the contents. It will create it's own directory in there - "microemulator-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT"

3) Download the official app (.jar file) here (as casketizer pointed out):

And place it on a new /opt/F1 directory (for example).

Now at this point check that you can run MicroEemulator by running this:
java -jar /opt/microemu3/microemulator-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT/microemulator.jar

If everything is OK then do this:

go to options -> select device.
I also created a desktop shortcut to automatically open the emulator and load the F1 app.

Save the formula1.png (attached) into "/opt/usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps"
and create a new file called "formula1.desktop" in "/usr/share/applications/hildon" with the following contents:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.1
Name=F1 Live
Type=Application
Comment=F1 Live Timing App
Terminal=true
Exec=/usr/bin/osso-xterm "java -jar /opt/microemu3/microemulator-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT/microemulator.jar /opt/F1/Formula1.jar"
Icon=formula1
X-Window-Icon=
X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable
Go to the desktop, add the shortcut (might be called "F1 Live" in there) and run it - should just load ME and then the app a few seconds later. I needed a reboot for the icon/image to display properly - will get blue square icon until you do that.

Hopefully it will all work fine and you will get the timing app working in time for qualifying and the race.
Attached Images

Last edited by ikirk; 2011-03-25 at 23:48. Reason: added resize info

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ikirk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ikirk View Post
I'll start by saying I'm no expert and I'm just writing what I did to (eventually) get this working on my N900. Maybe the guys I thanked before can explain better or "proper" ways of doing things but from this and another couple of posts on TMO this how I understood it to work.

I did everything as root. You need to download and "install" three things:

1) Java SE for Embedded 6 (I got ARMv7 Linux - Headful) - get it here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ads/index.html

You have to fill the requerst form and they email you a link to download the file (almost immediately). You will download a <file>.tar.gz file. Create a new directory on /opt such as /opt/microemu3 , put this file in there and uncompress it using
tar -zxvf <filename>.tar.gz

Also run this so you can run java later from anywhere:
ln -s /opt/microemu3/ejre1.6.0_21/bin/* /usr/bin/

2) Download MicroEmulator 3 - http://snapshot.microemu.org/microem...0-SNAPSHOT.zip

Again just place that on /opt/microemu3 and unzip the contents. It will create it's own directory in there - "microemulator-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT"

3) Download the official app (.jar file) here (as casketizer pointed out):

And place it on a new /opt/F1 directory (for example).

Now at this point check that you can run MicroEemulator by running this:
java -jar /opt/microemu3/microemulator-3.0.0-SNAPSHOT/microemulator.jar

If everything is OK then do this:

I also created a desktop shortcut to automatically open the emulator and load the F1 app.

Save the formula1.png (attached) into "/opt/usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps"
and create a new file called "formula1.desktop" in "/usr/share/applications/hildon" with the following contents:

Go to the desktop, add the shortcut (might be called "F1 Live" in there) and run it - should just load ME and then the app a few seconds later. I needed a reboot for the icon/image to display properly - will get blue square icon until you do that.

Hopefully it will all work fine and you will get the timing app working in time for qualifying and the race.
Being a die hard fan of F1 myself, I can't thank you enough to tell how much this article helped me to set up the F1 app in my N900.... It works awesome....Appreciate your work! Thanks a ton!