Active Topics

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I bought my 770 because I'm a geek at heart and wanted something new to hack around on.

That said, I found uses for it that I never "needed" before I had it but have become part of daily life since. I've handed it to my mom, stepdad, aunt, even uncle who has actually *never* touched a computer before, and they did fine. The uncle just clicked on bookmarks and read some news articles and was very interested in FBReader, the rest are basic computer users (ie they know how to use a web browser) and got along great.

There is still the inevitable 'cool!' factor when trying things like VOIP calls or VOIP/Video calls. I would say get yours first and see if they take a shining to it.

But really, you're comparing two completely different classes of product. The iPod Touch... ... well. If they have lots of IKEA furniture, I'm sure it will look great in their house. Otherwise...

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Apple Stores. That's the only thing that makes Apple service more palatable. Anyhow. Here's my post. I can understand why you'd be torn.

I appreciate all of the replies!

Krisse, I read your post. It's pretty inspiring! I think I'm going to give the n800 a go. The touch has some cool, novlety-esque apps, but the 800 seems to be the winner. Just wanted to make sure a non-techie could feel at home!

Originally Posted by thoughtfix View Post
Apple Stores. That's the only thing that makes Apple service more palatable. Anyhow. Here's my post.
Thoughtfix I think it's time to update that comparison to put the 810 against the touch. I want to know which has the better browser.

Ah one more thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDe1g...eature=related What version of the os is on this 810? it looks nicer /cleaner than the os on some other n800 videos on youtube (are my eyes playing tricks? is it available on the 800?)

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Tauranga, NZ
@loumt123 - Can I be your new friend? ;o)

My vote would be for the N800. Whilst I love the iPod's and their user experience (UX) really is well thought through, the closed nature of the iPod to iTunes definately puts me off a little.

The UX for the N800 really does improve with the new OS2008 firmware and once the media apps start to mature I would expect Canola or Kagu to give the iPod a decent challenge.

But for me the biggest N800 seller is that it is so community driven. If you find an annoyance or bit of functionality missing on the iPod don't go crying to Apple - they aren't listening, at least not until the next hardware upsell. Stick an idea or bug bear on these forums and some lovely person out there will usually come up with a solution quickly. The thread I started on Bluetooth switching took only a day or so for a very workable solution.

Community rocks.

If your friend types on a computer with only two fingers in hunt-n-peck mode, then just give him a pet rock.
He's just not intelligent enough to handle either an iPod Touch or a Nokia Internet Tablet.
Luckily this looks like too much of a troll-post from some blogger/reporter?

And does ANYONE want a broker who can't touch-type or at least use more than two fingers?
I know I don't want one.
Please tell me the name of the firm that employs him so I can avoid it like the plague it obviously is.

Posts: 130 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Maine & Florida - USA
N800 all the way. 800 by 480px. Open platform.

vs: iTouch/iPone: 480x320. Closed platform.

Try resizing your browser, if you haven't already to both sizes and browse the internet. You'll instantly know what works best.

First off, let me say, iball, you are INCREDIBLY rude. You don't have to be a broker to trade stock, and I never said my friend was a broker. That's really out of line to attack someone's intelligence. You, sir, have the lowest form; you don't have the intelligence to carry decent manners. I'm tempted to say other malicious remarks but I will refrain. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. Another forum Jock that thinks he owns the internet world .

Anyway,

Barney C, thanks for the input. It's very much appreciated.

Everyone else, again, thanks for the replies.

Last edited by loumt123; 2007-11-20 at 02:24.

Originally Posted by loumt123 View Post
First off, let me say, iball, you are INCREDIBLY rude. You don't have to be a broker to trade stock, and I never said my friend was a broker. That's really out of line to attack someone's intelligence. You, sir, have the lowest form; you don't have the intelligence to carry decent manners. I'm tempted to say other malicious remarks but I will refrain. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. Another forum Jock that thinks he owns the internet world .

Anyway,

Barney C, thanks for the input. It's very much appreciated.

Everyone else, again, thanks for the replies.
That's nice.