Active Topics

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Looking for the most flexible keyboard ever? Why not try Nuance flex T9?

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/03/nua...ible-keyboard/
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSGg7...layer_embedded
ANDROID MARKET: https://market.android.com/details?i...e.flext9.input

This looks like a seriously good keyboard! $4.99 may be a bit steep, but for a feature this useful, I might just pony up. Of course, this assumes that it is as good as claimed .

PS. I love how the Galaxy Tab is increasingly the de-facto android device for showing these things off. I expect the Tab to follow suit. The price/form-factor are just too irresistible.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
The Viewsonic g-tab's viewable screen angle is pretty dang horrible if you ask me:

I'd say the sweet spot when you hold it perpendicular to your eyes is only about (in landscape) 30' horizontal angle and less than 20' vertical.

If you're a righty (preferring the control buttons on your right thumb): If you put the tablet on lap, you'll have to lean forward to see the image with proper contrast. Leaning back to a natural sitting angle will darken the image (lefties will be treated to washed out image, which is the lesser of 2 evils).

oh, another thing that put me off: a dedicated power adapter port. afaik it cannot be charged through the usb/sync port. oh wait, it has what seems to be a proprietary jack on the side (wide, not unlike apple's)... i guess you'll have to buy the dock to charge?
It sounds like a typical entry level system. IMO, it pays to invest in higher quality hardware. Even if you're a cheap bastard (like yours truly), rather than suffering for 2 years, why not spend the extra $100 and have a great experience that you don't have to work-around to use? In this case (and IMHO), while the price is lower, so is the value.

Well, USB charging is not as practical as it first seems. With tablets, the size of the battery makes a 5V USB port quiver. These devices all need some sort of charging connector. Apple/Samsung/Dell got around this by using a proprietary/PDMI connector which feeds more juice to the device and also reduces port-clutter. This is (again IMO), the most elegant solution to this problem.

Another potential solution is a specialized USB port and cord with connectors for higher voltage/amperage, and possibly A/V. This would be 100% backwards compatible, though would allow the higher charge requirements for these devices.

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Chennai
hey guys it seems that SGT 8.9 & 10.1 has only 3.0 MP cam ? but in feb 2011 SGT 10.1 was supposed to have 8.0 MP cam i guess so ?

why did samsung now changed the cam for galaxy tab 10.1 from 8 to 3 MP ?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
It sounds like a typical entry level system. IMO, it pays to invest in higher quality hardware. Even if you're a cheap bastard (like yours truly), rather than suffering for 2 years, why not spend the extra $100 and have a great experience that you don't have to work-around to use? In this case (and IMHO), while the price is lower, so is the value.
Yes, definitely.

An additional $100 for a device that you'll be using extensively for even one year is just an extra $8.33 per month.

But I can see the gTab (especially at woot's deal price) to be a great value for users who prioritize performance over multimedia use.

Well, USB charging is not as practical as it first seems. With tablets, the size of the battery makes a 5V USB port quiver. These devices all need some sort of charging connector. Apple/Samsung/Dell got around this by using a proprietary/PDMI connector which feeds more juice to the device and also reduces port-clutter. This is (again IMO), the most elegant solution to this problem.
Yup, I'm 100% with you there.

Another potential solution is a specialized USB port and cord with connectors for higher voltage/amperage, and possibly A/V. This would be 100% backwards compatible, though would allow the higher charge requirements for these devices.
I browsed xda as soon as I saw (and mentioned) the side-port just now and read about a gTab compatible dock (hdmi out, usb, rj45 port and power passthrough). I've now placed the order and it seems that my gTab will soon be relegated to a useful life as home automation controller instead on this powered pedestal

(This is the dock.)

Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Is AVG trying to upsell snake-oil?

AVG, a popular free anti-virus company, is toting their wares on the Android market.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/03/avg...droid-tablets/

AVGs strategy (at least in the past) is this: give the anti-virus software away for free, then sell an upgrade for added security features. I can't help but feeling that while security is always relevant, may be overkill on this particular platform.

I wouldn't buy it. Android is supposedly very secure and this seems somewhat overkill if even effective.

Originally Posted by redscorpionkiller View Post
hey guys it seems that SGT 8.9 & 10.1 has only 3.0 MP cam ? but in feb 2011 SGT 10.1 was supposed to have 8.0 MP cam i guess so ?

why did samsung now changed the cam for galaxy tab 10.1 from 8 to 3 MP ?
Yep, Samsung downgraded the 8MP to 3MP. Likely in efforts to cut costs.

My take? It won't be hugely missed. I bet its fairly unlikely to take photos that you plan to keep with a tablet. It's more of a utility than anything, or a mechanism that you'll use during video chats.

Of course, if there were dual stereoscopic cameras, I might be persuaded to change my opinion.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
As suggested I have changed the thread title to the Android thread which is much more appropriate. Or should it be Android Tablets thread?
Hey etuoyo,

I just had an idea. What about "The Epic Android Thread"?

Thoughts?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
As far as the power goes, a non-sub port is probably necessary. Based on my experience with my S7, charging via usb would only lead to complaints.

I believe in the battery testing thread, it is mentioned that typical wires in a usb cable are good for about 1amp of power. At least for me this seems to be the case. Using a modified typical usb cord to charge, the charging rate seemed to be about 1/2 of what the stock 2amp charger (even with a charger providing 2amp). Using a heavier duty cord, it charges at a rate close to that of the stock charger.

Charging at around 1amp will very slowly charge the battery when in the car using the tablet to navigate. In my mind if you used usb charging, many people would grab any old cord to use (as a spare to keep in the car, at work, etc). The tablet would charge slowly, and you'd end up with a lot of complaints.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
As if you weren't sick of the Tab 8.9 and 10.1 already, here's another vid.

Mobile burn has updated their video to include a comparison between the Feb model and the Mar model. You can see the insanely huge difference in thickness; it really is a sight to behold.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcMilGzw1wU

Of course the reviewer gushes about the form factor. I agree, it's beautiful.

Nothing really new, so don't watch if you're not interested!

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Chennai
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Yep, Samsung downgraded the 8MP to 3MP. Likely in efforts to cut costs.

My take? It won't be hugely missed. I bet its fairly unlikely to take photos that you plan to keep with a tablet. It's more of a utility than anything, or a mechanism that you'll use during video chats.

Of course, if there were dual stereoscopic cameras, I might be persuaded to change my opinion.
that was a good one bro ,, but what will be ur call this time ? 8.9 or 10.1 is advisable by u ?

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy