Active Topics

I found this thread after having a similar experience with two different n900s. The recommended fixes work well, but unfortunately they don't do anything to prevent the problem.

From my observations, there seems to be a definite correlation between receiving multi-part SMS and corrupting the conversations database. (By multi-part I mean a text message so long that it has to be broken into two separate text messages.)

I have tested this on two n900s (both on T-Mobile USA), and the correlation is practically 100%.

Sometimes the problem doesn't appear on multi-part text messages sent between two phones on the same network. However, EVERY time my n900 receives a multi-part SMS from a phone on another network (Verizon, AT&T) the associated conversation thread disappears. At that point, the only solution is to erase the thread, or repair it as described earlier.

For me, a workable solution has been to immediately erase any SMS conversation thread that receives a multi-part text message. It's annoying, but it works.

Hope this helps.

(Also: thank you to everyone who posted other fixes.)

The Following User Says Thank You to demonspectre For This Useful Post:
hi,
i tried the command:
rm -rf .rtcom-eventlogger

however i get an error saying cannot remove .rtcom-eventlogger: read only file system...
my whole phone is currently not able to access anything however it is all still in there as i have checked via ssh... any way to fix this?

bump??????????????

Originally Posted by PSX View Post
Deletion of the DB has been covered before and hopefully shouldn't be necessary.. refer to my post #40: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=40

- Follow the instructions dump the conversations database and restore without the corrupt elements, thus keeping your whole conversation history.

Alex
had the same problem again. this, unfortunately, didn't work for me

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I've had this problem repeatedly. At first, using the solutions listed here semi worked semi consistently.

Sometimes, deleting the database helped. Sometimes, I had to delete the entire /home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger folder. Once I was able to fix the issue by changing ownership of the folder... I tried PSX's solution once, it did not, if I remember correctly, work for me.

As time has gone on, I've noticed that this problem can return after both normal reflash, and a full-blown reflash-the-eMMC reflash.

At this point, I don't know what the underlying cause is, but I suspect that the database corruption, while an "easy" victim to this bug, is only a symptom of some lower down, /home partition corruption. The "read only filesystem" error being the most indicative of that - as I have also seen the same problem both A, with this bug, and B, with other file system problems. The only other explanation beyond file system corruption (unless of course there's two separate bugs, one that affects only this database and one that affects everything) is a hardware issue, near as I can tell. The one thing that for me almost universally fixes this is rebooting repeatedly. Between that and deleting/moving the database with the messages, this bug seems to be 'fixable', but as stated above, there's nothing that "prevents" this issue.

I've enabled fsck-ing the /home partition upon boot "if necessary" in the power kernel boot options, hopefully I'll be able to report back that this solves the problem long term...

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
excuse my ignorance but im new with this stuf ... please help me.. i realy ned it!! what im doing wrong... i add a picture to see what I did!
Attached Images

Found a workaround for this today - the problem occurs because the Headers table in the /home/user/.rtcom-eventlogger/el-v1.db becomes corrupt. Happily this is repairable, on the device:

First gain root access:
Code:
sudo gainroot
..then switch to the target directory:
Code:
cd .rtcom-eventlogger
Now dump the contents of the existing database to a raw SQL file:
Code:
sqlite3 el-v1.db .dump > el-v1.db.sql
Restore the SQL to a new database:
Code:
sqlite3 el-v1.db.new < el-v1.db.sql
You may ignore SQL errors at this stage; they occur due to corruption in the source.

Now overwrite the broken DB (you may wish to back up the original file):
Code:
cp el-v1.db.new el-v1.db
Finally, ensure that the file is owned by 'user' and is in the 'users' group so it may be read by Conversations
Code:
chown user el-v1.db
chgrp users el-v1.db
Now close and re-open your Conversations app - the changes should be immediate!

Hope this helps,

Alex
hello PSX ... excuse my ignorance but im new with this stuf ... please help me.. i realy ned it!! what im doing wrong... i add a picture to see what I did!
Attached Images

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
First gain root access:
Code:
sudo gainroot
--> http://wiki.maemo.org/Root_access#rootsh

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
@ gavplus:

You can skip the first command for this operation and do the rest.

Reason is the rtcom-eventlogger folder and its files are owned by the user.

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Hello folks,

my question isn't 100% topic related but i want to know where the conversation (sms, im etc) file is stored because i want to restore only conversation from a full backup and http://wiki.maemo.org/Backing_up_N90...2FSIP_accounts didn't help that much because there's no dedicated file for it on my N900 (with ssh)

any help?

Tags
misused tags, troll tags, troll thread