Active Topics

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I think they were already CLEARLY aiming in that direction considering how they revamped the calendar and other apps on the Samsung Galaxy Tab as it is and even included a free copy of ThinkFree Office and made such a good, comfortable tablet keyboard.
Here's the question: is Sammy the only major player to target this market with this class of device?

RIM seems to have abandoned the enterprise with the playbook... Even the name seems targeted towards the average consumer. It's as if RIM is trying to separate itself from the enterprise.

Apple is clearly targeting the general consumer with the iPad. Motorola, HP et. al. seem to also target this segment.

Who's left?

There's tons of money to be made over generations of devices (by virtue of being adopted), and I bet that Samsung knows it -- RIM exploits this characteristic. Differentiating the Tab sizes is a brilliant move as they have an in for the enterprise without compromising the Tab brand.

Were I a CEO, this would make a compelling solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
I dunno... the tapering make it hard to really tell.
Not only the tapering, but also the sheen of the metal. It gives the impression of further thinness where none exists.

It's like the Galaxy Tab 7 being called 'thick' when compared to the original iPad despite it clearly being thinner. Sometimes it's all in the shape.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Here's the question: is Sammy the only major player to target this market with this class of device?

RIM seems to have abandoned the enterprise with the playbook... Even the name seems targeted towards the average consumer. It's as if RIM is trying to separate itself from the enterprise.

Apple is clearly targeting the general consumer with the iPad. Motorola, HP et. al. seem to also target this segment.

Who's left?

There's tons of money to be made over generations of devices (by virtue of being adopted), and I bet that Samsung knows it -- RIM exploits this characteristic. Differentiating the Tab sizes is a brilliant move as they have an in for the enterprise without compromising the Tab brand.

Were I a CEO, this would make a compelling solution.
I agree.. and it's a very smart move. Business NEEDS something like this--and this is RIGHT up my alley. THIS is where I like to live--in the business solutions biz. I think Samsung is clearly becoming a driver for Android now (as if the move from HTC-made devices to Samsung-made devices for the Google flagship phones isn't indication enough).
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
I agree.. and it's a very smart move. Business NEEDS something like this--and this is RIGHT up my alley. THIS is where I like to live--in the business solutions biz. I think Samsung is clearly becoming a driver for Android now (as if the move from HTC-made devices to Samsung-made devices for the Google flagship phones isn't indication enough).
Samsung is the major driver after the Android explosion thanks in no small part to the Galaxy S, and this looks to continue with the Galaxy S2 and now the Galaxy Tab.

I'm not sure what Google's strategy is, but it seems to be giving all major players a bit of love for flagship devices. I don't think that they're restricting this to the top-most echelon, but they are certainly restricting this to the top-most stratum of industry heavyweights.

But I agree, this is needed in business. It's a niche surprisingly sorely under represented... until now.

Here's a peak at the US Galaxy Tab 8.9:

http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-...nch-us-version

Much like the Euro version that was previewed Ad nauseam during todays event, this device is sleek. The notable difference seems to be the material on the back -- it's not textured, but easier to grip.

Follow the link for plenty of shots.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
So what's the difference between 8.9 and 10.1 version, other than the screen size and battery capacity?

And btw.... goodness, couldn't (and shouldn't) they just round the model numbers as Tab 9 and Tab 10.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
So what's the difference between 8.9 and 10.1 version, other than the screen size and battery capacity?

And btw.... goodness, couldn't (and shouldn't) they just round the model numbers as Tab 9 and Tab 10.
Must be a Korean thing. You'd never understand.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I get it.. it's to establish numerical superiority...

I can imagine the iterations... Tab2, Tab2 8.9 and Tab2 10.1... by then they'll probably have figured out another optimal form factor: Tab 6.3.

Looking at this set of model names, I think Jobs may have stuck with a single form factor for iPad just to stay away from all this confusion.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
I get it.. it's to establish numerical superiority...

I can imagine the iterations... Tab2, Tab2 8.9 and Tab2 10.1... by then they'll probably have figured out another optimal form factor: Tab 6.3.

Looking at this set of model names, I think Jobs may have stuck with a single form factor for iPad just to stay away from all this confusion.
Just wait until they get into the third generation Tabs.

The ALL NEW 14" Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.14

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Amen brother.

I too get confused with things being different sizes. Look at phones - why aren't they all the same size? Laptops. Even desktops come in different sizes.

Not only are they different sizes with in a group, but each group contains things that are wildly different in size to other groups. Why isn't everything the same size?!

I appreciate it would introduce some ergonomic difficulties if cars and mobile phones were the same size, but at least it would put an end to all the confusion.

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy