Active Topics

Hello,

A bunch of my widgets are now invisible. These include calander, rss, qbw, gps recorder, omweather, foreca weather, media player.

The widgets that are visible are the Google and Ovi Store shortcut widgets (but not shortcuts I have added myself) and two Contact widgets.

I know the widgets are still there, because if I go to desktop edit mode, I get the X and spanner icons. If I try to delete the invisible widgets I can, but hildon-desktop becomes unresponsive.

The Desktop menu does not respond.

I have tried changing the theme back to default, and I have fscked MyDocs.

I have CSSU installed.

Any suggestions on how to fix?

Banned | Posts: 78 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Dec 2010
On Xterminal:
Code:
root
killall hildon-desktop
killall hildon-home
Not sure about this but happened to me once and this is how I fixed it.

I have rebooted several times and killed both hildons a few times, without any change.

hildon-home is taking all remaining CPU, so around 95% most of the time. So something is up with the hildon-home configuration I guess.

How can I reset the desktop configuration?

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
I have rebooted several times and killed both hildons a few times, without any change.

hildon-home is taking all remaining CPU, so around 95% most of the time. So something is up with the hildon-home configuration I guess.

How can I reset the desktop configuration?
This actually happens a lot if there are a lot of heavy widgets in your setup. Your configurations should all be preserved. Just go to each desktop and load the widgets that were on that screen and they should go exactly to the same place and with the same setup as they were before disappearing. This used to happen to me a lot and when I got annoyed I just reduced the amount of widgets and got rid of the heavy ones.

Originally Posted by abuelmagd View Post
This actually happens a lot if there are a lot of heavy widgets in your setup. Your configurations should all be preserved. Just go to each desktop and load the widgets that were on that screen and they should go exactly to the same place and with the same setup as they were before disappearing.
Thanks abuelmagd, you may have missed the part where I said they were invisible, not disappeared. They are still present, just are not rendering.

I think the RSS widget is the one that is causing the problems.

Hi Paulkoan, did you find a solution to this? The same has happened to my phone except everything has disappeared from the desktop except the Mycontacts widget (I think, unless my memory is playing tricks) which I have since uninstalled but this did not help. The problem is also causing the battery life decrease massively, I assume due to hildon home using most of the CPU power and also causes some of the graphics in the menus to have slight glitches. I'm very reluctant to reflash if it can be avoided as it takes me so long to get everything back to the way I like it as it takes so long. Thanks

Just to clarify, most of my widgets are still there, just not displaying until you go into desktop menu mode when you can see the spanner and close icons and I cannot get into desktop menu.

Yes, it sounds like the same problem. In my case it was an issue with the RSS widget. I worked it out by removing the invisble widgets and adding them back one by one.

Once the rss widget was added, the problem returned. I cleaned out the .osso_rss_feed_reader folder (after saving feedlist.opml) and it fixed the problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:
Cheers for the advice mate, I followed your instructions and it seems to have been something in .osso_rss_feed_reader folder causing the problem. Nice one

Out of interest, do you have any of the same RSS feeds as me? I only have 3; Sky Sports Man Utd, Sherdog Recent News and Gareth Davies Telegraph MMA and Boxing Correspondent. I only ask as this issue seems to have come for us at about the same time so I'm wondering if it was a feed item from one of these.

Tags
invisible, widgets