Active Topics

Most videos online are in flv formats, we all know that mobile phones and digital devices can’t support flv videos. Therefore, if we want to download flv or flash videos to these gadgets, we not only need to download them off website, also need to convert these downloaded videos into proper files that can meet our portable players requirements. Yesterday, I find a download-helper Video Download Suite when I search tool to save Vimeo videos. This tool is a multi-functional helper, it owes downloading and conversion function. There is a page about how to save Vimeo videos what I read yesterday shows the guide tutorial of how this tool works.

You don't need any fancy apps to do that sort of thing on the n900:

Just follow these steps:
1. Open the video that you want to see on microB.
2. Wait for the video to fully buffer on the browser window.
3. Open file manager and go to tmp folder.
4. Copy the file that shows up there and rename it with the extension .flv. If youve got only one browser window open then theremll only be file seen.
5. Open the renamed file and watch the video offline to check if it works.
6. Click Thanks! below this post.
7. Watch the video again and wash your hands.

That's all.

Last edited by di1in; 2011-03-15 at 21:09.

Doesn't "Tempy" downloadable from via the Apps Manager do what the OP requested?

cause the flash video could not be played and detected on nokia n900, you have to convert the video into the right format for mobiles, first download this video on your own local discs, convert flv to avi, mp4, mgp, 3gp etc.

cause the flash video could not be played and detected on nokia n900, you have to convert the video into the right format for mobiles, first download this video on your own local discs, convert flv to avi, mp4, mgp, 3gp etc.

Last edited by scottkt602; 2011-11-11 at 03:30.

rtmpdump is the tool for this. A command line tool that 'rips' flash content. The main downside is there are quite a lot of flags (switches) that need to be used to make it work properly. However, it does what it says on the tin: file-dumps streams from rtmp (protocol for flash).

It is is available in the repos. Unfort, it's an old version (1.9) which I have found progressively unreliable. A recent version (2.4) is in the Debian armel repositories but not sure it can be made to work on the N900 or even the N950. Perhaps in EasyDebian?

Also ffmpeg is required to extract from flv to the more generic mp4:
ffmpeg -i <input.flv> -vcodec copy -acodec -copy <output.mp4>
If the output file is libavc profile Main (or higher) it will only play with MPlayer, not N900 media player.

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ Nairobi Kenya
Originally Posted by StOoZ View Post
my solution is: wait for the video buffering to end,completly, the go to
/home/user/MyDocs/tmp

copy that file to wherever u want and rename it to anything that ends with .flv
Hi,
I had this working; "then go to
/home/user/MyDocs/tmp" until I did an upgrade of my stock flash player. Am still stuck with it but when a youtube video is playing, the /temp folder has nothing. I like the upgrade cos I get to choose the video quality I need.

Or is there another folder I should check for the stream?

Please assist.

Regards,
Freddie

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
When buffering is finished, do
Code:
lsof | grep Flash

The Following User Says Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 132 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ Nairobi Kenya
Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
When buffering is finished, do
Code:
lsof | grep Flash
I did exactly so and nothing happened, it just went back to;
N900:#

Somewhere I should check for it? Or another succeeding action I should action?

Thanks for your help Sir.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Freddie,

I was assuming you have a browserd window open that runs the flash, for instance a youtube video or so. Once it has buffered enough to start playing, one would open a terminal window while leaving the browserd window running. The command should give you a tmp location.

If it doesn't and you proceeded as described, it may be something different than a flash file. In that case: Perhaps share the URL you're trying to watch/download?