Active Topics

Poll: Which OS would you like to have on your next smartphone?
Poll Options
Which OS would you like to have on your next smartphone?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I've asked, I've researched, I've hunted down any documents I could have... hell, I bought stock so I could see if that would net me more information of their sales.

But as it stands, it didn't happen. I've yet to find out the true N900 sale numbers.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I plan to go to a dumb phone + tablet combo next. While it lasts, the N900 and a tablet will be great.

I think it's delusional to spend big sums on pocket technology. It just isn't worth it.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
Next Phone?
I try every phone I can get my hands on.....conclusion thus far?

I'm going to make my N900 last as long as I can.

I'm currently looking for a spare.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grok For This Useful Post:
Posts: 212 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on May 2010 @ India
I ve disabled the symantec for one day to install and try out Backtrack,the next day i was with loadful of virus in my windows xp.I hated it and since then i have been happily married ubuntu.One day i got a nice baby named maemo.The community around me has been so helpful that i now know how to educate my lil one.How can i afford to lose my cute baby?Tell me boys?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to udaychaitanya16 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I plan to go to a dumb phone + tablet combo next. While it lasts, the N900 and a tablet will be great.

I think it's delusional to spend big sums on pocket technology. It just isn't worth it.
Yea, tablets are cheapo things Anyway, I understand where you are coming from. But tablets are too large, and the good ones doesn't have hw keyboard. A more modern N900, 4 inch hi res screen, hw keyboard would be perfect. OS? Symbian is by far preferable, but Maemo is fine also.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I've yet to find out the true N900 sale numbers.
Sales figures are one thing, a more significant (IMHO) number would be devices still in use. One way to see that trend might be download stats on repository.maemo.org.

Originally Posted by govprog View Post
Now added a poll.
But just one side note:when I said maemo/meego I also meant any similar operating systems too(debian or meego alike(I think meego is fedora based if I am not wrong.))
Fedora uses the RPM package distribution system, while Maemo uses the Debian system. I am not sure whether Maemo is based on Debian or written from the ground up, but it isn't based on Fedora.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
Meego is based mainly on Moblin as I've seen, and that one was based just partially on Fedora. I think Maemo is closer to Debian than Meego to Fedora.
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Long Island, New York
where's the symbian option...its not dead yet

Lover of Music, Technology & Travel
If I'm not logged in, I'm probably jetsetting to a city near you...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Sales figures are one thing, a more significant (IMHO) number would be devices still in use. One way to see that trend might be download stats on repository.maemo.org.
I disagree here. Just the sales numbers would be accurate to gauge what's been sold and more accurate than what was shipped for instance.

The download stats - I know from even my time/experience that I downloaded the same thing multiple times due to either reformats, updates that went wonky or me screwing up my own install and starting back again with a new install.

So those numbers are a bit inflated. And in some cases, not wholly reliable - some of the best apps got minimum downloads for some reason.

Last edited by gerbick; 2011-03-06 at 21:38.