Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I'm surprised at milestone 3, where you are wishing to provide apps for the UX.
Yes, you see it right. This is because we're not just working on a window manager. We want our users to have a cool experience while using our UX.

I don't wish to dampen your plans, but isn't that being a bit ambitious? Shouldn't you just concentrate on getting the UX running
See milestones 0-2

then allowing people to run Maemo and MeeGo apps?
Milestone 2 is all about this.

Or am I missing something that requires you to do your own app porting/writing?
I'll give you a list about what requires us to do this. The list is not fully complete, it's just the things that popped in my mind now.
  • Nice-looking applications should be part of the user experience. Users can't use a bare desktop for anything, without applications.
  • We're considering the use of most of the MeeGo applications in our UX. Sadly, there aren't applications for everything (eg. no app manager), and also, MeeGo apps are not really complete yet.
  • Maemo 5 official apps (Web, Conversations, Media player, etc) are closed

Conclusion of the above points: we need applications if we actually want any users to use our work. For the above reasons, there are no fully complete apps that we can just use from upstream. So we have the choice to either contribute to some of the MeeGo reference apps to make the work, or port a desktop app, or write our own.

Either way, we need to get involved in this kind of work. How we make our choice will probably depend on how much work those choices require.

Last edited by Venemo; 2011-02-19 at 11:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Looks very nice.
Could its interface be trimmed to suit small mobile device screen?
I should have thought twice before suggesting it, I don't think the interface is very touch friendly...

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
See milestones 0-2
Thanks Venemo. I did read the earlier milestones but what I was worried about was that you were waiting to integrate apps before even making a beta release. What worries me about this is a delay to your beta release.

It seems to me that your project would be useful even if users could only use existing open-source MeeGo and Maemo apps, and a beta release of the "desktop" only would get you more testers (many people won't install things until they are at least beta).

Regarding closed-source Maemo apps, although obviously you cannot distribute them, you could provide a script that users could run in Maemo to copy the binaries to a filesystem where they could be used by MeeGo/Cordia.

Regarding whether to work on the MeeGo reference open-source apps or to port desktop ones, I haven't looked closely at this, but personally I like the idea of more people working on the MeeGo reference apps.

Last edited by pelago; 2011-02-19 at 14:30.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by mas5acre View Post
My fingers are much to big for a tiny x to close a program if meego was running on anything but a resistive screen.I experienced difficulty to closing apps iusing touchscreen, tx2500z vista tablet. If I read correctly, you want this to run on other devices outside n900.
I'm not sure if this will be a problem. There is an ignored minority of people who don't particularly mind resistive screens and stylii in lieu of other aspects such as openness.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Regarding closed-source Maemo apps, although obviously you cannot distribute them, you could provide a script that users could run in Maemo to copy the binaries to a filesystem where they could be used by MeeGo/Cordia.
No, MeeGo is not binary compatible with Maemo, due to its use of floating point registers.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Most of Maemo apps are closed.
Most of MeeGo apps are PoC.

We need to replace:
- Conversations (with Empathy)
- Modest (with Evolution Express)
- Calendar
- Browser UI
- Media Player (DeaDBeeF maybe?)
- Picture Gallery
- Application Manager
- ?
I'm sure I missed some...
Modest isn't closed, but I still think you should replace it. I guess, even though it is a Maemo app, you're grouping it in the second category.

The browser should probably just be Fennec / Firefox Mobile, because it is mostly compatible with MicroB, and it is still being developed.

As for the media player, what about using kmplayer? I have installed "aqualung" in Easy Debian because it works with Maemo's alsa/pulse, but like most desktop media players, the controls aren't very mobile-friendly...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Do the apps need to be Qt based or will gtk apps work? I know gtk is going to be community supported in meego.

The Following User Says Thank You to manavs For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by manavs View Post
Do the apps need to be Qt based or will gtk apps work? I know gtk is going to be community supported in meego.
We want both Qt and Gtk apps to work under our UX.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Thanks Venemo. What is the best way to setup a test environment to test some apps. is there a scratchbox type setup, etc?

The Following User Says Thank You to manavs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by manavs View Post
Thanks Venemo. What is the best way to setup a test environment to test some apps. is there a scratchbox type setup, etc?
http://wiki.meego.com/SDK

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:

Tags
cordia, fremantle ux, hildon, maemo 5 ux, meego, sanctuary, the garden