Active Topics

I am hoping to say with Nokia but am very disappointed with going to Windows 7. I think it is a big mistake and they will have to pay for it. I am interested in the E7-00. The main thing about is that its so expensive. Looks like over $800 which is a heck a lot of money. I don't want to leave Nokia or Symbian but I am also looking at the Sony Ericsson Xperia Pro. It looks like a very good maching. It runs on Android Gingerbread.

I have had Nokia devices since the N-Gage QD through the communicators, E62, N97 and N900. But If all they have left is Windows 7 I will be gone too.

Thanks,
Bob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rootytooty For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
fair enough. Android for now to disrupting Nokia ecosystem

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
This is where N900 comes in Handy
I'm actually trying to figure out how to use the N900 as a in car computer (in terms of audio media) once I move onto an HTC Pyramid + iPad2 combo.

Ideally:
I want to hook up the N900 so it powers on when the car engine is turned on with the FM transmitter turned on automatically. Then I can control it via the Android smartphone or the iPad2.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
no one else buying an android while waiting for meego?
If I wanted Android I would have bought it ages ago. It is still not the mobile OS that I want, and it's in Google's own interests to ensure it never is.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I'm actually trying to figure out how to use the N900 as a in car computer (in terms of audio media) once I move onto an HTC Pyramid + iPad2 combo.

Ideally:
I want to hook up the N900 so it powers on when the car engine is turned on with the FM transmitter turned on automatically. Then I can control it via the Android smartphone or the iPad2.
I think you can hot wired the N900 USB to the car battery using some power reduction diods and resistors to reduce and limit the voltage flow to the N900 through charging method. And wired it to the ignition of the car wire.

Once you're done this then you can write a small script to limit the N900 functionality:

If N900 is charging = false then
stop pausing the music and disable FM transmitter
else if N900 is charging = true then
enable FM transmitter and Start the music
Leave the screen stay on

lol technically it's harder than it sound

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
I think you can hot wired the N900 USB to the car battery using some power reduction diods and resistors to reduce and limit the voltage flow to the N900 through charging method. And wired it to the ignition of the car wire.

Once you're done this then you can write a small script to limit the N900 functionality:

If N900 is charging = false then
stop pausing the music and disable FM transmitter
else if N900 is charging = true then
enable FM transmitter and Start the music
Leave the screen stay on

lol technically it's harder than it sound
Ah, I was wondering if there a way to exploit the N900 turning on to charge itself. Ideally I would just leave it plugged in somewhere (hidden). And it would just turn on when the engine turns on to charge itself.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
no one else buying an android while waiting for meego?
Not me... I discovered something rather unbelievable when I bought my first smartphone (an iPhone) -- smartphones are actually boring. Sure, you can buy tons of cute little apps to run on them, or buy lots of songs to play on them, or even purchase movies to watch on them; but that's the rub. The way they are designed today, a smartphone is basically just a little TV. I felt myself turning into a couch potato just holding the thing. You could do anything you wanted with the device, so long as what you wanted to do was buy some sort of media and sit back and watch it run.

I like the N900 because it is a phone plus general purpose computer. I'm never going back to the smartphone; if no successor to this device appears, I'll just tote around a dumb phone and a laptop. I see no point in spending money on something I just don't use...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
@Laughing Man, well, you'd have to wait for it to boot up, which i would expect would take longer than your car to start. I'd suggest maximuscool's train of thought. Keep it on, with no widgets/apps running, and just set a dbus controlled command to enable/disable fm transmitter depending on wether its charging or not. It should automatically recharge the battery when the car is running.

as for the topic. I'm hesitant to make the jump to Android until the Meego device is out. I'd rather wait and see, and fork out for a top end model later only if i have to make that move.

The Following User Says Thank You to porselinaheart For This Useful Post:
@porselinaheart,

Yeah but I think I'm not willingly want to be an early adopter any more. I want to go for something usable for now and if MeeGo is getting better then I don't mind to go back on beside, i'm not in a hurry to get a MeeGO device since N900 is getting MeeGO testing on it. Hopefully by the time MeeGo Nokia coming out, N900 will be natively running it from the internal ROM.

For me, buying another phone right now while my n900 still serves me quite well and there are only incremental improvements on the market (if any) would be throwing money out of the door.

The mobile industry is developing in a remarkable pace, i think i'll wait for something more exciting

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, s2 arc astrix, s2 ftw, s2=super phone