Active Topics

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Utah, America
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
Been thinking of doing the same thing. Good deal. N900 might be the last great Nokia device. Though I am excited by Meego. A back street experimental OS is very exciting.
No need to be excited about meego its dead since nokia chose windows os as their main OS for any future phones.

So it wouldnt be a bad idea to get a second N900.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by n900faniam View Post
would be better of buying atari's (remember them..........died in the 80's). I love my N900 but today's announcement in the death knell for maemo
Heh, I've still got a 1040ST and a Mega 4 ST sitting up in my attic.

But honestly, Linux is a different beast entirely. My first Linux box was a wonderful Micron PC I got when I finally gave up on my Ataris. Micron, of course, stopped making PCs more than a decade ago, but I'm still using all the same programs I had back then; in fact, most of them run on the N900.

Maemo/Meego may have just suffered a setback, but unlike corporate hardware and software, Linux is immortal. The ideas and algorithms will still be sitting out there even if Nokia abandons the idea of selling open-source cell phones. Eventually, somebody will pick them up.

And besides, how long can it be before end users can just start pulling hardware off the shelf and start building their own home-brew phones?

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
I got feeling years from now the N900 will become a colectors item, a cult device, being sold for several thousands at auctions, kinda like old home computers and video game consoles.

Smart move. I am planning to get a spare too, in case of something happens to this... and the second one could be a sandbox for devel-sw.

Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by Dr. Drips View Post
It's starting to remind me to the Amiga
I am feeling sad now. I loved my old miggies. I still have an A1200 with a 68040 accelerator. Why is it that the platforms I am comfortable with (and I love) just die? Damn it.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
After hearing about the so-and-so future of MeeGo at Nokia, I started keeping my N900 on a pillow at all times, and I carry it inside my backpack between 4 pillows.

This thing's just gained epic status as the last truly innovative device to ever leave Nokia, and will be a unique part of Nokia's history in retrospect. I expect to sell this buddy for 1000€ in about 6 yrs.

Haha I kid!

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by skalogre View Post
I am feeling sad now. I loved my old miggies. I still have an A1200 with a 68040 accelerator. Why is it that the platforms I am comfortable with (and I love) just die? Damn it.
a1200 with 040 and 166mhz 603e powerpc accelerator, mediator pci bridgeboard and voodoo3 graphics card was my last amiga setup, crazy to think i'm typing this on something many times more powerful, my n900...

Now, if we could port amigaOS 4 to the n900.....

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
I expect to sell this buddy for 1000CNY in about 6 yrs 60 yrs - FTFY cjp

The Following User Says Thank You to Duffer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Duffer View Post
I expect to sell this buddy for 1000CNY in about 6 yrs 60 yrs - FTFY cjp
To your post I say haha

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I bought a second, used n900 on ebay. And I feel good for that