Posts: 205 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ manila, philippines
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Why not? You yourself noted the amazing amount of money Nokia will be saving by not developing an OS; they could save just as much money by not developing any hardware. If there's no business advantage in having an operating system built under your own control and to your own specifications, then surely there's also no business sense in messing around with your own hardware designs either. Let somebody else do all the real work, and Nokia can just sit back and let the bucks roll in...
hardware is nokia's pride. they make the most beautiful and well built handsets. outsourcing the job will mean losing their legacy.

as for software. (if it is not yet obvious to you), it speaks very well for itself.

The Following User Says Thank You to shockgiga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on May 2010 @ NewYork
Originally Posted by mmurfin87 View Post
Zune is absolutely not a fail.

Zune marketplace has actually recently been gaining considerably on iTunes and will only increase in the future.

I'm not talking about Zune MarketPlace, I'm talking about the Zune

Hummm lets see, is the ZUNE a Fail?.....Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zune
In January 2009 Microsoft's quarterly earnings filing with the SEC indicated that Zune sales had fallen $100 million from 2007 to 2008 during the fourth quarter of the calendar year. The Wall Street Journal estimated that sales appear to have dropped from about $185 million during the holiday period in 2007 to just $85 million in 2008.....Zune market share decreased to 2% in the first half of 2009,
ZUNE 2010 It sales fell more Source:http://www.informationweek.com/news/...2002863&pgno=2
Sales of Zune and related products were off 14% in Microsoft's most recent quarter
ZUNE=FAIL
ProTip. Don't attack Facts with opinions.

The Following User Says Thank You to deyons For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by shockgiga View Post
hardware is nokia's pride. they make the most beautiful and well built handsets. outsourcing the job will mean losing their legacy.

as for software. (if it is not yet obvious to you), it speaks very well for itself.
I'm being facetious here. In truth, what is obvious to me is that in the cellphone market today, there are three hot names -- Apple (a company that designs all hardware and software internally), Google (a company almost purely devoted to software), and Microsoft (another company almost purely devoted to software). Of all the cellphones on the market, pretty much only Nokias were not under the direct control of these three companies. (Yeah, webos is around there somewhere too.) Today, people don't go looking for a Motorola phone or an HTC phone, they look for an Android phone or a Windows phone. There may be slight differences in the hardware provided by different manufacturers, but only hard-core enthusiasts worry about that; the average end user only wants to make sure they can continue to use all the apps they've bought and enjoy the same user interface.

Nokia has just chosen to not be one of the few software companies, and join the rest of the forgettable mass of commodity cellphone manufacturers. This means they will have to try and compete purely on price against the chinese manufacturers on the low end, and hope they can somehow distinguish themselves on the high end against all the other manufacturers producing phones that run exactly the same software in exactly the same manner as their own. A tall order, in my opinion...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I'm being facetious here. In truth, what is obvious to me is that in the cellphone market today, there are three hot names -- Apple (a company that designs all hardware and software internally), Google (a company almost purely devoted to software), and Microsoft (another company almost purely devoted to software). Of all the cellphones on the market, pretty much only Nokias were not under the direct control of these three companies. (Yeah, webos is around there somewhere too.) Today, people don't go looking for a Motorola phone or an HTC phone, they look for an Android phone or a Windows phone. There may be slight differences in the hardware provided by different manufacturers, but only hard-core enthusiasts worry about that; the average end user only wants to make sure they can continue to use all the apps they've bought and enjoy the same user interface.

Nokia has just chosen to not be one of the few software companies, and join the rest of the forgettable mass of commodity cellphone manufacturers. This means they will have to try and compete purely on price against the chinese manufacturers on the low end, and hope they can somehow distinguish themselves on the high end against all the other manufacturers producing phones that run exactly the same software in exactly the same manner as their own. A tall order, in my opinion...
I agree now there is nothing distinguishable going on. Its not like Nokia will be the only guy selling windows right?

I see this as a soulless gutless decision.

Just from the top of my head: Maya, VLC, Skype, Photoshop.
Now go thank more people that spread MS FUD and post some more of that ******** propaganda

Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
Ballmer did not lay awake at night worrying about a framework primarily used for Linux desktop KDE applications. Can you think of one major piece of software available on Windows, Mac and Linux that was written with Qt? I don't mean an open-source project; I mean a piece of commercial software. Developers were not chomping at the bit ready to port their Windows software to the 2% worldwide desktop Linux market. Windows developers are using things like .NET, not Qt. The Mono project would probably be more of a worry for Ballmer than Qt.

Last edited by Daneel; 2011-02-15 at 00:41.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ the netherlands
what got intel up on it's sleeve? http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/14/e...meego-but-why/

The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Drips For This Useful Post:
Obi-Intel - you are our only hope !

Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
I'll accede that that's certainly a possibility. Where I would like to disagree though is that at times I feel I have repeated myself in ways that ascend into the inhumanly possible. Please don't ask for explanations, as it involves the use of something called the Nokianomicon.... [Unless you're a Lovecraft fan, you won't get it.]
Nokianomicon? Guess what, we have an ancient one on the loose, straight outta R'lyehmont, and I'm afraid he's going to bring an end to the world: Elophulu has risen.

You're with them, I take it? Now I guess I know too much and I'll likely disappear soon.

Last edited by number41; 2011-02-15 at 01:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to number41 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by number41 View Post
Nokianomicon? Guess what, we have an ancient one on the loose, straight outta R'lyehmont, and I'm afraid he's going to bring an end to the world: Elophulu has risen.
And the Lovecraft love continues...

You're with them, I take it? Now I guess I know too much and I'll likely disappear soon.
Nokia fhtagn.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Originally Posted by deyons View Post
I'm not talking about Zune MarketPlace, I'm talking about the Zune

Hummm lets see, is the ZUNE a Fail?.....Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zune

ZUNE 2010 It sales fell more Source:http://www.informationweek.com/news/...2002863&pgno=2

ZUNE=FAIL
ProTip. Don't attack Facts with opinions.
Maybe you should make your assertions with more clarity than "ZUNE-Fail". Zune is an umbrella brand for several services and devices.

Granted the Zune never took over the market for portable media players. That said, it sold MILLIONS and made LOTS of people very satisfied. Thats hardly a fail.

Furthermore the device itself lead into the marketplace and services that not only continue to this day, but are gaining competitively in marketshare against the leader iTunes. In that sense the device is most certainly not a fail, no matter how many or few physical devices it sold.

Protip I don't like heated arguments, so please start acting like an adult so that I can treat you like one.

I'm not saying Zune is objectively and quantitatively awesome (although I subjectively believe so). I'm just saying its not a failure. The facts support me.

The Following User Says Thank You to mmurfin87 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, meego rip