Banned | Posts: 78 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Dec 2010
Why can't I edit TAAAAAAAAAGS, WHAAAAAAA,WHAAAAAA

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
The thing is, Quim, although your own passions are pure, you've always been the apologist for the corporate behemoth, never prepared to risk your neck and your job to do what Maemo/Meego needed for success within the stifling bureaucratic "play-it-safe" environment that Nokia seems to represent.

Of course you're perfectly entitled to do that, and I don't criticize you for it in any way.

But maybe the outcome would have been different if you'd said to your manager "Stuff you, I'm going to embrace our Maemo developers" instead of saying to us "Well, you know, for corporate reasons we are constrained to work in these disfunctional ways".
So now it's Quim's fault?

I'd like to see you risk your job and sole source of income when you're living in a foreign country along with your wife and family.

I'm sure we'd all like to hear it straight, and I'm sure Quim would on many occasions like to have been able to tell it straight, but the realities of being a professional and real life can be so burdensome at times...

We can all deduce what's going on given the announcements and it's not pretty, it's actually quite shabby, sad and underhand, but that's nothing to do with Quim.

The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
they way i look at it is that this is a major blow for all the software developers at nokia.
They got passed over completely in 1 go (this is how i read it now)
Its just a major stab in the back. If i was working at nokia on Meego,QT or Symbian and i know i would get a job somewhere else pretty soon, i would resign immediately ...

How on earth is it possible that Nokia that has as far as i know 1 of the biggest R&D budget in its industry was impossible to do anything them self? And now there whole software stack they build up is completely replaced by Microsoft code?

I am on the other hand really interested in the customization Nokia can do with WP7... because normally WP7 can't be changed the way other phone makers all do with Android.. (which is by the way the thing i don't like... i would like a stock android phone that can be upgraded quickly, which will very likely now be my next phone). But there statement is that they can customize WP7 more then android.. That i find very weird because until now it is just the opposite...

The Following User Says Thank You to jcompagner For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
At this point growing WP7 by significant percentage ought to be easy: it seems the platform hasn't sold many more units than Maemo
50% cashback from WP7 -phone when you send a photo taken with your N900 to nokia?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Canada
I don't buy the rosy picture. Maemo, Meego, Symbian and QT are all dead in my eyes. I'm not faulting Nokia, they did what they had to do, just stating the fact.

Do you honestly believe that Microsoft and Nokia want to see a high end Meego device compete with a Windows Phone? The answer is no. Simple.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. I have always thought that this community exaggerated its' importance in the whole scheme of things.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kajko For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
At this point growing WP7 by significant percentage ought to be easy: it seems the platform hasn't sold many more units than Maemo
Perhaps you know how many Maemo units have been sold? I can't find that information anywhere.

Just numbers, not opinion. Thanks in advance.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
From a nokia employee working currently at meego
"MeeGo is ready, it’s not an R&D project: a MeeGo phone will be released. I feel confused and fooled. Business logics are floating several metres above my head, and I cannot understand what’s the point of saying that MeeGo will be an R&D project when it’s not. To me, it’s like taking a teenager and trying to squeeze him into a baby’s cradle. Either you kill him more or less explicitly, or you take him out, let him grow and give him a chance to be a hero. We are going to have the best phone in the market this year. It might not be perfect, as the N900 clearly wasn’t, but all the premises for a brilliant future are there. And people will love it, as they loved the N900 despite it being far away from the quality standards we aspired to achieve and despite a zero-digits investment on marketing. Maemo won, against all odds. "

http://drippler.com/nokia_n900/commi...paign=wordtwit

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for posting qgil.

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
However, Nokia also announced yesterday plans to sell a billion devices to new Internet mobile users, sell 150 million Symbian devices, release a MeeGo open source product this year, and position MeeGo under the CTO activities as an open source platform for future disruptions. Stephen Elop said explicitly that these activities are out of the scope of the Microsoft deal and I'm still waiting to hear more about them. Also, the technophile in me can't avoid thinking of the possibilities and feasibility of putting Qt to work together with Windows Phone, regardless of the business and marketing sense such feature would have yesterday and in the times to come.

But it does not look good for Qt and Windows Phone, see the response (in comments) on Qt Blog article
"Nokia new strategic direction. What is the future for Qt?":

http://blog.qt.nokia.com/2011/02/12/...future-for-qt/

" Qt will not be ported to Windows Phone 7. One of the key benefits of joining an established ecosystem is that there is an established toolchain that everyone uses. All Windows Phone apps will run on all WP7 devices. Adding Qt to the mix would only cause fragmentation.

Unfortunate from a Qt perspective but wise from a developer ecosystem perspective."

Anyway, good luck for Meego & Nokia

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to myrjola For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Perhaps you know how many Maemo units have been sold? I can't find that information anywhere.

Just numbers, not opinion. Thanks in advance.
Valtteri Halla today: around few million Maemo handheld computers sold over the last five yeas.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:

Tags
eflop, elop at a pole, tags gone awol