Active Topics

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Nokia are desperate hence the deal with Microsoft.

In the short term Nokia will do well out of this because Nokia are notably absent from smartphone market (symbian is not a smartphone os!).

In the short term Microsoft will do well because they have a partner willing to back WP7 in a significant way.

Nokia will initially do very well out of this but as with many Microsoft "partnerships" in the long term suffer from it.

I don't need a device that restricts me how I use it by limited software.

I don't need a company that offer very poor service, support and unwilling to communicate with their customers.

My next device will be non-Nokia and non-Microsoft.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
allow me to dream a little........Elop says Nokia will have influence in the future direction of WP7....so, MS spawns a customized version of WP7 just for Nokia because Nokia is selling such large volumes of WP7 devices that they can build a business case for this.

*runs away from all the stones being thrown* :P

I am to ashamed to call my 3310, 7650, 6600, N73, N82, N900, Nokia any longer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by johnel View Post

In the short term Nokia will do well out of this because Nokia are notably absent from smartphone market (symbian is not a smartphone os!).

In the short term Microsoft will do well because they have a partner willing to back WP7 in a significant way.

Nokia will initially do very well out of this but as with many Microsoft "partnerships" in the long term suffer from it.

I don't need a company that offer very poor service, support and unwilling to communicate with their customers.

This is about as clear as it gets and just shows the end result of Nokia's ill support, johnel been on here with some great comments and i think very sad he wants out of Nokia.... give em a chance johnel???. oooer fanboyism???? hahaha i dont think so.

Originally Posted by johnel View Post

Wait, let me get this right....in your mind Symbian is not a smartphone OS, but WP7 is? UI doesn't have anything to do with it being a smartphone OS. Symbian is better than WP7 and I do prefer it's UI much more.

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Good bye serious mobile operating systems!
Welcome closed, castrated, incompatible, unoptimized, half-baked mobilephone-application-launcher-thingies!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zdanee For This Useful Post:
I have written then deleted a scentence to post that could properly convey my feelings about this subject but I can't.

I am deeply, supercalifragilistically concerned by this move for the future of open source mobile phone devices. Just when I was getting used to the idea!

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
This is about as clear as it gets and just shows the end result of Nokia's ill support, johnel been on here with some great comments and i think very sad he wants out of Nokia.... give em a chance johnel???. oooer fanboyism???? hahaha i dont think so.
I'm extremely happy with my n900 and plan to keep it a long time.

If Nokia release a meego device then I may consider buying it. We'll just have to wait and see what develops.

But the chances of Nokia actually releasing a meego are as small as an asteroid hitting the earth in the next 25 years or so ....

...oh crap what's this?

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Nokia is doomed... And I don't say this because I hate MS (although it is true) but because it means slowing down development even more.

Think. Where there were some true Nokians here they said that developing phone from scratch takes about 2 years. Let's say that with OS ready and dictated specs you could do it in half of the time. It means that you cannot expect "winning W7" device before next year. And if it will be released in 2011 it will be rushed, half finished product.

Will be there help from Symbian or MeeGo side (Elop announced there will be some models)? Nope. Because all people working on them will be looking for new jobs - there is no sense in keeping loyalty to company headed by Elop. So these devices also don't reach their full potential.

The Following User Says Thank You to vvaz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
Wait, let me get this right....in your mind Symbian is not a smartphone OS, but WP7 is? UI doesn't have anything to do with it being a smartphone OS. Symbian is better than WP7 and I do prefer it's UI much more.
I never said WP7 was a smrtphone OS.

One of the highly subjective requirements of a smartphone OS is how it handles connectivity with the internet. Symbian fails at this.

But most people and members of my family see android as their next device. My daughter prefers Blackberry over Nokia devices and thats saying something.

Tags
elop ur a pain, meego sucks