goodbye Nokia i am sad if the partnership is true

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Whitedeath For This Useful Post:
Posts: 299 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Wales UK
Just my 2p worth

We have some brilliant sources of innovation inside Nokia, but we are not bringing it to market fast enough. We thought MeeGo would be a platform for winning high-end smartphones. However, at this rate, by the end of 2011, we might have only one MeeGo product in the market.
1. Drop 900-00 and concentrate all available resources to speed up Meego ?

At the midrange, we have Symbian. It has proven to be non-competitive in leading markets like North America. Additionally, Symbian is proving to be an increasingly difficult environment in which to develop to meet the continuously expanding consumer requirements, leading to slowness in product development and also creating a disadvantage when we seek to take advantage of new hardware platforms. As a result, if we continue like before, we will get further and further behind, while our competitors advance further and further ahead.
2. Drop Symbian completely and use resources for Meego ?

At the lower-end price range, Chinese OEMs are cranking out a device much faster than, as one Nokia employee said only partially in jest, "the time that it takes us to polish a PowerPoint presentation." They are fast, they are cheap, and they are challenging us.
3. combine 1 and 2 to develop Meego throughout the range ?
Agro ... : |##--------] Relic(s) : 770,N800,eee

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcull For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Symbian is like your dad. He may be old fashioned and slowly getting out of date, but he's putting food on the table and he's paying for all the bill and all of his kid's education.

maemo is like your idealist elder brother. He's got all the right academic base, but he doesn't know jack schitt about making money. He can't survive on his own out there.

That's why he's got adopted by uncle Intel, and this rich uncle renamed your brother MeeGo. With your dad's permission of course.

Unfortunately brother MeeGo is still not ready to take over your dad's work yet and your dad's new wife (Mama Elop) does not have much faith in your father or brother's work.

What to do?

Originally Posted by rcull View Post
Just my 2p worth

1. Drop 900-00 and concentrate all available resources to speed up Meego ?

2. Drop Symbian completely and use resources for Meego ?

3. combine 1 and 2 to develop Meego throughout the range ?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
If Microsoft allows it on WP7 as a toolkit... It could help out Microsoft and Nokia at the same time as someone can write the same basic application for yet another platform.
that would be the only reasonable thing behind alliance between winmo7 and meego. switching to winmo7 would be a switch from one unfinished os into another...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
I love my N900.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diavoli For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by Hintry View Post
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...microsoft.html

Nokia Is Said to Be Near Partnership With Microsoft
Interesting indeed. How Elop is supposed to convince the entire board to adopt a platform that was defected by their own Symbian? WP7 is not even burning, it is like sinking to the bottom of the sea.

Oh wait, is that what he meant by jumping sea?

I'd second Whitedeath if that really happen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Interesting indeed. How Elop is supposed to convince the entire board to adopt a platform that was defected by their own Symbian? WP7 is not even burning, it is like sinking to the bottom of the sea.

Lets hope he doesn't/hasn't convinced the board...the next 36 hours are gonna be intense...

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Ysss analogy of the Nokia family sounds about right. Nokia is passively fighting to preserve revenue.

Nokia will soon join the ranks of Sony Ericson or some other lesser known guys because Apple, Android and Microsoft has gained tremendous popularity and hype.

In the past, we know Nokia for quality, reliability and user-friendly UI. Today, iPhone and every other guys beat them at their playing field. While Nokia may have been demoted to a follower position, they could concentrate on some niche market instead. Sony Ericsson was pretty successful when they marketed phones with great photo capability (Sony - Carl Zeiss). They still have advantage now with gaming integration opportunities. Nokia has nothing.

Collaborations with Android or Microsoft will still make them a "follower" trying to fight for the same pie with only form and some marginally improved functions as differentiating factors. They need to break out of that and create some blue ocean/niche strategy.

One area I can think of for Nokia to focus is user/phone support - to beef up brand loyalty. A comment from T3 article; What Nokia says about you: You don’t like to faff. You’ve always had Nokia and you always will, because it’s reliable, gets the job done. Sounds like their customers are those who just wants a stable, no-nonsense, regular phone.

Forget the cool 5 million apps, or slimmest, or lightest, or whatever (the competition is already leading that race in lengths). Imagine owning a market position where your customers can say, "My Nokia never has a problem, and when it did, it was supported in less than 24 hours." So, when all that great apps, slimmest, lightest phone dust settles, that's basically what we need! Always reliable support! This can be a powerful brand loyalty strategy.

(just my personal opinion)

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dublin
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post

After playing about with a N8, HTC Desire, iPhone 4 and the HTC 7 Pro last week I can safely say that WP7 is light years ahead of Symbian 3..

The N8 still has that sluggish feel to the UI.. absolute disgrace given it's cost.

I was extremely impressed with the HTC 7.. it was fast, and very well thought out in terms of functionality.

If Nokia do go that route, I don't know why everyone is getting so upset..

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
No meego No Nokia No loyalty No more .

Is anyone here ready to jump the WebOS2.0 ship if the rumour about Nokia turns ot to be true? I know I am, WebOS is the closest one to MeeGo. So I think I can live with that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org