I still think he's trying to focus more efforts on MeeGo. Remember how shocked we were on this board that the previous CEO publicly panned the N900 as a "step 4 of 5" device? Remember how official Nokia event after event went by and we on this forum were consistently perplexed at how little attention Maemo got (despite the manifest awesomeness of the devices)? Remember how we kept hearing that Nokia was surprised at the sale figures of the N900?

Maybe, just maybe, Elop has awakened to the fact that MeeGo is the future of Nokia and the only way to get there is to make MeeGo Nokia's flagship product, NOT Symbian.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Latest Windoze touchscreen device:
I wonder if MS has trademarked the term "punchscreen device"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
And Microsoft will never allow it. The entire basis for WP7 is to get you into the .NET ecosystem using managed code and their libraries. Allowing the use of Qt would give developers cross platform (not just CPU, but OS) that Microsoft doesn't like people having.

Heck, it's the only mobile platform that doesn't support OpenGL ES, only DirectX.
You sure about that?

If there's enough interest, MS will wrap that into the Visual Studio .NET IDE as well... like VS.PHP (unofficially)

MeeGo doesn't have an eco-system like Android, iOS or even WP7. i'm guessing that's why he's abandoning it. WP7 makes sense since both are now underdogs. Nokia can focus on making great hardware like they have always (HTC sucks in this area btw!! :P).

but i believe in the longer term Elop is still looking to build an eco-system of his own. is there room in this world for 3 main players? i don't know. what's different in his version vs apple or google? no idea.

either way, consumers are at the winning end. if Nokia flops, we go en-masse to the competitors (not like we have any choice!). if Nokia wins, we win.

i love my N900. i have been through many phones and smartphones and in all my years of using such devices, nothing has come close to the likes of the N900. it will be a sad day when mine dies and i cannot find replacement parts anymore

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You sure about that?

If there's enough interest, MS will wrap that into the Visual Studio .NET IDE as well... like VS.PHP (unofficially)
Microsoft is somewhat similar to Google in the sense that the OS and eco-system is all the company builds. hardware is delegated to the partners. this is usually the case with Microsoft. they make money from licensing the operating system.

would MS allow Qt to run on WP7? unlikely. what business sense is there in this? this requires investment from MS to open up APIs that would allow Qt to work. unless Nokia can show this, they get the boot. so my guess is, Nokia will start working with building a sizeable market for WP7 on Nokia hardware (much the same like what HTC did many moons ago) and then go back to MS and have a business case for the next step.

there was a joke internally in Microsoft's MCB division years back. people joked about Microsoft working with Nokia to build Windows Mobile phones. and MS said that they would LOVE to work with Nokia but the reverse was unlikely to be true. oh how times have changed!

Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Please name few innovations that happened in US before any other market out there?
microsoft windows, microsoft office, apple mac, ios, iphone, google, android, ford, harley davidson just to name few

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Regarding the "Please name few innovations that happened in US before any other market out there?"
And for all those who commented on that, please go back and read the conversation and then come back. But if your answers were just for fun, then no issues!! Lets move on!!

Thanks for playing!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Please make a difference between invention and innovation. To me innovation is creating business based on invention. This is what US corporates can do. Even though someone else has done the purely technical invention before.

Apple's App Store was an innovation.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by droll View Post
Microsoft is somewhat similar to Google in the sense that the OS and eco-system is all the company builds. hardware is delegated to the partners. this is usually the case with Microsoft. they make money from licensing the operating system.

would MS allow Qt to run on WP7? unlikely. what business sense is there in this? this requires investment from MS to open up APIs that would allow Qt to work. unless Nokia can show this, they get the boot. so my guess is, Nokia will start working with building a sizeable market for WP7 on Nokia hardware (much the same like what HTC did many moons ago) and then go back to MS and have a business case for the next step.

there was a joke internally in Microsoft's MCB division years back. people joked about Microsoft working with Nokia to build Windows Mobile phones. and MS said that they would LOVE to work with Nokia but the reverse was unlikely to be true. oh how times have changed!
You guys seriously don't know the .NET CLR at all.

I'm willing to bet that Microsoft would let Qt run on WP7 before Nokia lets .NET run on any of their systems.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...microsoft.html

Nokia Is Said to Be Near Partnership With Microsoft

Feb. 10 (Bloomberg) -- Nokia Oyj is close to announcing a software partnership with Microsoft Corp., a bet that together the two companies can better challenge Google Inc. and Apple Inc., according to a person with knowledge of the discussions.

Nokia Chief Executive Officer Stephen Elop has held talks with Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer about putting Microsoft’s mobile operating system on Nokia phones, said the person, who asked not to be identified because the discussions were private. Elop also held talks with Google CEO Eric Schmidt about using Google’s Android software, the person said. Those discussions are unlikely to lead to an alliance, according to another person familiar with the matter.

Elop will unveil a new strategy for Nokia at an event in London tomorrow, laying out his comeback plan for the smartphone market. The partnership with Microsoft, if clinched, would be aimed at helping both companies claw back ground lost to Android and Apple’s iPhone at the high end of the market.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hintry For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org