Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
An other example is Apple with Mac OS X and BootCamp, Mac OS X is still here
Good point

After playing with the Garnet VM I don't see Palm apps replacing great native programs like kagu, maemo-mapper or fbreader. The VM doesn't seem to take advantage of the Nokia's screen for one thing. I still think my original point was valid though.

ACCESS Systems Americas, Inc., formerly PalmSource, Inc. has just released Garnet VM Beta for the Nokia Internet Tablet. This virtual machine software lets you run the full Palm OS Garnet on any model of Nokia Internet Tablet (770, N800, N810), giving you full PIM functionality as well as let you install more than 30,000 free and commercial Palm OS applications. I have just installed the software on the N810. The emulator runs at the middle of the screen at a 320 x 480. Graffiti works well, the keyboard on the N810 works perfectly, and the sound works as well (note that sound does not work on the 770). It seems like it even has an option to wireless HotSync to your PC as well. There is no option yet to rotate it and stretch it horizontally on the tablet which is my primary request as of the moment. As a long time Palm OS user, I have been longing for PIM apps on the Internet Tablet and never expected this(!), and I am ecstatic! Time to dig up my Palm OS registered app serial numbers... More details after the jump. Bundled Applications * Address * Date Book * Memo Pad * Calculator Memory Requirements * Application size: 3.5MB of RAM * Garnet VM Storage size: 16MB of RAM (configuration available 1MB to 32MB). Garnet VM Launcher * Application install/uninstall * Compatibility configuration per application (memory, display and device model) * Garnet VM storage size configuration * Garnet VM display configuration (screen rotation, background color/image) Garnet VM Standard Features * Dynamic Input Area with Grafitti® 1 character recognition * Networking (TCP/IP) * Synchronization via Hotsync® * Supported languages: English, French, Italian, German & Spanish Compatible Third Party Applications: Web/E-Mail • Google Maps™ • Snappermail® Networking • WiFile Pro™ • EzFTP Multimedia • Pocket Tunes™ • Kinoma® Productivity • DateBk5 • Britannica® Encyclopedia Games • Bejeweled® • PacMan • Raging Thunder • Village SIM Download the software now.
Read the full article.

Wow. Just yesterday I said if we wanted Palm apps on Maemo we should talk to ACCESS, and lo and behold, here they are releasing a beta. I notice the PIM apps installed are the old PalmSource ones, too, not the hacked-up ones Palm, Inc. currently ships. I have to try this out; I admit I could have been wrong about this whole Palm-on-Maemo thing.

So could we in theory get better looking calendar and such?

Administrator | Posts: 4 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2005
Originally Posted by Jupex View Post
So could we in theory get better looking calendar and such?
Yes, if you install DateBk or Agendus. You are limited to that 320x480 space though.

But now that I think of it... My nokia 6300 is coming, wich has direct iCal support so wy bother. The phone is 24/7 with me as the N800 is not.

i have a problem on my 770 that i need hildon-fm1. anyone have any idea whats up?

Originally Posted by phatsua View Post
just use Gmail, I received my mail in under 1 second
I did, entered it twice as specified, haven't got it yet. Hours ago now.

We have setup a new forum to discuss Garnet VM since this might be discussed heavily:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...splay.php?f=31

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
Someone resourceful ported POSE, but unfortunately it was a memory hog, so I'm curious how this stacks up.

This is better than nothing, BUT, good to write developers and tell them you want native apps!