Active Topics

Notices

OS/2 didn't die because of Windows applications.
OS/2 died because of the bad marketing and the bad performance.
They didn't have ENOUGH applications for the normal user.
When they begun to use Windows Applications it was already to late.
Many hated Microsoft and were willing to swith to OS/2.
But the gas machine of IBM wasn't flexible enough for user needs.

The OS2/Analogy is quite good, and painful for those of us who remember it, but there are differences to todays market.

Maybe another analogy is the success of VMWare, which is more directly comparable to what Myriad are proposing here.

There is no OS2 analogy.
OS2 asked more memory than usual.
The performance was miserable because of the virtual memory on harddisk.

Applications use more memory with Dalvik than without.
The performance of maemo is better.

Many people were willing to switch to OS/2 if OS/2 had offered the same application and nearly the same performance.
But the performance was miserable and the application unusable.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gerdich For This Useful Post:
Nokia should work an agreement with this guys to make their Alien Dalvik tech part of the Qt suite. Maybe Nokia pay them a huge, annual, flat fee so Alien is included as part of Qt. Would make life a lot easier for devs.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following User Says Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by gerdich View Post
Applications use more memory with Dalvik than without.
The performance of maemo is better.
You should really consider reading through:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=68730

There's a gripping debate on VM performance vs. Native.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Android on MeeGo would make a MeeGo device just another Android device.
Not necessarily. MeeGo is native Linux so it has way more power. If MeeGo comes with the same free OVI Maps as Symbian then I can see someone choosing free offline satnav over an Android phone that only has online nav. When you travel outside your country's borders a lot, free offline nav becomes a big deal.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Not necessarily. MeeGo is native Linux so it has way more power.
Debatable. You can install Ubuntu in Android, you know.

If MeeGo comes with the same free OVI Maps as Symbian then I can see someone choosing free offline satnav over an Android phone that only has online nav. When you travel outside your country's borders a lot, free offline nav becomes a big deal.
Indeed, this is a true out-of-the-box point in MeeGo's favour. There are Android apps that do the same, but not out of the box.

I'm not sure if this would be major selling feature, though. IMO, Google maps for Android looks far more impressive at first glance.

In all likelihood, Google will release its apps (including maps) for MeeGo if/when it achieves a critical mass.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Now this is interesting:

"Most Android applications can run unmodified as
the vast majority of Android APIs are supported and
tight integration with the QT framework leads to a
seamless user experience."

They use Qt as backend.
"Benoit Schillings is Chief Technology Officer of Myriad Group AG. In this role he is responsible for the company’s technology strategy and focus on innovation.

Prior to joining Myriad, Schillings held the position of Chief Technologist at Nokia. There he was responsible for Nokia’s cross-device technology as well as Technology Advisor to Nokia’s CEO, Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo. Schillings joined Nokia following their acquisition of Trolltech, where, as Chief technologist, he was responsible for leveraging Trolltech’s existing technologies and services
"

http://www.myriadgroup.com/About-Myr...42351C323&_z=z

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
As a former OS/2 user who saw developers use Windows support as an excuse to not making native OS/2 applications, and users who realized there was no point in using OS/2 if all the apps they used were Windows apps, please excuse me if I refrain from celebrating and sit back and watch with a skeptical eye...
The answer to that is to heavily push QT development then. And show how easier (if not then it should be made easy enough) to create an application in QT that runs on any QT based platform (PC with QT support, Meego based smartphones and tablets, Meego based car systems, Meego based entertainment systems, etc..)

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

and where can I download the deb? Will it ever come out on maemo? or only on meego?

i know THEY showed it on MAEMO, but u know, flash 10 was also previews first on MAEMO, but never came out officialy LOL like Myriad Alien Dalvik i guess!

Tags
2014 no dalvik, android, dalvik, its christmas!, java vm, just shoot me, maemo, meegdroid, meego