Active Topics

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@9000: If you felt you were 'lead' somewhere, it may be because I've presented some facts and history in my post that supported what I was implying.
Unless you're a major religious leader, of course you must bring up some facts to support your opinions. However, wether the facts could be enough to support your believes is questionable, which I've already answered, with bonus!

Nokia's declining marketshare represented public interest to Nokia's product (and brand), among the many options in the market.

Yep, that was the point of these texts.
Again, I'm rather uninterested in the direction you're leading, but since you insist on bringing it up, then I assume you think this should be on-topic. Then tell me, how does this 'fact' corelate to the motivation behind people like you sticking around here just for reminding people from time to time how bad N900, maemo and Nokia, comparing to Android Phones and iPhone etc. are?

Or you believe there's any economic influental factors to adversely affect Nokia's marketshare just by saying bad things about Nokia here?

Well....then the reality you preceived is just barely enough to fit your ego

The N900 is my first Nokia. I have been using Linux for almost 20 years now, and I bought the phone because it offered direct access to the underlying Linux OS.

I am not disappointed, except for the limited synchronizing abilities with other Linux systems. Mappero is a good routeplanner, networking goes smoothly. Tethering my laptop over BT also works well. No, I don't do games or listen to music, but I have a lot of scripts that do backups and other stuff.

It seems to me that Nokia does support the N900 badly, and I will keep that in mind when shopping for my next phone, although I certainly do not intend to buy a new one in the next few years, unless the usb connector breaks.

Paai

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paai For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
But he writes as if a community of coders came out of nowhere to rescue us. The fact is that the community was here way before the N900. Nokia knew that and so did we.
If that community was here before or after the N900 is not the concern here - we know the community was here (I've been around since mid-2007).

Just that the community projects (fMMS, the One Ring, and a couple of others for instance) existed is enough to support the notion that the community is doing a kickass level of support whereas Nokia hadn't.

Too bad some of the higher profile community projects like Mauku (for instance) didn't continue getting updates.

And to write somebody off so quickly - it's so damn easy to do - as a troll because they think differently or see things differently or that you've not taken the time to see things through their eyes is all too common here.

I'm not taking up for anybody. Just saying that even the worse jackass might have a point to make or so.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Last edited by gerbick; 2011-02-08 at 07:53. Reason: Misspelled a word...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Unless you're a major religious leader, of course you must bring up some facts to support your opinions. However, wether the facts could be enough to support your believes is questionable, which I've already answered, with bonus!
I presented points (and questions) in general that I would think answer the question through common sense.

You replied to my posts repeatedly with subjective remarks; on how you viewed things. Which I've found to be against the common sense. Your personal preference.
(This is fine, but you should see the futility of this exercise from the get go.)

Btw, my initial post on this subject was in line with the topic. It explained the 'n900 haters'. That n900 was not aligned with the Nokia brand. This has repeatedly been confirmed by many TMO users here by the explanation that 'the n900 is step 4of5, not ready for public, etc.'

Again, I'm rather uninterested in the direction you're leading, but since you insist on bringing it up, then I assume you think this should be on-topic.
As I've said in my previous post. It shouldn't be hard to understand.

Then tell me, how does this 'fact' corelate to the motivation behind people like you sticking around here just for reminding people from time to time how bad N900, maemo and Nokia, comparing to Android Phones and iPhone etc. are?
'people like you'.... what does that mean?

Someone who've been here since 2007, having owned multiple maemo devices, including the n900 and following the maemo development?

Someone who've been using Nokia since the candybar and communicator era, and hoping they can make a good transition to the next step?

Someone who've used *nix systems for more than a decade; but who also can understand the different needs and expectations from different form factors and also different requirements by different people?

F___ you.
Get into the discussions. Don't get into people's lives.

Or you believe there's any economic influental factors to adversely affect Nokia's marketshare just by saying bad things about Nokia here?
Astroturfing on a forum is a futile exercise. There are so many other more cost efficient ways to achieve that objective.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Yes why? It must be the apps pushing culture ,
the "for the iPhone" ,
the "on your Blackberry" ,
"version for Android available"

that creates an undefined unsatisfactory feeling when being confronted with a Maemo - "it has about everything you need extra" IF you are prepared to do some minimal research effort (effort through which you may - oh beware - apprehend some computer OS skills).

As a second,
Certification of apps by Apple and competitors largely prevents users messing up (slowing down the device to the degree of not being able to successfully answer an incoming phone call) a phone's OS by installing 10 or more fun apps / day.

Every since the mouse and graphical user interface became common ground many people feel more confident to install simple software or "free software".
What not seldom happens next is that they mess up their (Windows) pc and the local nerd is called to help to clean (speed) it up.

Certification of apps by Apple and competitors largely prevents users messing up (slowing down the device to the degree of not being able to successfully answer an incoming phone call) a phone's OS by installing 10 or more fun apps / day.

Who said everybody including grandmother needs to be a software installation expert without reading the manual?

In an ideal nerdworld smartphones or at least the professional applications running on those devices should not be considered "simple" and nerds lurking on talk.maemo.org would be busy all day earning good money by installing software and preparing N900's for customized (corporate) use.

As Smartphones move to be more PC-like, we are not going to see PC OS-es and programs to be degraded to the same level of easy and user friendly and harmless (as long as you don't consider privacy theft as harmful) like found on smartphones are we? Everybody administrator, Apple prevents and monitors in advance, Google "fixes" problems remotely.
Oh yes, Apple has already ported its app shop concept.

Anyway to get back to the N900, I find that "for mobile" sounds like adjusted for incapable device running a thinned version of some web service while marketing department tries and succeeds to promote these limitations as the standard to live by with the shortcomings being masked and compensated by the presence of a phone function, camera, GPS, portability and GAMES, millions of them.

The N900 does not dumb down the mobile internet experience like those other devices out there.

User friendly however starts after somebody with experience has configured the whole thing to fit the usage pattern of the user.

Unfortunately Nokia let Maemo and its supporters down so that typical corporate level software (email client for example) has yet to appear.
It is unforgivable that they promote flash then don't support flash all the way till it turns obsolete.

Since I first got hands on the N900 I have felt totally familiar with this device as it does such a good job in emulating the PC feeling. (being it an older model of PC, just good to surf)

That in some multitasking situations the device tends to lag like our unoptimised 2001 Windows XP PC with only 256 RAM would in theory be easily solved through hardware evolution.
And there I wish I could keep the resistive screen and upgrade the RAM to 512MB or 1GB, the CPU to dual core, the battery when new tech emerges.

And see Maemo unleashed and head to head against "modern smartphone os-es of 2011 and beyond.

And finally, is the out-of-the-box experience of Maemo that bad for people who did not do research on Meamo/N900?
The user interface is very ahead of it's time.

Depending on your specific demand it might just do a lot of things better than competing devices. (like uploading pictures to Flickr for example)

I think we should not withhold to recommend this stuff to other people as long as we are honest enough that a creative tech demo does not fit everybody's daily usage pattern

And that there are still people looking for somebody to explain them:

-how to backup user content
-how to end tasks to reliably receive incoming calls
-how to disconnect a cable from USB without lateral movement
-that whatever the N900 learns them to do is a step ahead in being a smart computer user

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
9000, you are the one who looks bad after this interchange.

Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Funny. It was you who started replying to my post (see #72), and I tried to avoid starting conversation with you by simple answers (see #96) for the reason that I found you always been annoying and hoped that you'd simply move along. Now you cry out loud for mom that you aren't happy with the result of the fight you started? Give me a break man.

And you also chose to ignore the fact that you always piggy-back to my posts with some witty-looking but boring comments (lost your memory? See here). Don't put up a fight when you can't win thus don't reply my posts when you are having problem dealing with rejections. JUST DON'T CRY FFS.

(man I hate using bold to emphasize my point but it seems you're into this...)

I've never seen how you bring up the facts to backup your claim and how you relate these facts in explaining the 'N900 haters' in your initially reply to me (see #72). You're just asking some open-ended questions which I tried by best to entertain you. I always wish someone would bring up point directly, not asking leading questions.

It is not hard to understand. You didn't bring any to me. I quoted enough above, look back, see what facts you've brought to me?

Oh BTW, don't get pissed when someone have questioned your 'common sense'. Your common sense might be common non-sense to others.

You must have mistaken me for someone who care about your experience. In fact there are lots of other more experience then you. The differences between you and others is that the latter won't annoy people around and they seldom put the blame on other for not agreeing with them.

It'd be my pleasure if you'd stop piggy-backing to my posts (like here and there, and countless others I don't bother digging up). Actually I wanted to ask you long time ago why you always like to do such annoying piggybacking Thanks for giving me such a good chance for telling you to STOP.
I don't think you want me to fuel your rage further by replying to this So I'll leave it at that. (Remember the last time when you had to write in mandarin in this forum?)

If you want to debate on topic, then I'd be glad to continue.

I personally think understanding why 'people hate n900' is essential for maemo/MeeGo to progress.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
I don't think you want me to fuel your rage further by replying to this So I'll leave it at that. (Remember the last time when you had to write in mandarin in this forum?)

If you want to debate on topic, then I'd be glad to continue.

I personally think understanding why 'people hate n900' is essential for maemo/MeeGo to progress.
I'd also be glad to continue if you refrain from using f-words or bringing up your personal references thanks.

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
>You can write your own apps for anything. Even iPhones

Well, not without paying Apple even more money ...

Originally Posted by strongm View Post
>You can write your own apps for anything. Even iPhones

Well, not without paying Apple even more money ...
You need to pay Apple the yearly subscription only if you want to publish your app through their store.

Tags
blah blah blah, blah the end, criticismhearit, flamebait, popcorn time, quit happens, still blah blah, stop it, trollfest