Notices

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
lol, i even tried it with PingChat! its allmost the same app..

But the mail i wrote;

Hi whatsapp,

is it possible that you port the whatsapp application in QT? Symbian^3 is coming out, also Meego of moblin and nokia, en there are many n900 users with maemo.

All those operating systems are running QT. Its just an idea?

I would very preciate it if you take action.

With kind regards,

maemo/Android/meego user

------------------------------------------------------
whatsapp
1-11-2010 23:50;

QT is under consideration for 2011. We want to support as many phones as possible and we understand that QT is pretty rich in experience.

Hope this helps,

------------------------------------------------------

Pingchat!
8-11-2010 22:19

Sorry, but we don't have plans for that yet.

If you found our support to be helpful and enjoy our app please leave a review!

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/pingc...371769677?mt=8

Thanks,
Amy
Community and Marketing Manager
Enflick, inc.

Last edited by Psycho; 2011-02-07 at 23:50.

Posts: 328 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Venezuela
I'm very disappointed with this whole situation. I personally don't like the idea of begging these people to support maemo 5. I also find it to be a lack of initiative on nokias part not to expand ovi chat to these different platforms, it already supports google talk and yahoo messenger, why not go the extra mile and allow for other mobile platforms as well. I also think that Nokia is much to laid back with regard to the n900, its arguably one of the best phones nokia has ever made, but yet its so isolated. I really appreciate the work that the maemo community is doing and i think more pressure needs to be put on nokia to get with the program.

I have a feeling GTalk was supported because it was based on an open standard (Jabber I believe?). While Yahoo Messenger (is that even Nokia supported?) is from this community, similar to MSN and AIM integration. So they would have to get the other companies to give them access to the protocols which probably means licensing.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
You seem to think everyone is concerned about what is closed or open and will stay away from closed source apps.
No, I don't. But I recommend to my friends and family to select their IM based on the probability of the IM protocol being useful to them in future. For example, MSN used to be popular, but is it available on BlackBerry or iPhone?

Jabber has been available on every platform with internet access I have used since I started using Jabber (in 2002 or so).

You will note that I listed skype as an option, even though it is not open, but because it supports a large number of platforms.

I would consider myself the most techie person amongst all my friends and family and yet I did not even know whatsapp was closed source (nor do I even care).
The issue is not if it is open source or not. The Google Talk application is not open source, but the protocol it uses is, and they allow "federation", so I can chat to users on Google Talk using a different client, even via non-Google servers.

What matters to people is whether something works well and for chats a big part of it is what their friends are using. If ten of my friends are happily using whatsapp because all of their friends are using whatsapp you think I will be able to convince them to leave whatsapp cause it is closed source? I am having a hard enough time convincing just my wife to get whatsapp on her blackberry. She just is not interested because all her friends are on blackberry chat. Asking her to switch to msn (and all the spam) or anything else will be a lost cause before it even started.
Because people are prepared to settle for device-specific solutoins, BB people don't chat to iPhone users, who don't chat to Symbian users. However, there are XMPP clients for all of those platforms, and installing one of them would allow them to chat to users of *any* platform.

One thing I like about N900 is that it ships a very well integrated XMPP solution. I hope future Nokia (S^3 and Meego) will do the same.

If your wife doesn't want to be able to IM with you, you have bigger problems :-(.

Last edited by buchanmilne; 2011-02-08 at 14:36.

Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by carlon View Post
I'm very disappointed with this whole situation. I personally don't like the idea of begging these people to support maemo 5. I also find it to be a lack of initiative on nokias part not to expand ovi chat to these different platforms, it already supports google talk and yahoo messenger, why not go the extra mile and allow for other mobile platforms as well.
You seem to confuse terms here. Do you mean add support for other protocols to the N900's "Messaging" application? Or, do you mean making Ovi Chat (one of the many protocols/services supported by the N900's "Messaging" application) available on other phones/devices by supplying an application for e.g. Blackberry/iPhone/Android?

If you mean adding WhatsApp support in the Messaging application, well, it seems WhatsApp uses XMPP, but they aren't interested in inter-operation, if they were, they would publish the XMPP SRV records (like Google does).

I also think that Nokia is much to laid back with regard to the n900, its arguably one of the best phones nokia has ever made, but yet its so isolated. I really appreciate the work that the maemo community is doing and i think more pressure needs to be put on nokia to get with the program.
Does any other Nokia device support the protocols supported out-the-box on the N900?

Does any other device natively support the protocols you are asking for (except BBM on BlackBerry, which is proprietary to BlackBerry)?

IMHO, there are some improvements that could be made on the N900, but I wouldn't say they are laid back.

Posts: 328 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Venezuela
I meant having the Ovi chat support other platforms, basically what apple did with whatsapp. Have you any idea the buzz that this app ahs created? not only with apple users for whom it was initially created, i know bb users who no longer use bbm because of whatsapp. One cannot deny its reach. Anyway it's obvious that we don't share the same opinions so perhaps agree to disagree would be the best bet.

On a lighter note i was reading up on a recent development called Alien Dalvik, which seems to allow for andriod apps to run on maemo 5 os. if this is so, its very exciting news.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=69492&page=5

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ venezuela
people we dont care any more if whatsapp give us the source now with the project of Alien Dalvik, i think n900 will kill all plataforms on mobile

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by carlon View Post
I meant having the Ovi chat support other platforms, basically what apple did with whatsapp.
As I wrote earlier, Ovi Chat is XMPP. Set up an Ovi account on Nokia's web site, and then pick your favorite Jabber/XMPP client for your chosen platform. Point that client at chat.ovi.com port 5223, enable old/legacy SSL support, and chat away.