Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
I'm sure there would be short term benefit - it would get analysts and engadget commentards off the back of Nokia for a start! - and may even result in additional smartphone sales in North America (in fact almost certainly would) but longer term how does Nokia then STOP selling Android based devices if they're selling like hot-cakes, and out-selling Symbian and/or MeeGo?

A full-on Android phone could well be the end of Nokia as we know it, I think, as the genie will be out of the bottle.

If Nokia are desperate for a successful eco-system, better that Nokia give customers what they crave from Android - ie. a vast array of apps, which is something Symbian and MeeGo currently lacks - as a short term solution until Qt is standing on it's own two feet.

Go the whole hog with Android and the short term gain will turn into a long term loss.
Android blablabla

OviStore apps increase alot and if Nokia get the damn updates out for QT4.7/Quick on N8/C7 there will be alot more.

So in the case of Symbian based apps in low/midend segment, I see no problems for Nokia.

Problem is highend atleast if Theyr are stupid and in panic kills Meego.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
more than negotiations probably, given that they killed both the X7 and the nuron 2 so close before scheduled release.
really seems like symbian's gonna be the victim.
Agreed......in the USA. They have been saying this for over 12 months now, and finally they bit the bullet. They are clearing out Symbian in the US ready for a new partnership, which hopefully will be the launch of Meego.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
Prepare the popcorn folks.. Feb 11th is just around the corner
No its not its two weeks left and thats VERY LOOOOONG time, atleast in tis forum :-D

/me is hangging on this forum too much

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Far Better solution for Nokia would be to port QtQuick to Android (and webOS)
Yes. And no signs about Qt-on-Android apart from some private projects is for me best indicator that Nokia isn't going Android way - at least in short time. Only with QtAndroid investments of last few years wouldn't be totally wasted.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
But here's the thing, Nokia can make use of Android to immediately:
- Enhance their mid-high level offerings in the markets that they are already dominant in.
- Gets into US market, which is now much more familiar with 'Android' than the brand 'Nokia'
I just can't see Nokia offering Android alongside Symbian, and punters continuing to buy Symbian. The presence of Android on Nokia hardware will massively undermine and erode Symbian, and won't help MeeGo either.

I'm not famliar with this. Is google charging a very high license fees to their OEMs?
No there's no licence fee as such, but neither are Google indemnifying their partners when they get sued (12 court cases filed against Android in 2010 alone).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Nokia needs Android, but if the board feels it needs to pull in punters who think Android is the be-all and end-all, then putting the part of Android that mostly matters - apps - on Symbian or MeeGo or both may be a clever short-term compromise with little downside.

re: Android layer

Will google allow that? Even if the licenses permit Nokia to implement an Android layer, is that even an advertiseable feature?
It's certainly possible, and I doubt there's much Google can do about it since licensed openly. Nokia wouldn't be able to market the resulting device as "Android", but that isn't going to be an issue because it's not an Android device, it only has a level of Android support. Nokia may just need to be creative with how they describe their feature.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Oh no, not this stuff about Android devframework on top of meego again... What app from Android is SOOO important and cant be done using QT?
The Nokia chairman seems to be saying he's prepared to do deals to join a competitive eco-system.

So what would you prefer, Android on Nokia (and most likely wiping out any OS Nokia currently produces, or plans to produce, ie. MeeGo, like a cuckoo) or a bait & switch solution that would be an Android compatibility layer - it appeases the punters and analysts without going full throttle on Android and selling your soul to the devil.

It's not about ME wanting Android, I'm simply addressing the comments made by Elop who clearly wants or is prepared to to do deals to get a viable eco-system in North America, and if it's not Android it's probably WP7 (which personally I don't see as a threat to MeeGo, but then nor do I see it as having a competitive eco-system so an unlikely choice).

Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
Comparisons involving Nokia and popular Android providers usually misses one point: *real* hardware producers.
Nokia doesn't produce crucial elements of its phones: semiconductors, screens, camera units. It buys them from its direct competitors in mobile markets like Samsung, LG, etc.
And the "real" hardware producers are all paying Nokia licence fees to use their fundamental patents (all except Apple, of course...) It's a financial merry-go-round.

Far Better solution for Nokia would be to port QtQuick to Android (and webOS)
How, when Google won't support it. And even if they were to change their policy, who will develop for it, and why when it's non-native and therefore not on every device? People aren't developing for Qt due to any lack of numbers - it's available for millions of Symbian phones. Getting Qt on to even more phones isn't going to change anything - the problems are elsewhere.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
more than negotiations probably, given that they killed both the X7 and the nuron 2 so close before scheduled release.
really seems like symbian's gonna be the victim.
Releasing the Nuron 2 in the US would have been a mistake anyway - the Nuron 2 is a Symbian^1 phone... someone must have been taking the mickey at T-Mobile, yanking Nokia's chain, or someone was asleep at the wheel in Espoo. Symbian^3 is going to struggle in the US, what hope is there for a Symbian^1 device?

As for the X7... very odd.

Android blablabla

OviStore apps increase alot and if Nokia get the damn updates out for QT4.7/Quick on N8/C7 there will be alot more.

So in the case of Symbian based apps in low/midend segment, I see no problems for Nokia.

Problem is highend atleast if Theyr are stupid and in panic kills Meego.
There is very little Ovi Store increase in North America because nobody is buying Nokia in North America. Are you paying attention to the conversation here? That's where Nokia are struggling, that's where they want a quick win by (potentially) joining an existing and competitive eco-system.

Ovi is NOT a competitive eco-system in North America, high, mid or low end. Period.

How Nokia resolve this issue is what we are debating, and the decision they make will have major implications for their existing operating systems one way or the other.

If Meego is abandoned and there is no OS as free as Maemo I don't see myself getting another phone, Android is know where near close in terms of openness it seems like a child next to Maemo

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 205 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ manila, philippines
just wondering, if ever nokia decides to adapt some of its handsets to run WP7, will current models be able to be flashed with it?

Last edited by shockgiga; 2011-01-28 at 22:59. Reason: wrong spelling

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
Originally Posted by try-alls View Post
that would be pretty awesome an makes alot of sense, have drop in centres to buy/sell an exchange parts an also give users/customers choice an freedom to what they want in a device,

ahhh we can all dream can't we
Sounds great.

But i cant see drop in hardware happening. With the market for phones atm more and more is being integrated onto one or 2 chips. This is the only way of reducing product size. Implementing a bus plug protocol that will allow devices to be upgraded etc would be hard to fit in a sleek popular design.

That said the software option is somthing I have dreamed about for years.

Why should the N9 be a meego only device. Why not give it the option of being Symbian/Meego/Android/WP7 and allow owners to reflash it with what they like.

Also allow FOSS developers to create their own OSes.

Heck if they just released an E7 with that option Id jump on it.

Last edited by HumanPenguin; 2011-01-28 at 23:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to HumanPenguin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
This has just came up - Elop will be announcing a white version of the N900, no bumpers needed

The Following User Says Thank You to efekt For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org