Active Topics

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Nokia lose their ability to control their own destiny, becoming just another Android hardware vendor, struggling to differentiate their product from everyone else punting an Android device.
I don't think there's any exclusivity clause if Nokia takes up Android. So they can still develop Symbian, MeeGo or whatever they want to and try to launch on their own.

But here's the thing, Nokia can make use of Android to immediately:
- Enhance their mid-high level offerings in the markets that they are already dominant in.
- Gets into US market, which is now much more familiar with 'Android' than the brand 'Nokia'

The long term plans are ideal. But if they can't survive the next 1-2 years, they will lose even more momentum (& marketshare, affecting their strategic position with their suppliers, etc) and they may just spiral off completely out of the map.

And have you seen the profit that Moto and SE are making? Virtually naff all, and actually selling fewer units than they were 3 years ago (Moto -35%, SE -29%). Android is a race to the bottom, it's acknowledged that the real profit is in proprietary operating systems and the companies that control their own OS (iOS, RIM, Nokia).
I'm not famliar with this. Is google charging a very high license fees to their OEMs?

There is NO guarantee of profit with Android, certainly not substantial profit. And the risk is huge, as the number of cheap Chinese Android manufacturers is growing every day, and all with products that look very similar (or better) than the more established but higher priced vendors. It's a dog-eat-dog Android world.
I have a feeling that at this point in time, Nokia is actually more comfortable (and in better position to) fending off their competitors in a hardware/spec battles than to develop their own platform & ecosystem from scratch.

re: Android layer

Will google allow that? Even if the licenses permit Nokia to implement an Android layer, is that even an advertiseable feature?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Adding a basic Android application compatibility layer to Symbian and MeeGo may be a solution that keeps everyone happy - Nokia can dip their toe into the Android eco-system without the risk of losing their identity or control of their own platforms.
Oh no, not this stuff about Android devframework on top of meego again... What app from Android is SOOO important and cant be done using QT?

Games? I dont think soo cause games is written in C++ already so dont start bashing about "java(or dalvik) is better than C++".

Some fanzy app? No this can be done with Qt/Quick already.. not much of a difference in API. Infact QT is sometimes simpler API than Android SDK imho...

So give me ONE app from Android that cant be ported to "Nokias/Meego" ecosystem!?

If the developers doesnt want to port to QT because of lazyness then its theyr own decision but then I guess they will shoot themselfs in the foot at the end (= loosing possibly appcustomers)

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-01-28 at 20:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Well, speculate as much as you want guys but Elop clearly has said:
* Elop has said that they will continue working on Symbian3 since they have seen growth and demand in different regions. He also said that this is the platform they are investing for developers to build on. "Continued excitement and environment to continue to iterate on", "feeling good about that", "E7(symbian) will drive margins up in Q2"
* On one question: "when will nokia start pushing S3 to lower end phones and why S1 are still being sold?" Operating systems placement will be discussed on 11th of Feb.
* Build join question ecosystems: "Top priority of differentiation between ecosystems"
* Renewal of devices: First wave of devices of Symbian 3 came (N8, E7, C6) there will be renewal of new products (meaning new symbian devices). Symbian is upgradable.

No direct mention of meego even though there was a lot of talk about building ecosystems. So it sounds that there wont be a major shift from what they have been doing so far but I do hope that will be something exciting (which would then need to be something very different from what they are doing.. )

Prepare the popcorn folks.. Feb 11th is just around the corner

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HangLoose For This Useful Post:
Comparisons involving Nokia and popular Android providers usually misses one point: *real* hardware producers.
Nokia doesn't produce crucial elements of its phones: semiconductors, screens, camera units. It buys them from its direct competitors in mobile markets like Samsung, LG, etc.
Those firms can build their own hardware, developed by money paid by eg. Nokia, slap free OS on it and make handsome profits. Nokia *pays* its competitors to compete with Nokia.
In some weird way Nokia is very similar to Apple in this aspect. Finnish firm buys raw hardware elsewhere, assembly according to own design and adds its own OS.

The Following User Says Thank You to vvaz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Anyone know how the engineering teams for Symbian are split? Do they have 10+ teams doing duplicate work but for different phones?

Eg
1 group for Symbian, but for N95
1 group for Symbian, but for N96 etc etc

With any code over 10 years old, its probably become convoluted and full of hacks for specific phones (screen size, keyboard, features etc).. alot of cost savings if they can streamline...
I think that would be a less problem than in the Meego case.

I mean Meego is more open than Symbian and alot more "groups" working on both inside Nokia and outside. So if you think Symbian would be a problem in that area then its probadly even bigger in Meego.

That is a bit of drawback with "openess" even if I prefer it personally.

I think this article takes up some of this issues:

http://mer-l-in.blogspot.com/2011/01...ment-apps.html

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Thank you.
I don't quite understand how so many did immediately jump to the "they are going for other OS!" bandwagon.
It's corporate talk that in the end can really mean anything, or nothing.

I'm not saying Nokia going for Android or WP7 is impossible, but i find so many other things to be much more likely happen than drastic jump from MeeGo, not to even talk about Symbian in CMD.

Btw this was also part of earnings call transcript from the Q4 reports where the Elop line was also taken.

Whatever the announcement will be i can promise you that the years and the money spent for Qt is already way too much to scrap it all and again wait for years and huge amounts of cash spent again to scrap deals with chip manufacturers, make new deals, software done, acquiring new people and start to build new infrastructure for new OS where other manufacturers are already way ahead.
It still all seems a bit odd that with the first new device with the new O/S, in meego, apparently due to be announced in the next couple does not even warrent a mention? If I was the CEO I would be trying to get as much exposure as possible not suggesting I was looking for possible new ecosystem partners?

Where are the new devices, or device, we are seeing Samsung & HTC devices leaked but oddly nothing from Nokia does a meego device even exsist?

The Following User Says Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Oh no, not this stuff about Android devframework on top of meego again... What app from Android is SOOO important and cant be done using QT?

Games? I dont think soo cause games is written in C++ already so dont start bashing about "java(or dalvik) is better than C++".

Some fanzy app? No this can be done with Qt/Quick already.. not much of a difference in API. Infact QT is sometimes simpler API than Android SDK imho...

So give me ONE app from Android that cant be ported to "Nokias/Meego" ecosystem!?

If the developers doesnt want to port to QT because of lazyness then its theyr own decision but then I guess they will shoot themselfs in the foot at the end (= loosing possibly appcustomers)
That's not the point, you goof.

The question is "who is going to port/package/release is on MeeGo/whatever Nokia runs"

Remember, non FOSS works.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
Nokia doesn't produce crucial elements of its phones: semiconductors, screens, camera units. It buys them from its direct competitors in mobile markets like Samsung, LG, etc.
Samsung's cellular unit doesn't gain anything by being part of Samsung, ditto for LG. They treat the silicon division as if it were an entirely separate company, and Samsung has to fight for the design wins with other companies.

Originally Posted by droitwichgas View Post
interesting that Nokia apparently spend as much as google and Apple combined on development and you just have to wonder where all that money goes looking at the present state of symbian. and to a lesser extend meego?
Far Better solution for Nokia would be to port QtQuick to Android (and webOS)

Originally Posted by koivjann View Post
I would guess that next month there will be ONE MEEGO device launched and it's something else we have seen so far. No qwerty in this stage. Reformatted N9 will come later this year maybe october or so.

This guess is based on what those Nokia directos have said in last three months. But it will definetly be MEEGO with Nokia own UI which has something new. WHAT? I don't know.

Let's see how it goes
Tablet with ATOM CPU

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org