Active Topics

Hi there savvy tableteers,

I have been trying to get maemotex up and running on my N800. I successfully downloaded the maemotex_0.1.8_armel.deb package from http://www.ham.nw.schule.de/pub/bscw.cgi/365355

I then navigated to the .documents folder using xterm and saw the example.tex file, but when I typed pdflatex example.tex I got the message, "-sh: pdflatex: not found".

Am I missing some element required to make this work?
I would appreciate any help.

Thanks everyone

Look and see where this pdflatex binary was installed. It appears that it's not in your path (try: "which pdflatex" to see if it is in the path).

It may have been installed to /usr/local/bin

In that case you should either update LD_LIBRARY_PATH and add /usr/local/bin to it, or just symlink the files in /usr/local/bin to /usr/bin

Er, you mean PATH, not LD_LIBRARY_PATH I think...

Hello people. Thanks to lardman and TA-t3 I got this working. Whew! This device is forcing me to learn all the time.
For those who might come after me, this is what I did.
The pdflatex command (along with some others that I haven't played with yet) was placed upon downloading at /usr/local/maemotex/070803/bin/armel-maemo
I navigated to /bin and typed: ln -s /usr/local/maemotex/070802/bin/armel-maemo/pdflatex (this creates a symbolic link to the /bin where busybox appears to search for commands as I understand it)
now when you are in /home/user/MyDocs/.documents where the download of Maemotex places the 'example.tex' file you can type the command 'pdflatex example.tex'
Finally, open the pdf file which is created using the pdf veiwer. It should appear in the Documents folder as 'example'. You should se a beautifully typeset title page.
Thanks for the help folks.

Methinks maemotex could use some repackaging... if it's a .deb, it should install in standard locations, /usr/local is really for self-installed stuff that isn't easily managed by the package system (e.g. can't be removed in one go, or it conflicts with standard packages).

I would be happy to do it. Alas, I have zero experience with this sort of thing and wouldn't even know how to begin.

Er, you mean PATH, not LD_LIBRARY_PATH I think...
Yep, sorry, half asleep