Active Topics

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Android has got woeful security, piracy is rife.... since this is a games console (where the serious money is made from software sales) I'd be very surprised if the NGP (aka PSP2) is based on Android.
It may very well be Android for compatibility with Xperia Play games, however, I doubt it also.

Never thought I could find this thread in Maemo Talk

but yes of course, I have been following the live review from several gaming sites live from the Playstation Meeting event, and Sony did a great job for not disappointing me by announcing the PSP2, or what they called NGP (Next Generation Portable) today

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ irvine
what about the playstation phone ???

Originally Posted by danx View Post
what about the playstation phone ???
You mean Xperia Play? There is no phone branded Playstation..

Originally Posted by patlak View Post
Probably Android, so you could play Xperia Play games on it........
The screenshot certainly has a wiff of android. Check out the Home Icon, Multiple homescreens Battery indicator and then it has a 3g connection too.

Still, know word on HDMI Out?

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
The screenshot certainly has a wiff of android. Check out the Home Icon, Multiple homescreens Battery indicator and then it has a 3g connection too.

Still, know word on HDMI Out?
I think the hardware on the PSP2 is powerful enough to power an 1080P screen + an PSP2 game via HDMI.
It has PS3 like gfx on a resolution of 960 x 544. Anything above that and the system will slow down (I think)

But on the other hand, why would you want to connect your handheld gaming device to an non handheld screen?Doesn't it defeat the purpose of a handheld?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
There is Android in there. Same as the XPeria Play.

Initial games will be pushed out via emulation (like that leaked video from last month).

All this talk about security on Android, there's still DRM. It'll invariably get circumvented; however it's there, it's running, and the platform is being updated constantly and is on more devices than any other rival OS not named Symbian.

It's not odd that Sony did go the route of a proprietary "flash" card - yet another Sony makes a new format move. Beta, UMD, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, M2 (smaller variant) and I know I'm missing some others.

Perhaps that's where they will incorporate some extra security.

Regardless... huge win for Android - it's in there. I wonder if any other mobile OS will have the ability to natively/officially emulate the PlayStation/PlayStation Portable games or will that remain an Android only option.

Either way, I'll be looking for PlayStation Suite capable items - like my next phone and/or tablet.

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ France, St Martin
I wonder what is the name of the psp2 soc chip of sony i no is custom made for the psp2, I look up on internet no luck,I no
is a quad core proccesor from arm and a quad gpu from powervr