Active Topics

Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
okay im not an expert but this is how i understand.

Your n900 runs the Ondemand Governor. Which means, the cpu will run from the lowest freq to the highest depending on what the system or a process needs.

Example you're on ideal 500/1000, and you run an app which needs at least 850mhz. Your cpu will elevate from 500 to 850 in an instant.

So i believe....nothing is wrong....

(someone correct me please)
but this situation occered when i just had 1 browser and music playing.

Interesting story about the varying capability of the N900 CPU.

I was running:
Starving 125 mhz to 805 mhz as my primary profile
Starving 250 to 1100 mhz when I wanted more speed
Starving 125 mhz to 600 mhz for battery conservation

Then I broke the USB connector on my phone and sent it back to Nokia for in Warranty repair/replacement.

My brand new/refurb? N900 I received as a replacement reboots within seconds if I run ULV, XLV, Ideal, or Starving! I have settled on:
LV 125 to 805 mhz for primary profile
LV 125 to 600 mhz mode for battery conservation

Device reboots if I take the LV up to 1000 mhz so I have:
LV 500 to 900 mhz for more speed
Default 500 to 1000 mhz for max speed

I am still fine tuning but I must say I am a little disappointed this device is not as stable at even Ideal voltages. My battery life isnt quite the same as my original device.

This brings up a question: My old device was used for months before overclocking and undervolting. Maybe this one will get better after some use? Do the chip sets "break in" after some useage?

Originally Posted by sixracer View Post
This brings up a question: My old device was used for months before overclocking and undervolting. Maybe this one will get better after some use? Do the chip sets "break in" after some useage?
From my experience i believe so. my device never even got to ideal last year.. but after a couple of months on lower voltages i was soon able to use it at ideal voltages. now im aiming on the 'starving' values.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria

I don't think so. I've had 4 different N900's so far with different manufacture dates.
My experience is that the first N900's that were manufactured could operate at lower voltages than newer ones.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bulgaria
O'clocker CPU Frequency Monitor -> Can someome help me, i want to get this widget on my N900.But pls make images and write it simple,becaus i'm from Bulgaria and my english is not very well. Thank

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Richmond, VA
Interesting story about the varying capability of the N900 CPU.

I was running:
Starving 125 mhz to 805 mhz as my primary profile
Starving 250 to 1100 mhz when I wanted more speed
Starving 125 mhz to 600 mhz for battery conservation

Then I broke the USB connector on my phone and sent it back to Nokia for in Warranty repair/replacement.

My brand new/refurb? N900 I received as a replacement reboots within seconds if I run ULV, XLV, Ideal, or Starving! I have settled on:
LV 125 to 805 mhz for primary profile
LV 125 to 600 mhz mode for battery conservation

Device reboots if I take the LV up to 1000 mhz so I have:
LV 500 to 900 mhz for more speed
Default 500 to 1000 mhz for max speed

I am still fine tuning but I must say I am a little disappointed this device is not as stable at even Ideal voltages. My battery life isnt quite the same as my original device.

the exact thing happened to me. My older unit would do ulv 500 to 1000 or ideal the new one I recieved from nokia reboots above anything lv, maybe its power kernel version related?

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bulgaria
O'clocker CPU Frequency Monitor -> Can someome help me, i want to get this widget on my N900.But pls make images and write it simple,becaus i'm from Bulgaria and my english is not very well. Thank
pls conect me in skype : killerbeens

he guys,

Are you guys still satisfied about the overclocking part?

I am running my n900 for now like 9 months on 1000mhz without any probs.

In the beginning they say all people brick their devices, but it's still alive and kicking.

Are there any kills by overclocking already??
My n900 needs to hold it for 1 more year but i think it should do fine, i am also no heavy user with movies and ****, sometimes navigation or something.
So my cpu rarely maxes out, still I never turn back to 600mhz because the difference in overall speed, just alot snappier, faster, and just snappier xD
Thinking about to run it on 1100mhz but's that feels a little bit to high because of the overvoltage.

Greetz out of holland

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Senshin View Post
he guys,

Are you guys still satisfied about the overclocking part?

I am running my n900 for now like 9 months on 1000mhz without any probs.

In the beginning they say all people brick their devices, but it's still alive and kicking.

Are there any kills by overclocking already??
My n900 needs to hold it for 1 more year but i think it should do fine, i am also no heavy user with movies and ****, sometimes navigation or something.
So my cpu rarely maxes out, still I never turn back to 600mhz because the difference in overall speed, just alot snappier, faster, and just snappier xD
Thinking about to run it on 1100mhz but's that feels a little bit to high because of the overvoltage.

Greetz out of holland
There aren't any confirmed kills due to overclocking and extremely few claims of damage due to overclocking. It would be very diffiicult to prove anyway, because many of those claiming damage is likely keep making their claims lighter. At first they claimed overclocking would likely brick phones in a short time.When that obviously didn't happen, they started claiming that phones would eventually start acting funny and be less dependible. My phone always acted in ways I didn't expect sometimes even before I had even thought of overclocking, and it still does sometimes today. It never crashes and seems to be in great shape. I'm running at 900 mHz tops.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
btw, are they still manufacturing the N900?
or when was the last manufactured batch?

I'll be interested in how the most recent batched overclock compared to the initial batch.

My 2009 preorder model can do 1.1Ghz no probs.

I wonder if the Q2/Q3 N900 batches overclock much better?

Titan, any chance you can add more speeds to the kernel? Such as up to 1.3Ghz?
(we know the risks and most likely, it'll just lock up and need to reboot if it cna't handle that anyways. So hardly any risk. =P)

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom