Active Topics

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Al Quds, Isawiya
Hi
i would like to learn how to develop applications for the n900 from qt or maemo sdk

Does anyone know where i can learn this?

2. I cant find the maemo sdk.
how do i get the maemo sdk?

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=maemo+sdk+download

That any help for the maemo sdk?

Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
You should also consider developing using Qt/QML. If so, you will need the Nokia Qt SDK.

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

I try to understand the qt sdk and my head is about to explode, because i still dont know anything about developing applications.

Are there any books to learn about developing applications?
I have found a training book for the maemo sdk but it doesnt help that much.
i think i have to start from the beginning.
How did you learn to develop applications ?
in the university?

"Thinking in c++" (open digital book on the web) for C++ development.
"C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4 - 2nd Edition" from Trolltech for Qt libraries.
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/ for online documentation.

I have found a book about the c++ programming language.
The book says that i have to know basic things about the c programming language.

WTF???

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by N900L View Post
I try to understand the qt sdk and my head is about to explode, because i still dont know anything about developing applications.

I have found a training book for the maemo sdk but it doesnt help that much.
i think i have to start from the beginning.
in the university?
Brief chronology of my learning experience:

Feb 2010: Began learning object-oriented programming using Java via The Open University.

May 2010: Began learning Python/Qt in my spare time using this book. Completed a couple of personal projects.

August 2010: Began learning Maemo/Qt development. I did most of my development in the Eric 4 IDE (which is great for Python/Qt) and testing was done in Scratchbox.

November 2010: First release of cuteTube.

Now: Re-writing cuteTube using QML/C++. Development is done using Qt Creator 2.1.

Python is a great language and is one I would recommend for beginners, there are some nice tutorials from Thomas Perl on using Python/Qt/QML here.

You can also do quite a lot using just QML and JavaScript. There are quite a few useful examples here

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2011-01-24 at 19:24.

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 255 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by N900L View Post
Get a C++ programming book for completely newstarters, one that doesn't require previous knowledge of any other language, including C.

And one thing to note: it will take MONTHS to learn to do proper applications, do not rush!

in the university?
I started programming back in 80s on my Commodore 64, there were plenty of BASIC books and stuff back then. Then I moved to doing assembly on my trusty old IBM PS/2 i286, then to doing C/C++Žon my next PC and so on. Self-taught all the way.

I want to learn informatic in the university after finishing college.
Does informatic include developing applications also?
Thx for help.

Could you advise me a book you know?
I prefer books available in german language.

Last edited by N900L; 2011-01-24 at 19:42.

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Regarding knowing some C to use C++:

If you skip classes and object orientation, C++ is very much like C with pointers and memory allocation and all that, potentially, nasty stuff that you can get done for you in C++.

Understanding some C will help you a lot when you end up needing to make more fidgety things since you'll almost always end up flipping bits and worry about byte ordering and other very low level details.