Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
It is officially announced (sort of, as good as it gets). The next gen high end Nokia smartphone will have a ST Ericsson U8500 ARM Cortex-A9 (dual 1.2 GHz) and a Mali 400MP GPU.

http://eve-c.org/2011/rumors-the-cpu-of-the-nokia-n9/

IMO the N9 will have this spec, but it is not clear if it runs MeeGo or Symbian. There could be several devices though, but it looks like the MeeGo/Harmattan (the original N9) is scrapped altogether, both the original HW and the OS.
it seems true.

The Following User Says Thank You to n900maniac For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
here we go again with a new thread ikt will never end . True is it will run AMD SoC
Christ, read the link. ST Ericsson confirms that Nokia will be shipping at least one device with the U8500 platform, an ARM Cortex-A9 dual-core at 1.2 Ghz with a MALI 400 GPU in the first half of 2011. Question is, what will it be? A Symbian phone, a MeeGo phone or both? Mabe even a tablet (not likely - yet, probably never because Nokia will use Intel IMO).

But one thing is for sure. Within half a year we can get a Nokia of some sort (most probably a phone) with the ST Ericsson U8500 platform: dual Cortex-A9 at 1.2 GHz and a multicore GPU. The performance will be like nothing we have seen before. Call it what you want: N9, N007, N1001 whatever, it doesn't matter, it will kick some serious *** no matter what.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Christ, read the link. ST Ericsson confirms that Nokia will be shipping at least one device with the U8500 platform, an ARM Cortex-A9 dual-core at 1.2 Ghz with a MALI 400 GPU in the first half of 2011. Question is, what will it be? A Symbian phone, a MeeGo phone or both? Mabe even a tablet (not likely - yet, probably never because Nokia will use Intel IMO).

But one thing is for sure. Within half a year we can get a Nokia of some sort (most probably a phone) with the ST Ericsson U8500 platform: dual Cortex-A9 at 1.2 GHz and a multicore GPU. The performance will be like nothing we have seen before. Call it what you want: N9, N007, N1001 whatever, it doesn't matter, it will kick some serious *** no matter what.
Qualcomm also said year ago that they will have 2 Nokia phones shipping on the first half of last year, by no other than the CEO. Be really careful with these chip manufacturers estimated dates. They pretty much never happen like planned, if happen at all.

U8500 is pretty much born by Nokia and ST Ericsson for future Symbian devices and i don't think too many are doubting you that we will see it inside Nokia phone as it was already announced in 2008, but i very much doubt we will see it on the first wave of Meego devices, if at all this year from MeeGo side.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I predict with 100% certainty that the N9 will have a cpu in it, some ram and flash, an LCD display with touch screen, a cellular radio with 3g on some RF freq or other, wifi of some sort, bluetooth of some sort, a battery, a camera or two, and a usb port probably micro.

I can also predict that some people will love it, some people will say it's not as good as an iphone or an android device. Some people will complain its too big, others too small, some too fat, too heavy.

Some reviewers will reject it casually as it won't carry an apple logo, others will try it and hate it, some will love it.

Whilst you're waiting for it, go find something useful to do like learn to hack around with QtPy or something.

Still here?

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to speculatrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Speculatrix doesn't like speculation.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Speculatrix doesn't like speculation.
Speculatrix is a fraud ??? Well, one can only speculate...

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
I wonder if it will make phone calls??????????!!L

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-01-22 at 23:11.

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
I predict with 100% certainty that the N9 will have a cpu in it, some ram and flash, an LCD display with touch screen, a cellular radio with 3g on some RF freq or other, wifi of some sort, bluetooth of some sort, a battery, a camera or two, and a usb port probably micro.

I can also predict that some people will love it, some people will say it's not as good as an iphone or an android device. Some people will complain its too big, others too small, some too fat, too heavy.

Some reviewers will reject it casually as it won't carry an apple logo, others will try it and hate it, some will love it.
Doesn't sound likely to me...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tedri Mark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
ST-Ericsson
“As a strong supporter of open source Linux, we welcome the MeeGo initiative,” says Teppo Hemia, Vice President and head of 3G Multimedia Platforms at ST-Ericsson. “ST-Ericsson will strive to provide the best reference design to the developer community, while also contributing to the development of a broad array of innovative new mobile devices.”

okay great, but the meego kernel doesn't support any part of the u8500 platform yet. where's the drivers for the ab8500, cw1200, or cg2900? where's the kernel patches to enable those when the u8500 is detected? I am pretty sure if the N9 was to be a ST-Ericsson device, they would be required to put these components into the official repository by now. Even you yourself think the N9 is scrapped, yet you make a topic "N9 will have...". What an abortion of a thread.

Code:
# Now, each variant package.

%ifarch %all_x86

%define variant_summary Kernel for Netbooks
%kernel_variant_package netbook
%description netbook
This package contains the kernel optimized for the various popular netbooks.

%define variant_summary Kernel for Menlow
%kernel_variant_package menlow
%description menlow
This package contains the kernel optimized for the Menlow platform

%define variant_summary Kernel for Mooresetown for CDK
%kernel_variant_package shcdk
%description shcdk
This package contains the kernel optimized for the Moorsetown platform for CDK

%define variant_summary Kernel for Mooresetown for Aava
%kernel_variant_package aava
%description aava
This package contains the kernel optimized for the Moorsetown platform for Aava

%define variant_summary Kernel for IVI
%kernel_variant_package ivi
%description ivi
This package contains the kernel optimized for In Vehicle Infotainment segments

%endif

%ifarch %{all_arm}

#N900 ARM variant
%define variant_summary Kernel for the Nokia N900
%kernel_variant_package n900
%description n900
This package contains the kernel optimized for the Nokia N900 device

#Put other ARM variants here

%endif
what do you see there?
a bunch of supported x86 platforms, and the arm stuff. arm stuff says n900 and a comment saying
#Put other ARM variants here
ITS BLANK
I assume medfield is the native platform, so isn't listed either.
from here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
That's an old video, I've seen it ages ago. But thanks for finding it.

Well Nokia's next flagship has 4 likely processor candidates:
(in order of most likely to least likely, imho)

1) Texas Instrument OMAP 3640 with 512MB DDR2 RAM (Single-core Cortex A8 @1GHz, SGX535)

2) ST-Ericson U8500 with 1GB DDR2 RAM (Dual-core Cortex A9 @1.2GHz, MALI 400MP)

3) Texas Instrument OMAP 4430 with 1GB DDR2 RAM (Dual-core Cortex A9 @1GHz, SGX540)

4) Intel Atom Z6xx (Moorsetown) with 1GB DDR2 RAM (Single-core x86 @1.2GHz, GMA600=SGX535)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:

Tags
fud fud fud fud, get an iphone, mmm... popcorn, stop posting