Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
I've never known someone so obsessed with AOL Instant Messenger. It feels like 1998 again. Next you'll be wanting to install Netscape Navigator lol.

Here's how I see it, if you're gonna go Android, get a great one. Basically, anything capable of Cyanogen Mod is worth owning.

Oh, and funny how everybody says that N900's messaging integration is top-notch, which is mostly true, but I find it hilarious that Nokia didn't include MMS. 70% tablet 30% phone my *** if you're gonna skimp out on features a 40 USD Nokia 5310 XM has.

Last edited by mattbutsko; 2011-01-21 at 22:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to mattbutsko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
I've never known someone so obsessed with AOL Instant Messenger. It feels like 1998 again. Next you'll be wanting to install Netscape Navigator lol.
It is quite sad actually, the only people I know using AIM is the office I'm in, everyone else is either gtalk/fb/skype (and others).

...hrmn, netscape nav on the N900. *ponder*

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coderedcomputing For This Useful Post:
I recently downgraded to a Nokia E72. I really like the N900 but it's now a glorified alarm clock (and Freecell machine and video player and rss feed reader) okay, so maybe it's a $500 Chumby or something... I can't bring myself to sell it, even though I should.

I bought and returned an Xperia X10 Mini Pro - a very cute Android disaster of a phone right before buying the E72. (It would have helped if the Android Market had found a way to cope with all the device fragmentation. I just didn't have the energy to deal with the endless rom flashing again like I did with my G1.)

In the end, I just wanted a phone that worked, that could slip into my jeans pocket, that got good battery life (like more than a day, if necessary) and had a keyboard and a decent enough camera. (Although this not having a dedicated camera button is the worst part of the phone.) I still have wifi for the odd net thing but I have a laptop and a desktop, so I don't need the phone to do everything and am happier now that I stopped trying.

Once in a while I miss the tweaking and apps thing but like the OP, I identified the most important (to me) features and then I just jumped.

Of course, if the latest Palm Pre had a better camera and an sd slot or if I could afford the newest Blackberry with the slide-out keyboard I might have decided differently but for now I'm okay with my retro Symbian phone.

Terry (recovering smartphone addict)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terryowen For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Whatever you do, don't sell it. I got a Samsung Wave running Bada, used it for 3 weeks, but now I am back with my good old N900 The grass may in fact be greener on the other side (Bada is definitely cooler and smoother and nicer than Maemo), but you may end up realizing that the color of the grass is irrelevant compared with all the other things in the field.

If you are going for something else, at least go for Symbian*3. It is almost identical to Maemo in look and feel, only it has much more functionality phone-vise, and not to mention OVI services.

Originally Posted by coderedcomputing View Post
It is quite sad actually, the only people I know using AIM is the office I'm in, everyone else is either gtalk/fb/skype (and others).

...hrmn, netscape nav on the N900. *ponder*
Haha! At least you have a sense of humour about it :-)

Originally Posted by mattbutsko View Post
Here's how I see it, if you're gonna go Android, get a great one. Basically, anything capable of Cyanogen Mod is worth owning.

Oh, and funny how everybody says that N900's messaging integration is top-notch, which is mostly true, but I find it hilarious that Nokia didn't include MMS. 70% tablet 30% phone my *** if you're gonna skimp out on features a 40 USD Nokia 5310 XM has.
Again, it feels like 1998. Does anyone even send MMS nowadays?

Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
Again, it feels like 1998. Does anyone even send MMS nowadays?
Well yeah, is there a faster way to take a picture and send it to virtually anybody than a smartphone? There's a reason that every other smartphone has MMS.

The Following User Says Thank You to mattbutsko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderedcomputing View Post

I'm a *nix guy (...) I got bored with switching to a new OS (...) I decided to ditch NITDroid (...) It seems, the things I wanted this device to do, are all possible (...) It's just like working on any of my linux boxes in general (...) Seeing the other options(...) IPhone, Android, even a Winbleh phone... I start to wonder if tossing this N900 (...)
So folks, help me out here. (...) I am getting so sick of this device.
There. What he sed.

Despite being pretty much what you know and love from off-phone, you get bored and sick of the device so you swap OS. Find another device you can as easily swap through multiple OS's on, and you have your replacement.

When you get bored with this phone, you can install Easy Ubuntu, EasyDeb, Mer, NITDroid. When you get bored with the Nexus S, you can toss it.

So, as far as I see it, you already convinced yourself, you just didn't notice yet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by mattbutsko View Post

Which do you think is funnier: That Apple doesn't support Flash or that Nokia doesn't come with MMS?

BTW: Has FMMS already been mentioned?

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:

Tags
compare-choose, keep it, sell it, taggggg