Active Topics

I seem to have a massive problem with the N900 application manager and the Faster Application Manager which I have downloaded. The built in application manager has somehow deleted all it's catalogues and everytime I create a new catalogue; nothing happens. Also, I have no applications installed according to it, when I clearly do but I can't uninstall any of them as they don't show up in the uninstall section.

With Faster Application Manager, no catalogues work at all, as in I create them but there seems to be an error and they don't work.

HELP!

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Did you install the modified hildon desktop at any point recently?

Is it related to this error? "E: Invalid record in the preferences file, no Package header"

To find out, open an xterm and do apt-get update. (You should always do this if you ever encounter problems with either the built in application manager or fapman)

If the answer is yes then either correct the /etc/apt/preferences file or just delete it.

If you get some other error then post it here : )

The Following User Says Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post:
Sorry about the belated reply but I've got the application manager working now but it's so slow :/

i cant handle my application manager
its not working

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by nappyboy View Post
i cant handle my application manager
its not working
Open xterm and log in as root. Run apt-get update a few times and watch the error messages. That might give you a clue what's wrong.

Another thing to try is disabling repositories and see if it works better.

If those suggestions are off, try providing more details than "it's not working".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Usually it's just a temporary thing, mine wasn't working for a day or two and then all of a sudden it worked..

Originally Posted by dchky View Post
Did you install the modified hildon desktop at any point recently?

Is it related to this error? "E: Invalid record in the preferences file, no Package header"

To find out, open an xterm and do apt-get update. (You should always do this if you ever encounter problems with either the built in application manager or fapman)

If the answer is yes then either correct the /etc/apt/preferences file or just delete it.

If you get some other error then post it here : )
Thanks a million dchky. I was about to reflash my device, but ur advice saved a lot of trouble. Thanks again.

PS: any idea why the fapman is a bit slower after this?

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Mid-Wales, UK
I'm having a problem with the Application Manager too!

I really don't have any experience adding repositries or anything like that as i've only used the App Manager a few times...

Last week (when in Venice on a foreign wifi hotspot) i loaded it to look for a compass app, since then (now home) i get "Operation failed" with this in the log:

"hildon-application-manager 2.2.71
E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/downloads.maemo.nokia.com_fremantle_ssu_205_._Pack ages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened."

When i try the first step mentioned above i get the following:

"~ $ apt-get update
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the list directory"

I've not installed a modified desktop or anything like that i know of (havn't added anything for months).

Apologies asim786 for hijacking this thread

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Mid-Wales, UK
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Another thing to try is disabling repositories and see if it works better.
I've fixed my problem!

After reading the above i went into the Application manager options and disabled all the listed catalogues, then one-by-one i reenabled them and tested each in turn (all successfully) and now it's working perfectly!

Thanks for all the information here guys, reading some of the other threads i've been getting some of the N900 bug back!

Posts: 404 | Thanked: 186 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dehradun,India
Originally Posted by roady View Post
"~ $ apt-get update
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the list directory"

I've not installed a modified desktop or anything like that i know of (havn't added anything for months).

Apologies asim786 for hijacking this thread
you need to be root to run apt-get install rootsh if u havnt installed it
then run

root
apt-get update