Active Topics

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
I'm just hopefull about the future of Nokia devices when i see the design of the E7! IMHO it's one of the (if not THE!) best lookin designs of a mobile computer ever! If they keep this up they will get it right eventually! + we know that Nokia is capable of creating amazing OS's aswell (Maemo! No?)

I'm really excited!

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by pocale View Post
Now that i know how interesting device an open mobile-computer-phone as N900 can be, no way i would swap down to some closed system as S^3 again. My N900 does everything i need for me.

-
Here here. Before getting my N900, I was a Nokia S60 freak, going from phone to phone, but fairly happy with what S60 offered, as I wasn't even all that bothered about using a web browser (mainly due to co$t and having access to computers all day). Now I'm on the N900 I couldn't live without it! It does EVERYTHING I need and much more. But knowing what Maemo is capable of and comparing that to what I know (first-hand) of S60 and what is in the reviews about Symbian3, I don't think it's worth the risk to jump ship, even if S3 gets a load of fancy updates in 2011. It just won't be as versatile as Maemo. But I agree with a previous post, that Symbian (both S60 and the new 3) fit well for a lot of people - like my girlfriend, who watches me tweak my N900 with a look of "OMG you're CHANGING settings??!" - she'd be happy to have a more user friendly UI like Symbian. She wouldn't even know where to begin (or care) with installing fMMS or Tweakr!! That's where Nokia know Symbian will keep the $$$ coming in worldwide. And then there are geeks like us...

i am interested in Motorola Atrix 4G, especially on the desktop experience when combine with docking station..

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK, England
4 things I'd like to know.

1) What phones could run Maemo 5, that would actually work. (My N900fell out my pocket and was crushed by the bus I was trying to run for. So I walked home after that This was Y-day btw)

2) What is all the talk about android 2.3 this that. I mean I ran nitdroid on my device, what going to happen when Googls Honycombe comes out could our N900's handle that??

3) If both of my answers are a no then Nokia need to do a N900-2 because this device is loosing the speed race and other specs. hands down was the best phone now the E7 and N9 are here anyway, HTC have phone that can raw out perform our N900s now.

4) Where does the compatibility stand with Meego and the E7 and would it be easy for the developers to migrate their apps from the Meamo 5 to Meego. If so I think the answer is pretty closer.

5) I know I said 4 things, which is why this needs no answer. If all of that a no, then it looks like the insurance company will have to replace my n900 with a n900 this is all before I make the claim btw. Just wanted to get a few things clear.

Thanks in advance

Also the threat of Windows 7 Mobile. LMFAO what a peice of sh*t

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
I did the change from N900 to Nokia N8, just got it few days ago (company bought for us) and I am glad with it. Even though N8's browser infuriates me at times I hope that with the new update things will get better.

My girlfriend she has a Nokia N8 and, recently, we have traveled to greece and I was amazed at the pictures it took.

What is awesome in the N8:
+Camera (o'rlly?)
+HDMI+Mouse support (in greece we used as our photo editor/email/browsing)
+3rd party apps (Yes I am shallow... I like spotify, foursquare, nokia big screen etc)
+Nokia Support: Either Ovi services (maps/mail/online/suite)
+Battery life

What I dont like:
-Calendar: N900 calendar it is still miles ahead in easy of use compared to the N8. Maybe some getting used to it still.
-UI feels clunky, even though snappier than N900

What I miss from N900:
+Browsing
+Skype integration
+The extra GBs of onboard memory

What I dont:
-Lack of Nokia support for its own services (Calendar/Maps/Suite/etc)
-Lack of 3rd party apps (I am not talking about tertminal-script-ish apps)

N900 was a lot of fun when I got because I was so excited to develop for it. But this whole platform change really turned me down. I can not say I have been burned by jumping head first but I want what a more mature platform offers me.

I had an iPhone and hated the way the phone controlled me. My next phone, if not a Symbian or MeeGo, would be an Android.

---------
I guess my point is depends what you want your phone to do for you. Nokia N8 performs very well and even impresses me sometimes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HangLoose For This Useful Post:
What I like about the E7-00 is the looks. And I suppose the Nokia software is more mature there (Ovi Maps i.e.).

But going from the N900 to the E7-00 would be like going from a tablet PC to an Ipad. It'd just make no sense to me, what so ever. Trading functionality over oily slickness. Bleh. >_<

Last edited by volt; 2011-01-19 at 15:44. Reason: I could have sworn I already edited the typo in N7-00 to E7-00 yesterday... Oh well.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
im not jumping back to symbian......i would get a Symbian^3 device but not to use it as a power user's tool.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Posts: 205 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ manila, philippines
E7 is not an option since the N9 is coming soon.

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
All these guys here getting seduced by the Symbian.

LOL! Don't do it. Symbian was good at s60v3 for the N95 and the E90 but after that it went to the wall. All this talk of updates every few months, and step 4 of 5 and all that bullcrap. I fell for that crap when I bought an N97 at launch. I ain't getting another Symbian phone. Ever.

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-01-19 at 19:33.

Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
But Nokia are supporting Symbian3 for now. Remember it didn't take them too long to drop Maemo support. And while that is less of a problem because the Maemo community seem to be doing a better job at keeping things fresh than Nokia ever could've done, it makes me think that as soon as the E7 is out in the wild, a few months after that, E7 (and N8) owners will be frustrated because it's likely that Nokia will drop (or reduce) support for Symbian3 as they focus their attention on Meego.
I don't believe that at all. Maemo (as a phone os) was just a little side project for Nokia. Symbian^3 is a whole different story.

The Following User Says Thank You to RFS-81 For This Useful Post: