Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
If you got more than 5 gadgets, you don't own them - they own you.

I still haven't found anything close to a perfect combination of gadgets working in harmony, there's always something. I could use iGadgets, then the gadgets wouldn't own me, Steve would, so it is no good alternative.

Hell, the N900 can't even sync with Ovi. But Symbian and Ovi is getting increasingly better by the hour, with an N8 (or some other symbian^3) there is almost no need for a PC anymore.

So whatever the N9 will be, if it can't operate properly with Ovi, forget it. I have tried so many different stuff lately, and we can discuss Symbian and MeeGo and Android and Bada and WP7 all we want, it doesn't matter. Ovi and all the services there is what it is all about, it is what Nokia will be all about. With proper Ovi integration I could have all the gadgets in the world, and they wouldn't own me, I would own them. I am not talking apps here, I am talking the whole package of Ovi services. It is what makes all the difference between Nokia and the rest.

I see what you're trying to say, but you don't need more than 5 gadgets to be addicted to one. First week I got the N900, I never put it down.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattbutsko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post

I still haven't found anything close to a perfect combination of gadgets working in harmony, there's always something. I could use iGadgets, then the gadgets wouldn't own me, Steve would, so it is no good alternative.

Hell, the N900 can't even sync with Ovi. But Symbian and Ovi is getting increasingly better by the hour, with an N8 (or some other symbian^3) there is almost no need for a PC anymore.

So whatever the N9 will be, if it can't operate properly with Ovi, forget it. I have tried so many different stuff lately, and we can discuss Symbian and MeeGo and Android and Bada and WP7 all we want, it doesn't matter. Ovi and all the services there is what it is all about, it is what Nokia will be all about. With proper Ovi integration I could have all the gadgets in the world, and they wouldn't own me, I would own them. I am not talking apps here, I am talking the whole package of Ovi services. It is what makes all the difference between Nokia and the rest.

With the N900, I don't have 5 gadgets anymore.. It has replaced, Mp3 player, fm radio, internet radio, portable video player, phone, digital camera, SatNav, bicycle computer, and nearly a laptop!

I installed Ovi Suite 3 on my windows 7 work laptop, and it syncs perfectly with the N900, and with Outlook on the desktop for my calendar appointments as well. The only thing it does not sync for me are the favourites in Maps, but I do not use Ovi Maps on the N900 anyway.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following User Says Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:

Syncing and services are not really as important to me; yeah, being able to sync contacts is nice, but the calendar in my pocket is the only one I use and as I use IMAP for email, sncing that isn't really an issue. Having a computer n my pocket that can, of itself, do stuff is more important to me. My PC's U/S at the moment, adn has been for months. The main reasons I want to reanimate it are to watch/record TV and rip DVDs...

Edit: Nota bene - one example of the device not able to do stuff on its own which really annoys me: Maps needing to go online to search and calculate routes (the current workarounds being developed notwithstanding). I know the device can do it, so I don't want an Ovi service, I want the device to Just Do It, particularly when on holiday and trying to avaoid to much by way of roaming charges...

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Last edited by TomJ; 2011-01-16 at 17:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
With the N900, I don't have 5 gadgets anymore.. It has replaced, Mp3 player, fm radio, internet radio, portable video player, phone, digital camera, SatNav, bicycle computer, and nearly a laptop!

I installed Ovi Suite 3 on my windows 7 work laptop, and it syncs perfectly with the N900, and with Outlook on the desktop for my calendar appointments as well. The only thing it does not sync for me are the favourites in Maps, but I do not use Ovi Maps on the N900 anyway.
Yes, but it does not sync with Ovi, the online service (mail, calender, contacts, music, pics, videos, maps (not properly at least) and so on). With Ovi Suite you need a PC running MS-Windows, syncing directly with Ovi is better. With the N900 you cannot even connect with Ovi through Ovi Suite, only MS Outlook.

Symbian devices are OK regarding Ovi, but not more. They are getting better and better at it every other week though, through updates. The N900 is left out in the cold. Ovi is getting really good, and by not being connected, we are missing half of what constitutes a Nokia device.

For instance, if you have purchased a song or an album, you can download that music on the fly wherever you are. Technically you can do that also on the N900, but the "steam engine way" compared to the 2011-way.

With Ovi services and proper integration you really can through away your desktop, or not, it doesn't matter. Everything is there in Ovi no matter what.

Open source, closed source, MeeGo, Android, Bada, touch screen, twin processors and whatnot, it is all becoming close to irrelevant unless you have proper online services - like Ovi.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Originally Posted by turbowei View Post
Oh, my. So, are you going to stick with your current CPU and Motherboard , say , 2 years from now? Nah, you are going to have to upgrade.
Huh? That's MY point. My last upgrade of the mobo, cpu cost probably $400 and got me a quad core cpu that is running at 3800 MHz and a motherboard that has USB 3, dual gigabit lan, and support for 3 video cards. My laptop less than 2 years old can never upgrade past a single video card and dual core cpu, so it costs me around $1500 every 2-3 years to replace it. So, anyone that actually wants a fast computer needs to spend 3-4 times more money if you want it to be portable too! The initial investment is not so different, but having to replace the entire portable device every few years is the problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Bicycle computer? Isn't it a bit overkill to use a N900 to replace that. I'd certainly worry about it getting damaged if I mounted it to my bike handlebar. Also is there a way for the N900 to interface with a heart rate monitor like my bike computer does?

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Yes, but it does not sync with Ovi, the online service (mail, calender, contacts, music, pics, videos, maps (not properly at least) and so on). With Ovi Suite you need a PC running MS-Windows, syncing directly with Ovi is better. With the N900 you cannot even connect with Ovi through Ovi Suite, only MS Outlook.

Symbian devices are OK regarding Ovi, but not more. They are getting better and better at it every other week though, through updates. The N900 is left out in the cold. Ovi is getting really good, and by not being connected, we are missing half of what constitutes a Nokia device.

For instance, if you have purchased a song or an album, you can download that music on the fly wherever you are. Technically you can do that also on the N900, but the "steam engine way" compared to the 2011-way.

With Ovi services and proper integration you really can through away your desktop, or not, it doesn't matter. Everything is there in Ovi no matter what.

Open source, closed source, MeeGo, Android, Bada, touch screen, twin processors and whatnot, it is all becoming close to irrelevant unless you have proper online services - like Ovi.
Fair Dos, if you need it to sync to a particular service. I don't use Ovi online for anything, as I find that it is too bound to nokia's symbian devices, which is your point, and one I think is ultimately limiting for the web service, not the device. I started syncing my Maps favorites when I had a symbian device, but the N900 stopped that.

I prefer and look for more independent cloud services, and actually use Google for mail, and Picasa for photos. I also upload photos via ftp to my own server at the same time using pixelpipe and tags. I know using google sounds kinda counter-intuitive for independent services, but I can live with the ad based system as they work for me, and I know that they will remain so.

If I ever jump ship from Nokia, to Android perhaps(unlikely), then I can still access my services, which is what is important to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
Bicycle computer? Isn't it a bit overkill to use a N900 to replace that. I'd certainly worry about it getting damaged if I mounted it to my bike handlebar. Also is there a way for the N900 to interface with a heart rate monitor like my bike computer does?
To be fair I still have a computer on the bike, but that is cos it hasn't broken yet!

I use Ecoach, and then upload the files to Endomondo. I used to use sports tracker, but they are only interested in symbian, and the new flash based interface is bloody awful, and does not work on a N900 anyway. I like being able to review my ride on the website, and then try to improve. It also lets me share my rides via faceboo, and twitter etc. It sounds more grand and scentific than it is! I'm really a lardarse trying to lose a few pounds, and get some of my former form back!!

The N900 sits in a padded pouch in my rackpack quietly logging the data. You can get dedicated holders for them which could mount on the handlebars. I had one for my symbian phone which held the phone really securely, even off-road.

You can get bluetooth heart monitors to interface with ecoach, although I don't have one yet. checkout the ecoach thread on this forum for details.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
You can get bluetooth heart monitors to interface with ecoach, although I don't have one yet. checkout the ecoach thread on this forum for details.
Thanks, I hadn't really looked at eCoach, I think I'll give it a test the next time I do some exercise. eCoach only lists two compatible heart rate monitors in its description, one doesn't seem to be available anywhere and the other is £85, which is 30 odd quid more than my current bike computer (with included heart rate monitor) cost me.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post: