Active Topics

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
@gazza_d

Stop projecting yourself onto the OP and read what they wrote. This device is not for them.
actually i did read the original post. several times, and the OPs use case is similar to mine, at least away from the home, which is mainly text based comms such as email, sms, and facebook.

i then outlined my usage case as an example, which is actually a low cost monthly contract, and gave details on the likely support available for the device.

All of which was an attempt to be helpful and constructive and give the OP more information which they could use to make an informed decision on whether to buy the N900,

Unlike yourself who made the decision for the OP with what boiled down to "it's too compllicated for you, go away and buy something else", to which in my view was extremely negative, and could be construed as projecting your negative feelings towards the N900 onto the OP.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by dagoss View Post
My current plan with Sprint is about to expire. I'm torn between getting an Android phone with Sprint on contract (not sure which one), or getting an n900 on T-mobile prepaid in the Buffalo, NY area. I want to avoid a high monthly bill, and I'm not someone who really lives in the cloud, so I feel like I wouldn't get out of an Android phone what I'd pay into it. I mostly use my phone for sms, email, and Facebook, occasionally for GPS.

I'd just like to know how people feel about the device now that it's been around for awhile and, as I understand it, Nokia no longer supports Maemo. Are there any common hardware issues? Is the community still active?
I know nothing about the mobile plan you're going to subscribe but I think I can give a couple of advices that you could probably use.

You might take it a grant of salt when you hear those who told you Nokia no longer support N900/Maemo or N900 is inferior to some other latest smartphones (N900 has been out for more than a year FFS).

BTW, what you need to be aware is that N900 is an Internet tablet and you'd really want to get a flat-rate mobile Internet plan. It's good if you can easily access to WiFi in your city.

Those who said N900 has no software are making an equivalence of games to software. Granted N900 has fewer games than in Android and even fewer than in iPhone, but IMHO N900 has more useful software than any other phones. I used to use Android phone but the only software I'd really miss are Layer and Google Skymap.

Therefore, it depends on how you'd like to use your phone and what you expect from N900. Hope this helps.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
I've been a Linux user for a few years now, so I'm comfortable tweaking, screwing things up because I'm too comfortable tweaking, fixing what I screwed up, etc. That's the main reason I'm leaning towards n900.
Ah, then you will _love_ the n900. I'm a newbie here; I just picked up an n900 about a month ago (my ancient first-gen iPhone's battery is dying). I'm totally amazed that I can fire up an xterm and start editing files with vim, all without using some "jailbreak" mechanism and voiding my warrantee.

When you look at the n900, you should keep the term "internet tablet" in mind. The n900 is the successor to several years of development of Nokia cell-phone-sized computers; while it isn't as refined a cell phone as an iPhone or an Android phone, it is certainly far more a mobile computer than those can ever hope to be.

Is it easy to manage data-useage, like can I turn off data usage and leave on the rest of my network coverage?
As Mentalist Traceur noted, you can control data usage at an extremely fine level on this device. Yes, you can manually choose not to use the cell connection for IP data, while continuing to use it for phone access. (And by default the machine automagically switches away from the cellular network to wifi for ip data whenever in range of an approved wifi connection.) I've also got the 3g/2g/dual mode applet installed on mine, and can say that it works perfectly; I leave the thing in 2g mode most of the time to conserve the battery, and only switch to higher speed mode when I really need the extra bandwidth.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@romanianusa: I think you need to check the market again, bro...

emulators are abound, even on iphone...

There are plenty of Android handsets with keyboards. Some with even better layout than the n900. Even the iphone has 'grown' a keyboard now (albeit bluetooth one).

I don't think Android & iPhone users miss not having FM transmitter... and they can buy small fm transmitter widgets if they want that functionality.

Mods and skins are plentiful in android, even iphone.

Browser with flash? The latest android handsets have more recent flash support than the n900. Probably with better performance too.

I'm not ragging on the n900... just saying the market is different than what you're depicting in your post...
iPhone w/ a bluetooth keyboard?? No thanks!

fm transmitter widget?? Is it as decent as the N900?? Can it trasmit up to 120frequency? IF not, no thanks!

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ New York, United States
A n900 is on its way...

The Following User Says Thank You to dagoss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Nu1st Street, Iron Triange, Richmond, CA
Yo- If you are in the market for a bad *** smartphone, plus a reasonable phone bill for full on data, I haven't seen a better alternative than the n900. If you need to run with Moore's Law then go get a contract with a communications behemoth.

My two cents: N900 is not a phone, it's a nifty device with a phone feature and once you get it, you need to maximise it's use, no point in having a $500/$600 device which you use for a few functions, it would be a waste. However, the plus side is the active community and answers on the device from all sorts of wierd and wonderful people... only if you are willing to explore... go for it.

for my uses and preferences, nothing beats the n900 and before that I used an n810 constantly tethered through a plam treo. Haha, active community, you should have seen the debate when it was revealed that the n900 would have a cellular radio, I was grateful, but yeah it got real active, lol.

i would say, if, like me:

you prefer a hardware keyboard
you are already familiar with linux command line tools
you are very present online with various IM networks
you admin various servers and networks on a regular basis
you like to hack
you like to be different

the n900 is for you

if, however

you want the fastest shiniest device out there
you want something that works simply and as expected
you want to be engaged in the popular games etc with friends
you want a very slim sleek device
you want super fast email(i see you are coming from BB)

the n900 is not for you

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
A n900 is on its way...
cool, i hope you are not disappointed! Make sure you give yourself lots of time to figure out the gps apps, there are probably 5 different ones, and also the option to install a plugin to the web browser that lets google maps online use the gps. meego should be usable on the n900 soon too, and the nitdroid project might get gps working soon too. This n900 really has the highest potential out of any smartphone, but nokia, like most large companies, has no good management to push things in the right direction...

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ saudi arabia
dont get it!

BULL* apps makes your n900 slow to death

no useful conectivity real apps!