Poll: Will we see something mobile MeeGo related at Mobile World Congress 2011?
Poll Options
Will we see something mobile MeeGo related at Mobile World Congress 2011?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mattbutsko View Post
The iPad was successful because people will blindly purchase Apple products because Apple made them. MeeGo wouldn't be so lucky.
Normally, I'd agree. However, the biggest problem isn't that people are truly blind to whatever Apple puts out - that's a huge thing to overlook, but let's look over that for a moment - it's mainly because of the work put into roping in so much media under their iTunes Music Store and iPhoto apps. Grandma's can now share photos, get new music and/or videos and all they have to do is use iTunes Music Store and/or a Mac.

Apple knows how to sell a service. Too bad that the interoperability and ease of use is overlooked by a lot of other companies - DoubleTwist adds that for the Android platform and it works damn well.

Not everybody is into command line methods to get their stuff onto their machine. That and drag and drop are usually seen as "work" and not as a "it just works" solution. And the Reality Distortion Field™ is enough to make folks think that's the best, if not easiest solution out there.

I disagree. But at the same time, I can see merit in wanting to be... well, plug and play... sync and dash... easy as hell to do, walk out of the door with a George Jetson one-button push to do it all.

Apple has put in the work to sell those services and have your desktop talk nicely to your device. Too bad that Nokia cannot say the same thing. As a gadget hound, we'll find a way to get our stuff on the machine. But the non-savvy folks are the ones that give Apple credit.

If you commute, look at who uses what during your commute. If you're in Europe - nevermind. I'm sure it's a Nokia product. But is it a Nokia MeeGo tablet?

Perhaps not. Until that happens, people will look at the Apple iPad as a possible - and pretty much a horrible - tablet choice. And by "happens" I mean that Nokia needs to get the desktop, the app store (or whatever the pending MS vs. Apple trademark battle makes me regard that) the music, the video, and flashing (seriously, support the damn 64-bit systems) together on day one and things should be on the up and up.

iTunes as a software sucks. As a service, it collects a lot of stuff for folks in one simple suite of apps. Outside of the Zune software (which I like better), Nokia has nothing to compete with that. And they should.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Now hearing a small chance that a limited demo of Nokia Meego/N9 at MWC but still much more likely to be a no than any form of yes (with respect to the poll question and as far as Nokia goes).

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by mattbutsko View Post
Pics or it didn't happen. And what I mean by that is proof, it just didn't fit with the internet meme.

My bad, didn't mean to double post.

At the price of booth space at an event like this I susperct there will be something MeeGo related available. Can't see having a booth that is there simply to hand out foam cutouts of the MeeGo figures. Mobile related content? Who knows! Maybe someone from the MeeGo Community can ring in and answer yes/no.

Originally Posted by tzsm98 View Post

At the price of booth space at an event like this I susperct there will be something MeeGo related available. Can't see having a booth that is there simply to hand out foam cutouts of the MeeGo figures. Mobile related content? Who knows! Maybe someone from the MeeGo Community can ring in and answer yes/no.
Nokia got rather big space in MWC and as far as i go my expectations for any MeeGo related Q1 announcement have been nothing else than around Nokia's Harmattan-MeeGo.

That said i'm not sure at all that we will be seeing any MeeGo or MeeGo/Harmattan announcement from Nokia in MWC, hopefully we do.

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Rio de Janeiro
Originally Posted by riahc3 View Post
Same. MeeGo sounds intresting/great but if its not out by MWC, why wait until Nov for the meamo gathering?

If SOMETHING is not announced by Feb, Im feeling most will (sadly) jump to Android.
Yes me too unfortunately. Or if the N9 comes with a processor slower than actual high end phones. Android now have dualcore phones.

Originally Posted by gleydsonpr View Post
Yes me too unfortunately. Or if the N9 comes with a processor slower than actual high end phones. Android now have dualcore phones.
Everyone "left" when it was not announced in 2010 too!

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Nokia got rather big space in MWC and as far as i go my expectations for any MeeGo related Q1 announcement have been nothing else than around Nokia's Harmattan-MeeGo.

That said i'm not sure at all that we will be seeing any MeeGo or MeeGo/Harmattan announcement from Nokia in MWC, hopefully we do.
See this, this, and this

for the latest and not so latest rumors about the N9/MeeGo/MeeGo-Harmattan at the MWC. Time will tell.

The above links were found elsewhere in talk.

Originally Posted by tzsm98 View Post
See this, this, and this
That first link is the only one I can reasonably believe is true. A8 chips are mid-range chips now, and if Nokia wants to play in the high end, they have to play Motorola/HTC/Samsung's game because they certainly can't play Apple's.

I suspect that, if true, then behind the scenes an A8 device was born and died, and along with it MeeGo-Harmattan did as well. If they were planning to use a Debian-style filesystem with Debian packaging, then they would be out of compliance with the spec and not permitted to use the MeeGo brand, and that would dilute it more than anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
That first link is the only one I can reasonably believe is true. A8 chips are mid-range chips now, and if Nokia wants to play in the high end, they have to play Motorola/HTC/Samsung's game because they certainly can't play Apple's.
Hmph. IMO putting chips that are relatively cheap to manufacture, low power usage and last in mid-high range on speed is probably best business decision. With most powerful cpu & gpu you end up wasting investors money in average joe market. Better OS, services and integration between all meego devices is the key to success. People have lost it with this dual-extravaganza craziness. I´m not saying that I would not like to have most powerful cpu&gpu (btw. any benchmark tables on different cpu&gpu?) but fact is that every app and game is produced to low-mid range market on cpu&gpu side so it would be not good business to shoot over. On the other hand HDMI, good camera, good battery life are something that are must have and IMO highly appreciated.

.edit
Still I´m glad if it has leanest and meanest cpu&gpu but IMO it´s just not that important when you look whole package.

Last edited by slender; 2011-01-13 at 23:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by zymo View Post
2. The E7 is delayed. It is expected to hit the stores in 2 or 3 weeks. Do you really think Nokia would announce the N9 in Q1 to hurt the sales of E7? Why should i buy an E7 if a more advanced similar form factor device is around the corner?
Do not mix E-series and N-series. N-series --> no business environment support out of box. IMO it sucks but that what Nokia has done and seems to keep on doing and they are also quite clear about this if you are able to read their home-page.

Tags
just shoot me, why??