Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by mattbutsko View Post
That's because Python is faster and has more logical,easier syntax. Gotta love Python.

Which one seems like a faster, more versatile language?

Point is, Python's supreme.
Hmm I also prefer Python instead of java cause it syntax and fast write small apps. But saying its faster than Java I am not sure about that do you have some benchmark or test showing that? Would be great to know if its the case yet another reason to dish Android then

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Hmm I also prefer Python instead of java cause it syntax and fast write small apps. But saying its faster than Java I am not sure about that do you have some benchmark or test showing that? Would be great to know if its the case yet another reason to dish Android then
A good Java VM implementation is much faster than Python. But Java is a bit of a nasty language imo, then again, I'm not a massive Python fan either, but I do like high level dynamic languages.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
What I meant was that it's faster to write than in Java due to it's simplified syntax. Speedwise, I believe Java is faster, but it's not very noticable - if at all.

Edit: I just pulled this off of a forum by a user named sturlamolden from Velocity Reviews and it sums up my own opinions as well as what I've been told from instructors:

- Coding? Yes, if you program 'pythonic'.

- String handling? Often.

- I/O and networking? Often.

- Iteration? No.

- Function calls and recursion? No.

- Arithmetics with elemental types? No.

- Numerics? Yes, if you use NumPy.

Last edited by mattbutsko; 2011-01-13 at 00:59.

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on May 2010 @ UK, London
Article about the N9 in 'The Gadget Show': http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show/gadge...to-star-at-mwc

apparently, its going to be announced at the MWC in feb. For more info see the link.

The Following User Says Thank You to kevinp93 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kevinp93 View Post
Article about the N9 in 'The Gadget Show': http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show/gadge...to-star-at-mwc

apparently, its going to be announced at the MWC in feb. For more info see the link.
That means we might be able to see one on local store shelves sometime
around Christmas, assuming that all the various regulatory thugs
get their properly stuffed brown envelopes from Nokia on time.

No sooner than that unless you live in Finland.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
now that meego is running on the Nexus S, I imagine it could be made to run on the htc desire z, so that would be the next best thing to a Nokia N9?

The Following User Says Thank You to speculatrix For This Useful Post:
T3 is a leading gadget magazine here in the UK. According to the latest edition (Dec 2010) the N9 will be launched i the first quarter of 2011 with the meego os.

T3 claims that Nokia are hoping the new os will erase all those bad memories we long time Nokia users had with symbian.

So can we expect the N9 before April? My personal prediction is no. I don't think Elop will risk his reputation. He'll want absolute surity that meego can be a real threat to the other operating systems out there before launching it on the world.

Nokia cannot afford to launch another os that fails to take on Android and Apple head to head, regardless of how good the hardware is.

Just my personal assessment.

Cheers

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to n900faniam For This Useful Post:
Unless something has changed, the N9 will not run MeeGo OS.It will be running what would have been Maemo6 OS (Harmattan) but with a MeeGo compatible layer.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Unless something has changed, the N9 will not run MeeGo OS.It will be running what would have been Maemo6 OS (Harmattan) but with a MeeGo compatible layer.
Well. I think a lot have changed.

Posts: 163 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by mattbutsko View Post
That's because Python is faster and has more logical,easier syntax. Gotta love Python.

Which one seems like a faster, more versatile language?

or

Point is, Python's supreme.
Hehe! Love that!

Tags
eat your brains, just shoot me, ok bang!, your dead