Active Topics

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
http://www.nokia.com/about-nokia/cor...xecutive-board

how about:

Alberto Torres
Executive Vice President, MeeGo Computers, Mobile Solutions
The link above is for the NOKIA USA site where the N8 is discounted $80.00 for the whole month of January (Orig.$549 and now $469) I guess they are not selling enough of them. Anyway I love my N900 with Maemo !.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
you guys shouldn't all blame android.
the new gingerbread is really nice and have some great features and google isn't as lazy as nokia.you can root your phone too and you have also some kind of "terminal".
if you guys want to wait for the next "real open source" phone then good luck with that.mybe 2012 will come something.
but there are many really great android phones with great specs coming and i will definetly upgrade.
regards
What are you talking about? You don't have to root an Android device to get a terminal. You have to root an Android device to gain root access. You can just download the official Android Terminal (or any number of third party terminals) if you want. Once you get root access, you can install busybox to get a better shell with more commands, though... maybe that's what you meant.

I agree, though, while the Maemo-faithful continue to hold strong to their faith and counting the days on their prayer beads for the day their almighty savior MeeGo comes out to redeem their souls and save them from the evils of Google, iPhone, Blackberry and everybody else they think is the devil... the Nokia competitors continue to actually innovate and improve their devices and push into the year 2011, while the most advanced smartphone Nokia has, the N900?, remains stuck in the year 2009.

And you wonder why I suggested that Nokia might be behind the curve? Even Apple has at least hinted that they're working on "the next thing" and people can generally guess what that means and feel assured that it'll be competitive. I don't sense that most people feel the same confidence in Nokia, I fear. I certainly don't.

Do you think Nokia is better not to address such concerns? Do you think they're not concerned at all? Do you think that Nokia can maintain its current perch at the top of "the most smartphones sold" over the next year or two with their current method of operating? How do you think Nokia could do better, or do you think they're doing just fine?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
What are you talking about? You don't have to root an Android device to get a terminal. You have to root an Android device to gain root access. You can just download the official Android Terminal (or any number of third party terminals) if you want. Once you get root access, you can install busybox to get a better shell with more commands, though... maybe that's what you meant.

I agree, though, while the Maemo-faithful continue to hold strong to their faith and counting the days on their prayer beads for the day their almighty savior MeeGo comes out to redeem their souls and save them from the evils of Google, iPhone, Blackberry and everybody else they think is the devil... the Nokia competitors continue to actually innovate and improve their devices and push into the year 2011, while the most advanced smartphone Nokia has, the N900?, remains stuck in the year 2009.

And you wonder why I suggested that Nokia might be behind the curve? Even Apple has at least hinted that they're working on "the next thing" and people can generally guess what that means and feel assured that it'll be competitive. I don't sense that most people feel the same confidence in Nokia, I fear. I certainly don't.

Do you think Nokia is better not to address such concerns? Do you think they're not concerned at all? Do you think that Nokia can maintain its current perch at the top of "the most smartphones sold" over the next year or two with their current method of operating? How do you think Nokia could do better, or do you think they're doing just fine?
Lol Hey, some of us bought the N900 only a year ago and are trying to get their money's worth(especially with dual core right around the corner, why "settle" for a Droid 2 or a G2 or similar phone. Also, unlocked phone was expensive, so got to have as much fun with it before the parties over.

Oh and I'm not offended or anything, just offering another viewpoint.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
OHH YEAH people, All fancy people. 357 days left and you can all waste a few £ $ € on a brand new meego phone.

to be really honest, all the new phone hardware specs i've been seeing this year are quite enticing, and like many others i'm disappointed with nokia's lack of support or news on new devices or meego, whatever its state. But when it comes down to brass tacks, i just don't see anything out in the marketplace that can do all the things my n900 ( outdated it may be ) can, and thats what really matters to me as an end-user at the end of the day. Its a big part of the reason i stuck with my n82 for so long even with all the new higher end touch screen phones that came out in 2009.

I might consider the Motorola Atrix when it comes out as a secondary phone, but its wholly dependent on whether it'll be able to replace my laptop for extensive word/excel/etc processing.

Last edited by porselinaheart; 2011-01-08 at 16:20.

The Following User Says Thank You to porselinaheart For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Where people even expecting something from Nokia in CES?!

I mean there was no Nokia keynote and not even booth. Nokia even said all this on their conversation blog. Nokia has never been big in CES as MWC is just around the corner

MWC has always been big event for Nokia and Elop will be one of the 4 main keynote speakers in MWC with CEO's from Qualcomm, Intel, and ATT.
Well, even they don't present any devices. They hopefully will comment the meego situation. Are the subjects for the keynotes offical?

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Well, even they don't present any devices. They hopefully will comment the meego situation. Are the subjects for the keynotes offical?
All the keynotes can be found from here.
Here's all the keynote speakers.
Nokia's keynote.

Actually reading the agenda page it seems like maybe nothing will be announced in the keynote discussions from the manufacturers. Only Google and Microsoft got keynotes just for them. HTC, Nokia, SE, RIM all who got keynote speakers got their turn somewhere after the first day and are part of a bigger discussion with many speakers.
Generally the devices have been announced on the first day of MWC and people have been able to try the phones out on the manufacturers stands.

Samsung that will for sure have devices announced in MWC does not have keynote speaker but a big stand in MWC still.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
three five six days left. Nice to wait a bit more...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I would like to take this time to invite everyone here to take a moment and thank Nokia, that in their infinite wisdom allows us some.. time in our wake for the N9.

'Tis time to reflect upon ourselves... whether we've all given back enough to the community, whether we've done our best to make use of our devices optimally and whether we're worthy of the N9.

Some time to recover our wallets, to ensure that we all would have a wad of cash to give Nokia as offerings for the mighty N9.

To enlighten ourselves of the GNU ways and GNU age thinking... so we can decipher the riddle that MeeGo is.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2011-01-09 at 10:35.

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
I wonder what all those people who bash Nokia on a daily basis say when (and if) the N9 will be released and it'd be an awesome device?
"It lacks the logo of a bitten apple"?
"It doesn't spy on you when you go to the toilets"?

Nah why am I worried? I bet they could find something to whine about pretty quick...

Btw, latest rumors say that the N9 will be introduced at MWC 2011, next month...

Last edited by efekt; 2011-01-09 at 10:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to efekt For This Useful Post:

Tags
best of 2011, douchebaggery, douchethread, fud fud fap fap, how to quote, i need drugs, wait for meego!, what is n9?, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz