Active Topics

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Elop is CEO...He is not running meego teams.
No, but he did take direct control of Vanjoki's former job as head of converged devices (Symbian + Meego) and hasn't annouced any replacement for Vanjoki so far.

I think it might be Peter Skillman. Anyone knows?
Skillman is UI/UX chief for Meego. That's at least one step down from Jaaksi's old position.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Elop is CEO...He is not running meego teams.
Trust me i know.
He wanted to take the position(Head of Mobile Solutions) personally before they find replacement for Vanjoki,

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Trust me i know.
He wanted to take the position(Head of Mobile Solutions) personally before they find replacement for Vanjoki,
That's why it takes forever. He must approve every line of code

Hope they find a meego boss soon

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
the new gingerbread is really nice and have some great features and google isn't as lazy as nokia.
If all I wanted were features, I'd have an Android phone by now.

you can root your phone too and you have also some kind of "terminal".
I refuse to be forced into a position where I have to find a local exploit to gain full control over my phone. It should be as simple as holding a button on powerup and selecting "yes," if not simpler.

And even then, I still don't want Android.

Hope they find a meego boss soon
They did, they snagged the guy from Palm.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
you guys shouldn't all blame android.
the new gingerbread is really nice and have some great features and google isn't as lazy as nokia.you can root your phone too and you have also some kind of "terminal".
if you guys want to wait for the next "real open source" phone then good luck with that.mybe 2012 will come something.
but there are many really great android phones with great specs coming and i will definetly upgrade.
regards
YES and QTQuick also progressing forward as an open soure alternative for developers.

Cant help it but I am so sick of this discussions about "how good Android is". Its all the same talk that the Iphone fanboys says everyday.

I can understand frustration about Nokia never release an Meego based phone but Android has also problems atleast in european countrys! Also the facts that Android is now in several versions on different phones that make problems for developers.

I hope I dont offend any Gingerbread develelopers but, gingerbread yeah nice, for the androidgeeks, but bad for Nokia and for endusers who prefer Maemo(and yes there IS people who love this OS atleast in european). But to me it seems like Gingerbread developers doesnt give QT/Qtquick a chance to progress/stabelize! Instead of writing QT apps the prefer too feed Google instead :-( Dont get me wrong I can understand people who like to test stuff but still... At the same time we dont get any QT apps and endusers whine ever more about no apps for Maemo/Meego and we get even more whine about "Android has sooo many more apps". Also this may hurt openess to because if we can tweek to much and install an not supported OS that ruin companys bussinessmodel well then they will close the doors totally instead of opening...

Again there is stuff that Nokia could do better but feed Google and drop symbian/Meego would just harm both for endusers and Nokia as a company! The same way as if Nokia is stupid enought drop Meego and just go WP7.

Endusers must have different choices! Microsoft has dominated in software/OS market too long and now its seems all people prefer Google Android but too me this is bad too. If people dont like Meego/Maemo phone go get an Android based phone but dont say to me that I must use it. Atleast me want choices :-)

By saying all mobilemanufactors should going Googles Android is just stupid as saying all people must use Microsoft Windows on its stationary computers.

Just my :-)

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-01-07 at 20:27.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
http://www.nokia.com/about-nokia/cor...xecutive-board

how about:

Alberto Torres
Executive Vice President, MeeGo Computers, Mobile Solutions

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
http://www.nokia.com/about-nokia/cor...xecutive-board

how about:

Alberto Torres
Executive Vice President, MeeGo Computers, Mobile Solutions
You are right, forgot Torres.
Though to me at least it seems like there's no clear MeeGo leader as the Maemo/MeeGo has grown so much inside the company.

Imo whiles Torres and Elop might be painting the big picture, much of the stuff we will see on Nokia's MeeGo will be from Ahtisaari as he lead of design and user experience and has been at least been actively talking about MeeGo, where's Skillman works for him (Ahtisaari).
There's actually rumour going on in mobile-review forum that the UI has changed hugely in couple of months after Skillman came in.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by tissot; 2011-01-07 at 21:16.

Well, I am hearing that Ahtisaari has little or nothing to do with Meego. So how the f knows. Just get it out.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Viipottaja View Post
Well, I am hearing that Ahtisaari has little or nothing to do with Meego. So how the f knows. Just get it out.
Ahtisaari is in charge of industrial design. He has something to do with physical design of all Nokia products. Propably nothing to do with software development.

Off-Topic, but things on industrial design side have really picked up since Ahtisaari took charge. Ugly plasticky desings are gone. C7 is just damn beautifull and N8, X3 Touch, E7 are all good designs. Even C6-01 considering the budget/price constraints. Not that he will ever get away from nepotism accusations.

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Ahtisaari is in charge of industrial design. He has something to do with physical design of all Nokia products. Propably nothing to do with software development.
That's what i thought for long time, but he is Senior Vice President, Design and User Experience.

Day before Skillman joined Nokia officially he said in a podcast that he would be working for Ahtisaari.

EDIT: And totally agree with the design part. I'm huge fan of the industrial design we are seeing on N8, E7 and hopefully on the new MeeGo devices as well,

Tags
best of 2011, douchebaggery, douchethread, fud fud fap fap, how to quote, i need drugs, wait for meego!, what is n9?, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz