I have been trying for a couple weeks now to get usb networking working on my n800 so that I can use it at work (where we have no wireless access), but I have so far been unsuccessful. This topic is covered in many different wiki pages, but the information is rather fragmented, and it's kind of difficult to piece together which steps are for the 770, the n800, different firmware versions, etc., so I'm hoping someone here can help me. Here's what I've done so far:

After many unsuccessful attempts mucking around, I decided to do a fresh flash, with the newest version of the firmware, and start over.

Since I'm working with Windows XP at work, I started with this page. But, it says for the n800, to ignore all steps pertaining to the 770 since bora supplies the "maemo-statusbar-usbnet" applet. The phrasing there would make me think that this applet is already installed, but upon finding it wasn't, and didnt' appear to be in any of the repositories either, I googled it, and found next to nothing. I did have the .deb on my desktop from my previous attempts, so I tried using that. The application manager reported that it was incompatible. So, I figured I had to find a different way to do it.

Since I could find no other methods of setting up usb networking on windows, I decided to try using the n800 steps from this page and then go on to the windows steps for the previous page. Using gainroot as described there returned a message along the lines of "Enable R&D mode if you want to brick your device", so I then used these directions to get root access. Now that I had root access, I tried to
Code:
Nokia-N800: # insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.18-omap1/g_ether.ko
with the usb cable connected as the directions said, but my device tells me
Code:
insmod: cannot insert '/mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.18-omap1/g_ether.ko': Device or resource busy (-1): Device or resource busy
So now I'm a little lost...Any help?

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ France
Hi
Try to umount mmc cards before charging g_ether.ko module :
umount /media/mmc1
umount /media/mmc2
insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.18-omap1/g_ether.ko

David.

Thank you! It took a couple tries, but I finally figured it out. With the cable unplugged I unmounted the memory cards, then plugged it back in and issued the insmod command. I can finally ssh to my n800 over usb! I'm not sure if I can access the internet from it though...If I'm understanding the directions correctly, I have to set up internet connection sharing in windows in order to do that...but when I try to enable it on my network adapter, it says that it will automatically set the ip address to a certain static ip, which I obviously can't do on our network here...is there any other way of doing it?

The Following User Says Thank You to averyml For This Useful Post:
BTW - I see the maemo-statusbar-usbnet applet when I enable red pill mode. Didn't see it before.

Thanks! I got things going really easily with the official on2008! I can now download stuff from an xterm...

The one problem that I have is when I fire up the browser [or anything else that accesses the internet for that matter] it keeps on trying to connect wirelessly rather that using the wired connection. Any idea how to stop this happening?

thanks

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ West Coast,USA
therblack;

control panel;connectivity;deselect 'connect automatically'

this may help

The Following User Says Thank You to viking938 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
Originally Posted by dwmcqueen View Post
BTW - I see the maemo-statusbar-usbnet applet when I enable red pill mode. Didn't see it before.
is this still available? i dont have access to the intarwebs via my nokia right now...
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by brendan View Post
is this still available? i dont have access to the intarwebs via my nokia right now...
Code:
andrew@serenity:~$ ssh nit

BusyBox v1.6.1 (2007-09-27 18:08:59 EEST) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

~ $ apt-cache show maemo-statusbar-usbnet   
W: Unable to locate package maemo-statusbar-usbnet
E: No packages found
Gronmayer.com says there's a bora version in repository.maemo.org. So it's intended for use in Scratchbox or similar, from Packages:

Code:
Package: maemo-statusbar-usbnet
Priority: optional
Section: unknown
Installed-Size: 180
Maintainer: Maemo Integration <integration@maemo.org>
Architecture: armel
Version: 0.6-1
Replaces: maemo-dm
Conflicts: maemo-dm
Filename: pool/maemo3.2/free/binary/maemo-statusbar-usbnet_0.6-1_armel.deb
Size: 13742
MD5sum: f3e68ea5626e3e3de21394dada4661a3
Description: USB networking statusbar plugin
 This package contains statusbar and control panel plugin and standalone application to enable/disable MMC&&UsbNet
HTH,

Andrew

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Russia, Moscow
aflegg, ok, I can install it on OS2008. But it doesn't work anyway.

umount /media/mmc1
umount /media/mmc2
this will completely unmount both sd-cards
but it's much more interesting keep them mounted but terminate USB-connection to them from PC

idea is simple - if you unmount these cards, then you will loose storage for downloading files from Internet over USB...

any ideas how to break USB-connection to sd-cards but not unmount them?