Active Topics

I installed xterm and bash with the Application Installer.
Now, I could not find the Extras folder when those applications sould appear in the applications menu.

I rebooted the tablet, to no avail. And yes, the two applications appear as already installed in the Application Installer.

Am I missing something obvious?

Last edited by gnok; 2006-02-05 at 21:36.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ The Netherlands
The first program I tried to install, Doom,... didn't show up in the menu either. Did not find what the problem is, but the programs I installed after Doom all did show up

Thanx for the advice. I installed a third app (Ogg Vorbis player), and it now shows up in Extras. But the two first ones are still not accessible.

I went on installing 2 or 3 more apps, and only the one same app keeps (Ogg Vorbis) appearing in Extras.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ The Netherlands
I just de-installed Doom and re-installed it and now it is under the Extra menu. So maybe you just have to install some programs and then de-install and re-install the programs that were missing in the menu too.

Perhaps some installers aren't savy enough to create the Extras menu if it doesn't already exist. I've never experienced the problem, but as a shell programmer, I can see how some installers may make the mistake. As TVD implied, try de-installing and re-installing the faulty programs. If the Extras menu already exists in the file system, maybe the faulty programs will correctly add themselves to it.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
bash won't[1] show up in the Extras menu as its designed to be run from within XTerm, not standalone.

[1] I could be wrong, and it might have a .desktop file to start xterm and start bash within that xterm - however I'd be surprised. Probably pleasantly, TBH...

In my initial message, I mentioned that bash was not appearing in the Extras menu. Thinking about that, I believe this is normal, as this is not a stand-alone gui application; it needs xterm.

In my initial message, I had also mentioned xterm, which rightly appears as a GUI app on the maemo.org site. Xterm does not appear in the Extras menu after the install.
The version I downloaded is http://770.fs-security.com/xterm/fil...m_0.11_arm.deb

Thisis a MAJOR problem, as xterm is necessary for running all the command-line applications.

I downloaded a fresh copy of the xterm package, installed it, and it now shows up in Extras.

Lesson learned: do not trust the integrity of what is downloaded with the browser provided with the 770.