Active Topics

Notices

Open office through chroot is the only way to go for creating, editing, and reading basically all MS Office files. In my experience all programs Documents To Go, Abiword etc. fail to open large MS word documents correctly except for OOo through chroot. Just overclock to ~850mhz and you're ready to read, edit, and create files. Sorry, I know this doesn't really belong here it's just that I've found Documents To Go frustrating as a paid non-open source project that appears to work to a large extent more poorly than open source alternatives.

Posts: 424 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sweden
едц works now. good.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I find it funny how in a lot of ways, DataViz has been behind FreOffice since FreOffice finally got editing support... almost half a year ago now, I think it's been? *Shrug* The only problem was the FreOffice had horrible input-method bugs that made making new files sometimes entirely unworkable. So in that sense, IE, reliability, Documents to Go has been better. (Which I suppose is what mattered to people who needed to edit those documents right then and there on the phone back before FreOffice worked out its kinks.)

@happymonkey - back when EasyDebian came out, I believe it was noted that even without overclocking OOo worked fine - it just needed a little time to load and initialize, but after that it worked smoothly.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
My gripe is that they replaced a perfectly working Gtk+ viewer application with a half-assed Qt editor one.

The Gtk+ one looked better, was faster, and at this point had more viewer features than the current Qt one. I am sure that, were them to add editing support to the Gtk+ version, they wouldn't have had problems with the input method support.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I agree, but at the same time, I can see why they did it - with Qt, they can mass port it to all their future phone offerings. Of course, they could've just included GTK+support in all their future OS's, but, well, they chose Qt for whatever reason, and I can kinda see why, but eh.

I would argue that if they keep the contributions up, the Qt version will turn out to be a better move. However, that all depends on the success Nokia and the MeeGo project have in bringing Qt into mass use.

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
after "buying" the upgrade...via dataviz

i try to download the upgrade...

the program manager starts.... then.....

"installation not possible"

what must i do?

Last edited by geobueck; 2010-12-28 at 08:51.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by geobueck View Post
after "buying" the upgrade...via dataviz

i try to download the upgrade...

the program manager starts.... then.....

"installation not possible"

what must i do?
I don't recall any installation required - just activation. Once you purchase the upgrade, you will be given new registration number and activation code. Just go to Activate features and update the new ID. That worked for me. I bought the viewer pack and upgraded to premium.

Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
I don't recall any installation required - just activation. Once you purchase the upgrade, you will be given new registration number and activation code. Just go to Activate features and update the new ID. That worked for me. I bought the viewer pack and upgraded to premium.
if i try to open the "docs to go " -icon and activate the new ID...

the file-manager opens and tries to install the docs to go and then fails.... but i still can use sheet togo/slideshow to go an

what now??? uninstall and reinstall??---- edit....

uninstall of the docs to go worked.... but... reinstall didnt..... maybe because i bought via dataviz and now the reinstall directs me to ovi (germany) ??

Last edited by geobueck; 2010-12-28 at 09:58.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by geobueck View Post
if i try to open the "docs to go " -icon and activate the new ID...

the file-manager opens and tries to install the docs to go and then fails.... but i still can use sheet togo/slideshow to go an

what now??? uninstall and reinstall??---- edit....

uninstall of the docs to go worked.... but... reinstall didnt..... maybe because i bought via dataviz and now the reinstall directs me to ovi (germany) ??
Same thing. I bought through Dataviz online. And activated through the Document To Go that came with the phone. How about installing the new Document To Go premium trial 2 and activating with that?

Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
Same thing. I bought through Dataviz online. And activated through the Document To Go that came with the phone. How about installing the new Document To Go premium trial 2 and activating with that?
reinstall of docs to to premium trial 2 fails as well...

is it possible to solve this via x-term?