Active Topics

I would be very, very surprised if they did this but...

This is what Palm did in a similar situation. When they lost market leadership by not innovating the original PalmOS (I'm talking Garnet), they shipped Windows Mobile smartphones for a while to pay the bills.

The difference is Nokia may be losing high end market share but they are not hurting to pay the bills. I can't imagine them taking engineering and software resources away from Symbian, QT, and Meego so they can compete on the WP7 platform.

I call BS on this one...

Eldar is sitting in a bar somewhere laughing his butt off over this rumor.
David
David

I think there is a possibility that Elop, coming from a non-mobile background, thought that his first task coming to Nokia would be to get them on board the WP7 boat; because it is "shiny".

Hopefully his first weeks in the job showed him that such a move is not good, at all.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Helsinki
Would be idiotic to bring Windows to Nokia.

Symbian^3 and MeeGo is the way.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by kinipyon View Post
Would be idiotic to bring Windows to Nokia.

Symbian^3 and MeeGo is the way.
Yes, You live close to the headquarter. Please go there and tell them that before they do something stupid.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
eldar hasn't been in the headlines recently? well, this is one way to handle such issue especially when there are problems getting unreleased models from nokia for review.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
I think there is a possibility that Elop, coming from a non-mobile background, thought that his first task coming to Nokia would be to get them on board the WP7 boat; because it is "shiny".

Hopefully his first weeks in the job showed him that such a move is not good, at all.
I have thought over 10 years also that noone should use MS Windows when there is Linux distributions which enable much much more; but still most of the relatives and people I know in RL use MS Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.

Technically best does not always win. Think Amiga.

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
last month rumor was they was in talks with google ceo about android
this month its with Microsoft about WP7.
January there will be new rumors of a discussion with the Linux foundation about MeeGo.
Wrong apple first!

Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
- Google would love Nokia to use Android

- Microsoft would love Nokia to use WP7

It would be weird if both Microsoft and Google representatives were not directly in contact with Nokia, trying to push their respective platforms.

'QmlReddit' reads Reddit!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vivainio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 352 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vancouver
Nokia, has made 2 big mistake and one relay good move.

1) they dide'nt innovate and evolve Simpian fast enough and thought it would have a longer shelf life.

(good move) Meamo, was the perfect long term strategy for total market domination provided Simbian didn't become obsolete overnight and maemo could grow organically. This trajectory was a game change and the only reason I own an n810 and an n900. (there was defiantly talent in Nokias strategy team to try this.)

2) The second mistake is discovering the first mistake, and attempting to accelerate a good move to cover for it. Canning Maemo and switching gears to MeeGo thinking you getting ahead and springing off the back of Maemo. This mistake is so huge I believe they will loose the community, enthusiasts and the power users and eventualy the market.

so given the mistakes above WP7 looks like a good idea right now.
personal i cant see it succeeding either, but then it i am not on the parole and there success wasn't compromised by going with WP7 but more to the point dropping maemo, community.

Originally Posted by binjinx View Post
Dont think of it as them dropping meego

But expanding their portfolio look at HTC they dont have a OS (yet) but pretty much took the world by storm just making HW for other OSes
Nokia isn't HTC.

HTC is a hardware company. They don't have any single software platform they want to promote. They do not care how many Android phones they sell - they only care about the total number of phones they sell. For them, it makes a lot of sense to diversify.

Nokia is a completely different story. As long as Nokia invests in developing and promoting Meego, they cannot "diversify". Selling win7 phones means selling less Meegos, which means - sabotaging their Meego effort.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sela For This Useful Post:

Tags
armageddon, circle jerk, going down, horoscope, internet eldars, mental jerk off, nokia of borg, phone different, rumors, unfounded