Active Topics

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@mike: I would suggest to put the news item in front of your thoughts and speculations... for example:

Subject: Q&A with Marko Ahtisaari (Sr Vice President of Industrial Design @ Nokia) at LeWeb 2010

Content: Link, image and interesting excepts from that particular article.
Following that, you put a write up on your thoughts and comments about the article.

By framing the news article as the topic, then you're opening up discussion and you're bringing interesting new bits to the community.

Now, this thread is titled 'n9 i dont think the old leak will ever get released'... and the first post...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
to me this really sounds like
To keep it short - you're reading too much into it. It's not a MeeGo teaser-interview, it's more about the big picture than any particular device. Unless you want to be speculating just for fun, of course

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
MORE DULL KOMBAT!!!!!!!!! dah dah dah dahdah dah dah dahdah dah dah....
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
nokia meego core UI will be more closed than maemo3/4/5
But the vanilla UI isn't, so it doesn't mean we can't modify the UI, I like the vanilla MeeGo UI anyway.

As for N9 not having a keyboard, what?

Closed just mean less bugs
Funny stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to mattbutsko For This Useful Post:
if you did you probadly had seen how he talked about 'not having any physical buttons on a phone'. I dont say that is bad IF the UI has something new revolutionary replacing it. thats one of the reason I did say hw keyboard maybe not will come on meego. Too me hes talk sound very intresting cause that means the UI will hopefully be alot better than meego reference design :-)
If you read some more lines you will see that he talks about having a screen as big as possible and thats why there should not be any buttons. And the way I see it a HW-keyboard have nothing to do with the screen size

The Following User Says Thank You to Lullen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Lullen View Post
If you read some more lines you will see that he talks about having a screen as big as possible and thats why there should not be any buttons. And the way I see it a HW-keyboard have nothing to do with the screen size
Also, the hardware keyboard is for text input only. It's not meant to control anything on the UI.... like maybe a D-pad would. Or the sort of soft keys that S60v3 needs. That's the type of "buttons" he talks about.

BTW, I like such buttons on smartphones. Touchscreens basically suck.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Really dude..

Another standalone thread for yet another flavor of fantasy speculations and not-quite-factual commentaries...?
Fiction never goes out of style... it just changes names sometimes.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
for those saying i spreading "fud or fantasies" did you read the article?

if you did you probadly had seen how he talked about 'not having any physical buttons on a phone'. I dont say that is bad IF the UI has something new revolutionary replacing it. thats one of the reason I did say hw keyboard maybe not will come on meego. Too me hes talk sound very intresting cause that means the UI will hopefully be alot better than meego reference design :-)

also the fact that he said 'it comes when its ready. what I meant with my coment was we cannot even be sure this will happen first half 2011. we can only still hope.

So dont say I am spreading fud, I just come to my own conclusion based on article . maybe wrong maybe correct. To me some of above is logical in a company perspective. Alot has changed internally since n900 was released:

* Maemo abandoned. replaced by meego
* Meego should replace symbian in n series. now we dont know anymore.
* Meego was focus now symbian seems be base os again
* Corba ui in symbian replaced by qtquick
* No symbian 4 just backport to S^3
* libmeegohandset UI replaced by qtquick
* nfc on all smartphones changed to not all smartphone.
* e7 moved to Q1 2011

How many here believed all above would happen in a year?

Too me that was more unlike a year ago than my so called fud...

No keyboard just mean no keyboard on the front face.

I think you should see the 19 minutes version,

When the host asked Marko about N8,

the host said : there is no key on N8 now.

Marko answered : There is still one key (the home key on the left down side)

So he mean there is no key on front face.

I am thinking, if the host on LeWeb take out a N900,

and asked : there is no key on N900 (front face)

Then Marko will have nothing to say.

Because N900 also have no keyboard/button on front face.

from this aspect, the coming N9 has no progress upon N900.

Originally Posted by Lullen View Post
His comments about having a "big screen" and allowing people to "keep their head up" has got me thinking. If you want to remove physical buttons then logically you have to replace them with one of 2 things (at least i could only come up with 2 things):
1. touch screen buttons, which is not revolutionary, not thinking outside the box, and really just not a good solution.
2. gesture interfaces. Now some mobile phones do have certain gesture based interaction (e.g. pinch to zoom, flick tabs in webos to close, circle to zoom in/out in maemo). Having a mobile interface that relied many on gestures (while possibly having a steep learning curve) could indeed made interacting with the device quick and easy once you learned all the movements. And having a large screen on which to do these gestures would naturally be a benefit.

meh, idk... am i over thinkings this?

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post
Closed just mean less bugs ? That is not a problem.
No. Closed means if nokia can't be arsed to fix the bugs then nobody else can.

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:

Tags
banal drip, be true, chuck norris, fud fud fap fap, more fud, no no no, this can't