Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
UPDATE (11/12/10 @ 3.27am):
cuteTube 0.9.8.1 in extras-devel soon.
  • Added video sharing via Facebook.
  • Added option to set application to landscape-only mode.
  • Incomplete downloads are now saved upon exit.
  • Some cleaning up of the UI.
  • Fixed a bug which resulted in the application not displaying all results returned by the YouTube API.

My website

GitHub

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Can I request a feature, please? I would like to be able to playback multiple YouTube videos, one after another:
1. Multiple videos either via:
(a) Checkbox selection
(b) From a subscription / channel
(c) From a category (e.g. science & tech, comedy)

2. Mutiple videos playback ordering:
(a) Based on ratings (asc or desc)
(b) Based on published date/time
(c) Based on video desciption
(d) Based on the order it was selected from 1a
(e) Random

The reason why I have this request is because I sometimes just like watching YouTube videos for no real reason, and just to kill time, or to catch up with what I've been missing from a particular channel for the past week...

I would really appreciate it if you can implement this...and hope that other N900 users will have this requirement as well.

Ta.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Feature 1. (a) is already available. Select videos - add to queue - go to queue - click 'Play queue'. I will not be implementing any additional features at this point. My efforts will be focused on improving error handling/logging and addressing any remaining bugs/performance issues.

It has occurred to me that not everyone is familiar with the existing features of the application. I plan on writing a short manual and making it accessible from the 'About' dialog, which should address this issue.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Hi marxian, thank you for the prompt reply! My bad for not noticing that 1a is already implemented. This is the best Youtube app for the N900, and I really like it. Looking forward to my short manual!

The Following User Says Thank You to chatbox For This Useful Post:
I just tried the Multiselect and Add to Queue features. Here are some comments if you don't mind:
1. After enabling Multi-select, and selected, say, 3 videos, press and hold one the selection and choose add to queue will only add one video to queue. Preferred behaviour is to add "all" selected videos to queue when in multi-select mode.

2. In non multi-select mode, "Add to queue" requires the user entered into the video page (i.e. another depth). IMHO, this is good when the user is "already" in the video page, but when would be even better if there is an additional button the user can use to add a video to queue from the list view as well (when not in multi-select mode). One of the poor design in touch base devices is the need to press, hold, and wait for a popup context menu (such as on Windows mobile devices...hate waiting for a popup menu)

3. When already in multi-select mode, with a few selection already made, going to queue, then back again will cause the GUI to be back in non-multi-select mode...and selection is lost. Preferred not to lose the selection if possbile.

4. In Queue list view, there's currently no multi-select mode to remove multiple videos from the queue at the same time (has to remove one by one).

5. Play Queue always starts from the first video. Would be great if we can start the queue playback from the selected/focused video.

6. Would be great to have queue loop, random, single video loop...etc.

I understand that you will not be implementing any new features anytime soon. Just want to make a note of it while they're fresh in my head. Cheers.

Last edited by chatbox; 2010-12-11 at 05:19.

Amazing work marxian. Thank you!

The Following User Says Thank You to Acidspunk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ india
hi
when i try and download from the APP manager it shows me the following problems

any thoughts...
thanks
Attached Images

dhanurdhar, you can go to root from xterminal and type in
apt-get install cutetube
this should then install the app

Hope this helps

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leojab For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
UPDATE (11/12/10 @ 3.27am):
cuteTube 0.9.8.1 in extras-devel soon.
  • Added video sharing via Facebook.
  • Added option to set application to landscape-only mode.
  • Incomplete downloads are now saved upon exit.
  • Some cleaning up of the UI.
  • Fixed a bug which resulted in the application not displaying all results returned by the YouTube API.

Amazing brilliant job man !

I have a question that might be a little bit off topic, i'm wondering why isn't there any stand-alone app for MSN Yahoo and Facebook chat for the N900 ? Something similar to e-buddy and Nimbuzz ? Using the Pidgin protocols with the native IM client on the phone is a real pain, it slows the phone down and has very limited functionality. This is the only thing im missing on my old Symbian phone. I understand that e-buddy and Nimbuzz will not be developing compatible versions of their apps for Maemo, but question is: Is it really that hard to create such an app from scratch ? I mean with the amazing work you have done with the Youtube app, i don't think its that hard to create an app similar to Nimbuzz. My background about this is not very great but i would say the hard part would be the protocols. I just wanted to know if it's possible to create such an app ?

Thanks alot.

Last edited by Orlando; 2010-12-11 at 12:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to Orlando For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I will not be implementing any additional features at this point. My efforts will be focused on improving error handling/logging and addressing any remaining bugs/performance issues.
Good. I could feel a case of bloatware coming on. Many times simpler is better and cuteTube is just about perfect as is. You can't (and shouldn't) include every feature anyone might possibly want.

That said, I feel guilty saying I'd still like to see uploading videos added. It's the one important function that's still missing.

It has occurred to me that not everyone is familiar with the existing features of the application. I plan on writing a short manual and making it accessible from the 'About' dialog, which should address this issue.
Great idea! Now if people will actually read it...should simplify things for you.

Many, many thanks for all you've done.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:

Tags
youtube