Originally Posted by optimistprime View Post
That would be incorrect. You "gave" Nokia $600, and Nokia gave you your N900. There was no promise in literature that you recieved with it that you would have quarterly updates or anything. You made a decision like the rest of us to take a chance on a non-mainstream OS. I couldnt be happier with mine, and I've had it since November 2009. Its like buying a car in its first production run. Maybe you shouldnt have taken the chance on it.
It is like you are proud that Nokia promised nothing and delivered on it. There is a sort of implied promise when you pay $600+ and the competition is going like gangbusters to make keep their comparable devices ahead of the curve.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
must I play my "step 4/5" -card again? what is wrong with you when the same fud must be corrected n+1 times in this thread.
You just made me angry. your "card" is worthless.
Seriously, did you sign any "Experiment closure" with Nokia?
No, Noone did. I dont give a **** thats for them its a "step".
We payed a full price for a phone in beta state at best. If Nokia had sold it for less while specifying its impending short "death" i would agree with your "card". That is not the issue, so i would say i'd want the treatment every other Nokia custumer is getting, like someone here said, the 5800 is still getting updates.

So if we sum things up, it looks like most of us got f**** by Nokia:
1. We payed full price.
2. We "helped" them with their little experiment or step.
3. We didnt get the support that is entitled with buying such an expensive device.

P.S: I am happy with my N900 nontheless.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ironm8 For This Useful Post:
Funny I am torn. I want meego to succeed because at some point I want a kick *** linux device in my pocket. At the same time I actually think Nokia deserves to fail. Does anyone else have these split feelings?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:
Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by sak500 View Post
... launched n8 which is crappiest phone i've seen. ...
Wow! You need to get out more. There are plenty of devices crappier than the N8.

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
It is like you are proud that Nokia promised nothing and delivered on it. There is a sort of implied promise when you pay $600+ and the competition is going like gangbusters to make keep their comparable devices ahead of the curve.

No, I am proud that i did the investigation and paid for a device that does everything I thought and was told that it could and couldnt do. I am proud that i paid $549 for a device that is able to be configured how I like and has the support of a good bunch of people in this community. Nokia gave you a hardware warranty with your device and didnt imply anything to you. Technology becomes obsolete as soon as the device is in the consumers hands. $600 was the price you paid to learn the lesson. I couldve taught you that for $100.

The Following User Says Thank You to optimistprime For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ironm8 View Post
We payed a full price for a phone in beta state at best. If Nokia had sold it for less while specifying its impending short "death" i would agree with your "card".
Now as far as I remember, Nokia did tell us that the N900 would not be supported for long. They told me even before the N900 was released. They informed me about the next iteration of the OS (that was already in the making then), they told me it was due in late 2010 and that in would not run on the N900s hardware. So when I bought my N900, I expected active development until roughly Sept 2010.

About the price: You don't know anything about the price. Maybe they did sell it for less. Maybe under different circumstances they'd have sold it for €800,- and we got it cheaper because it's a public beta device (as they told us).

Anyway. The N900 isn't dead. Nokia will support it as long as they're obliged to do so according to national laws (which usually depends on when youi bought it, not when they launched it). This whole thread is just embarrassing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Now as far as I remember, Nokia did tell us that the N900 would not be supported for long. They told me even before the N900 was released. They informed me about the next iteration of the OS (that was already in the making then), they told me it was due in late 2010 and that in would not run on the N900s hardware. So when I bought my N900, I expected active development until roughly Sept 2010.
Nokia must have whispered that very quietly in a sound-proof room because I don't think many people got that message.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
... This whole thread is just embarrassing.
This thread illustrates what can happen when one upset person makes a remark and someone runs with it. It makes no difference how accurate or inaccurate the original remark was, once it loses it's original context it takes on a life of its own.

Thread history: A person, not a Nokia employee as far as can be told, made a bugzilla remark indicating Nokia was no longer supporting Maemo5. That remark then re-surfaced here and the fun began.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:

About the price: You don't know anything about the price. Maybe they did sell it for less. Maybe under different circumstances they'd have sold it for €800,- and we got it cheaper because it's a public beta device (as they told us).

Anyway. The N900 isn't dead. Nokia will support it as long as they're obliged to do so according to national laws (which usually depends on when youi bought it, not when they launched it). This whole thread is just embarrassing.
i did a really extensive search before buying my n900, so i knew it was for me. But i heard nowhere about a "shortened time support".
Even here, when i bought it in April there was no sign for it.
Only when nokia announced Meego not for n900 it all this started.

About the price, lets use logic. Palm Pre was out at about the time and had under its hood more or less the same hardware as the N900.
Same goes for the Droid/Milestone. All those had the same price tag more or less. So no, we didnt get a "beta" discount.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ironm8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by ironm8 View Post
About the price, lets use logic. Palm Pre was out at about the time and had under its hood more or less the same hardware as the N900.
Same goes for the Droid/Milestone. All those had the same price tag more or less. So no, we didnt get a "beta" discount.
because its not a "beta" device

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Tags
fat lady, hardly knew ya, ignore list, needs locking, troll party, trollercoaster, trolololo, wawawaaaa., whinge fest