Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by msa View Post
this comment is wrong on so many levels.
customers like you encourage companies like nokia to drop products ASAP.
they cannot drop a product that i already bought. it's a treaty: money for phone. both parties delivered. no more business relationship. no more expectations.

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Dubai
I wish nokia ends up like erricson and merges with some other company. Screwed us with n900 and launched n8 which is crappiest phone i've seen. Glad i shifted to iphone 4 few months back. U guys were still clutching the straws and dissing people who were leaving n900 platform. I still use it for listening to mp3 in the toilet and this is where nokia deserves to be, not the n900 though. I will wait for port of meego on it and still have NITdroid on it.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by P@t View Post
Apart from that, I never expected a lot of support from Nokia given the limited user base.
What comes first: lack of support or limited user base?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
they cannot drop a product that i already bought. it's a treaty: money for phone. both parties delivered. no more business relationship. no more expectations.
Would you have bought the N900 if Nokia had said that it would never fix any bugs?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smoothc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Originally Posted by sak500 View Post
I wish nokia ends up like erricson and merges with some other company. Screwed us with n900 and launched n8 which is crappiest phone i've seen. Glad i shifted to iphone 4 few months back. U guys were still clutching the straws and dissing people who were leaving n900 platform. I still use it for listening to mp3 in the toilet and this is where nokia deserves to be, not the n900 though. I will wait for port of meego on it and still have NITdroid on it.
I actually agree with you about replacing the N900 BUT an Iphone 4? You've not passivated any loyalty to your N900 , shame on you.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
it's a treaty: money for phone. both parties delivered. no more business relationship. no more expectations.
Businesses that treat their customers like that don't tend to stay in business for long. Even with a monopoly, MS goes through the motions of providing support and bugfixes for their dodgy products.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Personally, I don't see any continual bugs that hinder me using this as a day-to-day device. Maybe its my usage habits, maybe its my setup, and even still - maybe its the fact that I had realistic expectations and didn't expect miracles on a device that, like all electronic devices, has a lifespan. My N900 has served me well and will continue to serve me well until the next device hits. Even then, I don't see a particularly compelling reason to jump ship immediately. I've gotten comfortable with the flexibility and performance of my N900. It still turns heads and makes people "ooh" and "ahh"... not a primary concern, but it shows that it hasn't outlived its welcome. Altogether, I feel that I got what I paid for: a customizable REAL linux phone that is a capable tablet computer. $550? Who cares?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Since the announcement of Meego we all knew this day would come.

When I bought my n900 last year I was new to maemo.org and had no idea how Nokia treated their "tablet" market - when I eventually realised the situation I though "Nah, Nokia wouldn't do it again - that would be corporate suicide!".

Nokia must be a fan of Britany Spears because "Oops, I did it again!".

What happens when a meego-based device is released and Nokia decide to "reset" everything again?

Whether you buy and android, iPhone or Windows-based device you have a certain expectation of support - e.g. Owners of 3rd-gen iPhones have updated to the latest OS. I know a Blackberry owner who has updated his aging device to the latest OS too.

These days users expect more

Can you imagine a business using n900s as thier standard issue devices and then being told support has ceased within a year of buying them (especially at £500 each)?

You would go mental!

Thankfully the n900 is partly open-source which means despite Nokia effectively ceasing support for the phone, people can extend it's useful life by writing software.

My n900 is extremely useful to me because it runs Linux and many apps have been ported over (not possible with android).

When I am ready to upgrade I will be extremely wary of buying a Nokia-based device.

I am unwilling to wait for a Meego-based device and do not expect to install meego on my n900 (Are there still issues with charging the n900 under meego?).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Since the announcement of Meego we all knew this day would come.
since the revelation of Harmattans features it was reasonable to expect that this day would come approximately Q3/2010...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:

Tags
fat lady, hardly knew ya, ignore list, needs locking, troll party, trollercoaster, trolololo, wawawaaaa., whinge fest